    about 200 metres, which we want to upgrade to 54 or 108 mbps.

    What is the kind of cost we would be looking at and which companies in
    Christchurch could do the work?
    SchoolTech, Aug 5, 2005

  2. SchoolTech wrote:
    > We want to connect two buildings on our sites on opposite sides of a
    > road with a wireless link. We already have a link at 10 or 11mbps over
    > about 200 metres, which we want to upgrade to 54 or 108 mbps.
    >
    > What is the kind of cost we would be looking at and which companies in
    > Christchurch could do the work?

    Save money, do it yourself,I would use two linksys wrt54g routers,
    one in access point mode,the other in client mode.

    In your case I would sveasoft firmware(google)

    I may be telling my grandmother how to suck eggs,but be
    sure you have good line of sight between antennas,
    no tree branches etc.

    The way we have done them is to add cable from the
    powerpack,and mount the routers in plastic boxes
    under the eaves,power over ethernet can be fiddly.

    Use LMR 400 from the access points to the antennas.
    Borg wireless NZ sell adapters that hooks up
    your coax N connectors to the access points.

    You can use the same antennas

    To start I would Google wrt54g and community wireless.

    whoops,almost forgot,with the SVeasoft firmware
    it is simple to set the power output,over 200
    metres I would start at 40 mw

    grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Aug 7, 2005