    good as broadband.

    Cheers,
    Shona frustrated near Christchurch
    Shona in NZ, Oct 11, 2006

  2. Shona in NZ

    XPD Guest

    http://www.farmside.co.nz/ ?
    XPD, Oct 11, 2006

  3. Shona in NZ

    Vista Guest

    "Shona in NZ" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm new here and don't get on-line much due to, well read on.....
    >
    > I am one of the unfortunates who are unable to get broadband (even though
    > I am encircled by broadband areas, some less than 10km away!). As you
    > know, dial-up sucks and where I am it is pretty unreliable due to electric
    > fence shorts.
    >
    > Can any of you suggest wireless options that won't cost a first born in
    > connection fees and is Mac friendly? Vodaphone's looked appealing being so
    > portable but alas it is not Mac compatible and I suspect the speed isn't
    > as good as broadband.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Shona frustrated near Christchurch

    Why not buy a cheap pc for internet, and network the mac to it.

    Vista, Oct 12, 2006
  4. Shona in NZ

    cyril Guest

    The vodafone vmodem which connect via USB does work with MacOSX
    although at this point only on PowerPC hardware, Intel MacOSX hardware
    drivers is expected soon.

    Vodafones $49/month 1Gig 3G plan is not too bad, if you sign up for
    24months you will get the modem for $99, and if you go over your
    1Gig/month you can top up 1Gig for $10 (but only one topup /month. The
    vmodem can deliver 3.2Mb/s but real 3G/HPDSA performance is in the
    1Mb/s to 1.5Mb/s region, still not a lot different to what may folk get
    on their ADSL service.

    Assuming your Macs are PowerPC ones, then the real issue for you is do
    you have 3G service in your location.At this point 3G coverage is
    largely limited to the city area, so check that out first.

    Here is a link to a review of the vmodem on GeekZone, posting your
    question there may get more positive results.

    Cyril
    cyril, Oct 12, 2006
  5. Shona in NZ

    Vista Guest

    "cyril" <> wrote in message
    > The vodafone vmodem which connect via USB does work with MacOSX
    > although at this point only on PowerPC hardware, Intel MacOSX hardware
    > drivers is expected soon.
    >
    > Vodafones $49/month 1Gig 3G plan is not too bad, if you sign up for
    > 24months you will get the modem for $99, and if you go over your
    > 1Gig/month you can top up 1Gig for $10 (but only one topup /month. The
    > vmodem can deliver 3.2Mb/s but real 3G/HPDSA performance is in the
    > 1Mb/s to 1.5Mb/s region, still not a lot different to what may folk get
    > on their ADSL service.
    >
    > Assuming your Macs are PowerPC ones, then the real issue for you is do
    > you have 3G service in your location.At this point 3G coverage is
    > largely limited to the city area, so check that out first.
    >
    > Here is a link to a review of the vmodem on GeekZone, posting your
    > question there may get more positive results.
    >
    > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=6732
    >
    > Cyril
    >

    >At this point 3G coverage is
    > largely limited to the city area, so check that out first.

    Actually Vodaphone it is dreadfully limited. In fact I am surprised how bad
    it is. It is only available in Wellington, Auckland and Christchurch cities.
    It isn't even available in all suburbs or satellite cities to those cities,
    so it wouldn't be available to anyone in a rural or semi rural location. The
    best you can get is 2G coverage which is about dialup speed.

    Telecoms coverage is far better and it is in a lot of rural areas. There
    coverage maps are at
    http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,8748,204420-1066,00.html?nv=tpd#coverage
    Vista, Oct 12, 2006
  6. Shona in NZ

    XPD Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message

    > Actually Vodaphone it is dreadfully limited. In fact I am surprised how
    > bad it is. It is only available in Wellington, Auckland and Christchurch
    > cities. It isn't even available in all suburbs or satellite cities to
    > those cities, so it wouldn't be available to anyone in a rural or semi
    > rural location. The best you can get is 2G coverage which is about dialup
    > speed.

    Im still waiting for Vodafone to cover Glenfield for just phone
    service....so Id hate to see their Vodem performing here :p
    XPD, Oct 12, 2006
  7. Shona in NZ

    cyril Guest

    There is no doubt the 3G coverage is the clincher, but if the coverage
    was there the vodem is the solution.

