Wireless Performance Paradox on Thinkpad T42p

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Sid Joyner, Sep 6, 2005.

  1. Sid Joyner

    Sid Joyner Guest

    Hi All:

    I would like to run something by the people here. I own a IBM Thinkpad T42p.
    I have installed a wireless router in my parents home for when I visit
    (Netgear WGT624 802.11g). When I use my T42p to go to a back room of the
    house, I get unstable signal strength (anywhere from 7% to 100% - but
    usually somewhere in between). The adapter speed is usually between only 2-6
    Mbps at this location. When I try to access the internet (via browser), I
    get the typical response for no internet access. (When I test for internet
    access with the Acess Connections tool, it likewise says no internet
    access.) OK, so it's out of range - or so I think. What's strange is that I
    can use XP remote desktop to log on easily to my desktop computer directly
    wired to the router with good performance. Then, of course, I can access the
    internet through my remote desktop terminal display on my T42p at this
    remote location.

    Can someone help me with this technically? Why can I access my desktop
    computer on the LAN at this distance (via router) and yet not access the
    internet? It seems that if I can route internally to another computer and
    connect via Remote Desktop terminal services that I should just as well be
    able to connect externally to the Internet. Is there a setting or something
    on the Thinkpad I'm not aware of?

    By the way, as soon as I leave the room and get a bit closer to the router
    so the signal strength and adapter speed jump up a bit, I can access the
    internet. And, of course, the wireless internet performance of the T42p when
    in the same room as the router is excellent.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    PS. I have all the latest wireless drivers from Lenovo.
    Sid Joyner, Sep 6, 2005