    02befree Guest

    Is there a big difference in performance? I need to set up a desktop for
    wireless.

    02befree, Nov 29, 2005

  2. 02befree

    Guest

    On 29-Nov-2005, "02befree" <> wrote:

    > Is there a big difference in performance? I need to set up a desktop for
    > wireless.

    Depends on distance. With USB you can extend the USB cable
    and adapter to where you get the best signal. A PCI card with
    fixed antenna is fine for nearby stations.

    , Nov 29, 2005

  3. 02befree

    Ryan Younger Guest

    I'd go with a USB adapter, it won't be stuck under a desk and can be placed
    accordingly for the best signal, it doesn't require opening your case to
    install and can easily be used with other machines.

    An interesting note: USB wireless adapters actually contain the same
    assembly as PCMCIA cards (and often an actual PCMCIA card inside), with a
    PCMCIA to USB interface, PCI cards also contain the same PCMCIA assembly
    attached to a PCB with a PCI interface.

    --
    All the best,

    Ryan Younger.
    Networking Weblog

    Ryan Younger, Nov 29, 2005
  4. "02befree" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a big difference in performance? I need to set up a desktop for
    > wireless.

    Yep. PCI or PCMCIA cards don't get as good reception, depending upon
    circumstances local to any given machine, than USB wi-fi NICs can. Now I say
    "can" because you can get wi-fi NICs that look like bluetooth adapters (look
    something like a flash drive hanging out of a USB port) and you can get USB
    wi-fi NICs that have a USB cable out to an adapter that can stand up looking
    like it is just an aerial. The aerial looking ones are much better than any
    other because you can place them where you like within the reach of the USB
    cable and quite honestly, I sit one I use on top of a TV in the "computer
    room" and it goes from one end of the house to the other to get the signal
    to/from the router. Never a problem yet any machinery such as washing
    machines, microwaves, handheld landline phone etc may be working and the
    router sits within inches of the base station of a handheld move around
    landline phone. I even turned the router down to 25% output power and still
    no troubles.

    I can also take this NIC out of my desktop and shove it in my laptop and any
    other machine I may bring home and use it, too.

    In short, better distances and more versatile. Gee, even a Mac person I know
    can use my wi-fi NIC in his laptop.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Nov 29, 2005