Wireless Only Desktop - Network Starts too late and AD Computer Policies Don't Apply

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Kenny, Nov 8, 2005.

  1. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Okay this problem has me pretty mad since I see postings about about it in
    many places on the internet but no actual solutions, specifically from
    Microsoft. Even though this would seem like a common sense requirement but I
    guess Microsoft diasgrees.

    I could really use some help with this I'm holding up an entire project
    right now.

    Anyway to the problem:
    I am supposed to deploy 50 new Dell desktops which will be joined to my 2003
    domain and strictly use wireless.

    When they startup they do not apply computer policies, I see things in the
    event viewer such as cannot obtain domain controller name. The wireless
    doesn't seem to connect quick enough and/or windows is not waiting long
    enough.
    Users CAN login who have never been on the machine before so it seems to be
    able to find the DC's at that point.

    I have played with the local GPO- always wait for network startup, expected
    dial up delay, gp delay, winlogon delay and the DHCP media sense reg hack.
    Using the previously mentioned it did process the computer gpo's once, by
    luck I guess because it never happened again.

    Now my boss seems to think who cares as long as users can login. Now number
    one I care because it makes my job harder and two I told him I wasn't sure
    but if these machines continue to run like this, lets say two months down
    the road aren't you going to have the SC screwed up between the computer
    account and the DC's?

    FYI- These same machines work flawlessly on a wired connection.

    Right now I am using a 3com a/b/g pci card but at this point I'll take what
    I can get.
    My access points are Cisco 1200's, they are broadcasting SSID's and using no
    encryption. The AP's are however bouncing the MAC's of of a RADIUS server.

    Anyway I am just trying to find a real solution whether it be software,
    hardware or both.
    As far as hardware goes I definitly need to support 802.11a at a minimum, I
    would much prefer PCI (low profile PCI), but USB will do if neccessary. I
    would just prefer staying away from USB...had to reconnect USB devices one
    too many times :)

    Kenny, Nov 8, 2005

  2. Kenny

    zuke Guest

    I wish I could help. I am just posting here since I have the same problem,
    but on a smaller scale. I too want to begin deploying wireless laptops, but
    am stumped over my expeiment with just one. I've posted this also under
    Microsoft.public.win2000.security, subject: "Domain unavailable for some
    logons". I'm using WPA/AES. There is a long thread, but no solution. I've
    been all over the map with the tech support from the equipment vendors and
    have updated firmware and drivers. (This particular newsgroup seems devoted
    to home wireless networking and not for business or network admin.)

    I also wish Microsoft would address this. There are not a lot of solutions
    out there.

    Zuke

    zuke, Nov 8, 2005

  3. Kenny

    zuke Guest

    MY Solution

    Hello,

    This may not help, but...

    There is an option in the Atheros wireless chip config utility labled, "Let
    windows manage..."

    Once I checked this, I opened the windows (WinXP SP2) wireless Networks
    config adn checked the box "Use Windows to configure my wireless settings",
    opened the utility, entered my WPA/AES key, and rebooted. Logons work fine
    now.

    Whoot!
    Zuke

    zuke, Nov 8, 2005
  4. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Re: MY Solution

    Yeah I can get user login to work but the computer itself doesn't
    authenticate or process computer policies.

    I don't know if it's real or not but it seems like a potential problem going
    forward as the computer account password would get out of sync with the DC's
    but maybe I'm wrong about that one.

    Kenny, Nov 8, 2005