    top dont seem to be able to run both machines together
    --
    Gren
    ellivnerg, Sep 5, 2008

  2. "ellivnerg" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Have a desktop running via modem to phone socket (Virgin). Bought new
    > Laptop
    > and NetgearG wireless to run laptop. Seems to have set up ok on laptop.
    > but
    > when I run desktop from bedroom phoneplug it works ok until powers is
    > switched onto the wireless trans. for the lap top then I loose line for
    > desk
    > top dont seem to be able to run both machines together

    You can't do that.

    I assume the "NetgearG wireless" is a Netgear Wireless Router?

    The "router" (instead of the desktop), ...using the "WAN Port" (or "internet
    port") on the back, ...plugs into the Modem,...which the modem then in turn
    plugs into the phone socket.

    The Desktop then plugs into one of the "switch ports" (not the wan port) on
    the back of the "router".

    The Laptop connects the the Netgear "wirelessly"

    The "router" is really the only thing that is actually connected to the
    Internet and it is the only thing (besides the modem) that the Internet
    Provider is going to be aware of. Everything else (no matter if wired or
    wireless) connectes to the "router" and is invisible to the Internet
    Provider.

    As a side note: The "router" is really a NAT-Firewall, a 4-port Network
    Switch,..and a Wireless Access Point all build into the same piece of
    plastic. In many Commercial business networks these are all separate
    physical devices,...but in your case they are all rolled into one device.
    There is nothing wrong with that,..it is just simply good to know that and
    keep it in mind.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Sep 5, 2008

  3. Hi
    System should be connected like this.
    http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    Make sure that you Modem is Not a Modem/Router.
    If it is a combo it need to be configured differently.
    Post again with the specific model number if you are not sure.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 6, 2008