wireless on the network bridge problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by ivan.delic@gmail.com, Dec 30, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have a problem with wireless over the network bridge. Story goes
    here...
    There are 2 laptops (Win XP pro) I want to connect with LAN patch cable
    in two different rooms... One laptop I need for wireless connection to
    the ADSL router. And of couse, I want to share internet connection to
    other. The other laptop cannot access wireles, because it's to far.
    Also wireless is the only way to connect to ADSL router.
    So, this laptop connects to the wireless fine, everything is working
    ok. But when I create network bridge on that laptop with LAN and
    wireless network included, it goes bad... Everything is connected fine,
    says at network connections, but no internet now. IP adress of an
    bridge is 169.254.x.x. Other computer (network adapter) also has IP
    adress of that type. But it shoul be 192.168.2.x, according to Simens
    SE555 ADSL router. And of course, internet is not founctional on both
    computers... I also tried to manually assing IP of 192.168.2.x type to
    both computers, but no help still. If I use some tool for searching IP
    on the LAN, it sees these two computers, even there should be more
    connected to the ADSL router (I see them when wireless is out from
    bridge).

    Am I missing somethning there? is there something more to configure?
    wireless is unsecured network of open type with disabled
    authentification. LAN between computers also doesn't requires
    authentification... LAN is broadcom netExtreme, and wireless is Intel
    on both.

    So if there is some good soul to help, please, i'm deperate...
    Thanx!

    Ivan
    , Dec 30, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    wrote:
    >I have a problem with wireless over the network bridge. Story goes
    >here...
    >There are 2 laptops (Win XP pro) I want to connect with LAN patch cable
    >in two different rooms... One laptop I need for wireless connection to
    >the ADSL router. And of couse, I want to share internet connection to
    >other. The other laptop cannot access wireles, because it's to far.
    >Also wireless is the only way to connect to ADSL router.
    >So, this laptop connects to the wireless fine, everything is working
    >ok. But when I create network bridge on that laptop with LAN and
    >wireless network included, it goes bad... Everything is connected fine,
    >says at network connections, but no internet now. IP adress of an
    >bridge is 169.254.x.x. Other computer (network adapter) also has IP
    >adress of that type. But it shoul be 192.168.2.x, according to Simens
    >SE555 ADSL router. And of course, internet is not founctional on both
    >computers... I also tried to manually assing IP of 192.168.2.x type to
    >both computers, but no help still. If I use some tool for searching IP
    >on the LAN, it sees these two computers, even there should be more
    >connected to the ADSL router (I see them when wireless is out from
    >bridge).
    >
    >Am I missing somethning there? is there something more to configure?
    >wireless is unsecured network of open type with disabled
    >authentification. LAN between computers also doesn't requires
    >authentification... LAN is broadcom netExtreme, and wireless is Intel
    >on both.
    >
    >So if there is some good soul to help, please, i'm deperate...
    >Thanx!
    >
    >Ivan

    First, right-click and delete the Network Bridge. Then verify that
    the laptop with the wireless network connection can connect to the
    ADSL router and access the Internet.

    After that's working, here are two possible solutions:

    1. Re-create the Network Bridge. If things still don't work, follow
    the steps shown here:

    Bridge May Not Work With a Non-Promiscuous Mode Network Adapter
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302348/en-us

    or:

    2. Forget the Network Bridge, and enable Internet Connection Sharing
    on the wireless network connection. If it asks what to use for the
    home network connection, tell it to use the LAN connection to the
    other computer.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    Steve Winograd [MVP], Dec 30, 2006

  3. David Hettel Guest

    Is this what you want?

    ADSL Wireless Router IP address 192.168.2.xxx

    Wirelessly to

    Laptop 1

    Wired to

    Laptop 2

    If that's what you have I would suggest deleting the bridge. Instead share
    the wireless connection (ICS) on laptop 1 with laptop two. Wireless bridging
    often just doesn't work, do to drivers limiting what is passed to the
    computer.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.