    Cyril
    cyril, Oct 12, 2006
  8. Shona in NZ

    Richard Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Vista" <> wrote in message
    >> Actually Vodaphone it is dreadfully limited. In fact I am surprised how
    >> bad it is. It is only available in Wellington, Auckland and Christchurch
    >> cities. It isn't even available in all suburbs or satellite cities to
    >> those cities, so it wouldn't be available to anyone in a rural or semi
    >> rural location. The best you can get is 2G coverage which is about dialup
    >> speed.

    > Im still waiting for Vodafone to cover Glenfield for just phone
    > service....so Id hate to see their Vodem performing here :p

    Works sweet as down here in beach haven 3g and all. Hell, even woosh
    works here. Are you stuck in one of the valleys in glenfield?
    Richard, Oct 12, 2006
  9. Shona in NZ

    Vista Guest

    "cyril" <> wrote in message
    > There is no doubt the 3G coverage is the clincher, but if the coverage
    > was there the vodem is the solution.
    >
    > Cyril

    Due to Vodafone wanting to get the most profit from their investment, they
    may not ever offer vodem coverage throughout rural NZ. Telecoms offerings
    are very similar, with a mobile card, and they do have far better coverage.
    Vista, Oct 12, 2006
  10. T'was the Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:04:42 +1300 when I remembered "Shona in
    NZ" <> saying something
    like this:

    >Can any of you suggest wireless options that won't cost a first born in
    >connection fees and is Mac friendly? Vodaphone's looked appealing being so
    >portable but alas it is not Mac compatible and I suspect the speed isn't as
    >good as broadband.

    Vodems are Mac OS X compatible if you install the drivers off the CD.

    In terms of speed, check
    http://search.vodafone.co.nz/coverage/3g/maps.jsp?image_id=1_1&item=3g
    to see if you have 3G coverage (though it doesn't seem likely from the
    description of your position). If you don't, you'll just be using
    GPRS, which is dialup speed. But it's not affected by the electric
    fence (to my knowledge).
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Oct 12, 2006
  11. Shona in NZ

    cyril Guest

    Just to clarify both my first post and Waylons last post, the Vodem
    will work with MacOSX, but at this point they have only delivered
    drivers for OSX on PowerPC hardware, not OSX on Intel hardware, this
    is expected soon.

    Cyril
    cyril, Oct 12, 2006
  12. Shona in NZ

    cyril Guest

    The farmlands pricing (and others offering either BCL's Extend or
    IPStar) still cost 2-3times what you pay for on urban ADSL, so in my
    view is still to steep for most folk. But hey there seems to be plenty
    of punters to take the services.

    One option you might concider and I have installed for a few clients is
    to see if you can find a friend or relative who maybe line of sight
    from where you are, but up to 4-6km away. Get them to sign up for ADSL
    (assuming they can) and use a wifi backbone (bridge point to point)
    with hi gain antennas to get it to your place. This can be quite
    reliable, and all you need is a couple of good AP's ($200 or so each)
    and a couple of antennas again about $200 or so each. Big issue for
    most is line of sight, no good if you are up a valley way out back, but
    on the Canterbury plains who knows.

    As for access cost, well the TAC of most ISP's say that you cannot
    onsell your service, but to share a service cost with the party with
    the ADSL connection is not reaaallly onselling (is it?).

    Cyril
    cyril, Oct 13, 2006
  13. Shona in NZ

    Richard Guest

    Blue wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 22:17:18 +1300, Vista wrote:
    >
    >> Due to Vodafone wanting to get the most profit from their investment, they
    >> may not ever offer vodem coverage throughout rural NZ. Telecoms offerings
    >> are very similar, with a mobile card, and they do have far better coverage.

    > Gosh, tell us Vista why Telcom has better coverage, for do they not also
    > wish to make the most profit?

    Because vodafones 3g operates on 2100MHz, a band which has hopeless in
    building penetration and propogation, whereas telecom uses the 850MHz
    that the rest of their cell network uses, so there isn't a need for new
    antennas and the related concents, and it has much better coverage.
    Richard, Oct 13, 2006
  14. Shona in NZ

    Blue Guest

    Blue, Oct 13, 2006
  15. Shona in NZ

    Blue Guest

    On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:29:48 +1300, XPD wrote:

    > http://www.farmside.co.nz/

    Now that gave me my education for the day. There are signs that more and
    more folks are gathering on the edge of, or have walked onto the ballpark
    to give Telecom some Internet competition.

