    by making my network secured and unsecured but the same thing still happens.
    Any suggestions? I have heard there may be a problem with xp that I need to
    download a fix for, but am not sure which one to use.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGI=?=, Apr 19, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?ZGI=?=

    Guest

    On 19-Apr-2007, =?Utf-8?B?ZGI=?= <> wrote:

    > I can see my wireless network on my wireless pc when I "view available
    > networks" but it will not connect. When I hit the "connect" icon it just says
    > waiting to connect to network then eventually stops. I have tried connecting
    > by making my network secured and unsecured but the same thing still happens.
    > Any suggestions? I have heard there may be a problem with xp that I need to
    > download a fix for, but am not sure which one to use.

    If you are in the UK Netstumbler is frequently on various PC magazine
    cover disks, but in any event is a free download. Tells you a lot about
    what's around you and what you are trying to connect to.

    Start -> Run -> then
    ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
    and post results here.

    XP with all the hotfixes and updates shouldn't have any problems.

    Static IP addresses rather than WZC often fixes a lot of
    problems.
    Other thing to check is Hardware under system management
    for the dreaded yellow warning icon that something is wrong,
    but as you can see the network, it's probably ok.
    As administrator you can look at your systems event logs
    for warnings when you try to connect, you can also look at
    Services to see what's running, stopped, disabled, started
    automatically, etc.
    Start troubleshooting in unsecured mode, and when that
    works add security.
    Use an RJ45 hardwied ethernet connection if you can,
    get that working first, then start troubleshooting the
    wireless issues.
    It's also a good idea to have all the addresses in
    the same IP address range, there are two common
    defaults, and they don't mix too well if at all.

    , Apr 19, 2007