    Shit, it has taken so long.
    Blue, Oct 13, 2006
  16. Shona in NZ

    Shona in NZ Guest

    Hi all,

    Thanks for your suggestions.

    I am using a PPC Mac. Alas, I am outside Vodafone's 3G area; I would have to
    take my computer into town to use it. Too bad Lincoln isn't in the 3G area
    either; that at least would be a viable option over going to town. I will,
    however, go in and have a chat with them about alternatives.

    Getting a second pc computer isn't an option, there is no room for it in my
    *very* small house and I don't want to spend all my GBs downloading
    virii/firewall/spyware updates that seem to be so abundant for pc.

    It does look like Telecom would be the cheapest option at $700 <gulp>
    installation and $60/month on their slowest/lowest GB plan but they can't
    guarantee coverage.

    Farmside is quite pricey at $129 +gst/month!

    Another option might be www.scorch.co.nz who have low installation costs but
    add on an additional $15/month antenna rental....Actually they are the best
    value for money. Anybody have experience with them?

    Cheers,
    Shona

    Shona in NZ, Oct 15, 2006
  17. Shona in NZ

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-10-15, Shona in NZ <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestions.
    >
    > I am using a PPC Mac. Alas, I am outside Vodafone's 3G area; I would have to
    > take my computer into town to use it. Too bad Lincoln isn't in the 3G area
    > either; that at least would be a viable option over going to town. I will,
    > however, go in and have a chat with them about alternatives.

    > Getting a second pc computer isn't an option, there is no room for it in my
    > *very* small house and I don't want to spend all my GBs downloading
    > virii/firewall/spyware updates that seem to be so abundant for pc.

    if the internet can be got using linux/freebsd etc the PC could just be a box
    in the corner/attic/shed - it doesn't need a screen etc, depending on the hardware
    involved a linux based router may be up to the task.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Oct 16, 2006
  18. Shona in NZ

    Shona in NZ Guest

    Hi Jasen,

    Shed space I have (although the computer would have to be protected from
    rats, possums, chooks, wetas....) what I don't have is the knowledge about
    Linux/FreeBSD or hardware nor the free time to learn. I'm fairly simple when
    it comes to what makes computers work and while my first computer experience
    was with punch cards (!!!) I seem to have developed a severe command line
    phobia (needed for Linux, no?).

    Thanks for the idea.

    Shona

    Shona in NZ, Oct 16, 2006
  19. In message <eh0kn8$1rg$>, Shona in NZ wrote:

    > ... I seem to have developed a severe command line phobia (needed for
    > Linux, no?).

    Knowing your way around a command line is essential to getting the most out
    of any reasonably powerful computer system. Even OS X on your Mac is not
    immune from this: check any tips-and-techniques site, and sooner or later
    you'll see recipes that involve opening a terminal window and typing
    commands.

    You are right to be reluctant to embrace Windows, for many reasons: while it
    has a very elaborate GUI for doing the common tasks, it has by far the
    worst command-line implementation of any currently-shipping system. So when
    you hit the limits of the GUI and need to resort to typing commands, things
    get very painful indeed.

    Oh, and don't top-post.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 16, 2006
  20. Shona in NZ

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-10-16, Shona in NZ <> wrote:
    > Hi Jasen,
    >
    > Shed space I have (although the computer would have to be protected from
    > rats, possums, chooks, wetas....) what I don't have is the knowledge about
    > Linux/FreeBSD or hardware nor the free time to learn. I'm fairly simple when
    > it comes to what makes computers work and while my first computer experience
    > was with punch cards (!!!) I seem to have developed a severe command line
    > phobia (needed for Linux, no?).

    while tools like "webmin" do allow considerable administration with no
    command-line needed, the setup I described is sufficiently odd-ball that
    some command-line would probably be needed initially atleast.

    keeping chook feathers etc from rouling the air intake could prove
    challenging too.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Oct 17, 2006