    Thanks in advance
    --
    Janer
    =?Utf-8?B?SmFuZXI=?=, Aug 14, 2006

  2. "Janer" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > According to XP "SETTING UP WIRELESS NETWORK" I have copied my wireless
    > settings by Flash drive - to and from- both my laptop and desktop (DT has
    > the
    > wireless router). I can not see any workgroup to access from my laptop.
    > Nor
    > can I print to the desktop printer from the LT.
    > I have been thru a few help pages here and online and just dont get it.
    > Any
    > help wud be aprreciated.
    > Thanks in advance
    > --
    > Janer

    Start by supplying more information....router type, wireless cards, settings
    you have fiddled with etc
    Southern Kiwi, Aug 15, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SmFuZXI=?=

    Malke Guest

    Janer wrote:

    > According to XP "SETTING UP WIRELESS NETWORK" I have copied my wireless
    > settings by Flash drive - to and from- both my laptop and desktop (DT has
    > the wireless router). I can not see any workgroup to access from my
    > laptop. Nor can I print to the desktop printer from the LT.
    > I have been thru a few help pages here and online and just dont get it.
    > Any help wud be aprreciated.
    > Thanks in advance

    The wireless settings will not create a local area network with sharing. You
    need to set up sharing on your local area network first. Here are some
    general instructions with links to more detail following:

    Run the Network Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable File &
    Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn on
    the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party firewall or
    have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2005/06)
    which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have third-party
    firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area Network traffic as
    trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an IP range. Ex. would be
    subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the Simple
    File Sharing enabled.

    Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means that
    anyone without a user account on the target system can use its resources.
    This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters in your
    situation.

    Then create shares as desired, including printers. XP Home does not permit
    sharing of users' home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you
    can share folders inside those directories. A better choice is to simply
    use the Shared Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network troubleshooter by
    MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it and it will usually
    pinpoint the problem area(s) - http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm (Pro)

    http://www.tomsnetworking.com
    http://www.wown.info/
    http://www.ezlan.net/index.html - Jack, MVP
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/using-network-setup-wizard-in-windows.html

    If you need more help after you've done the setup/research, then refer to
    this link to see what details you need to include in your next post in
    order to get focused troubleshooting:

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    Malke, Aug 15, 2006
  4. Re: Wireless NOT YET?

    Thank you Malke.. I read your suggestions but also read others and then
    contacted Verizon for help. They had info on how to change my router
    settings. So I have given the SSID a name,added 2 LT mac addresses as well as
    the DT for the setting of my Linksys and then enabled the WEP protection.

    I then checked to make sure sharing is enabled and I have done the setup of
    wireless networks again (3X) after many changes. But still nothing----
    the DT shows as a wireless network on my LT and the connection seems to be
    attempted - but never gets thru. IT says its an unsecured network and it
    waits and waits while Windows attempts to connect

    I would appreciate any other help you might want to give.

    The firewall question is not an issue- i dont think-because its Norton on
    the DT and seems to be set to accept anything local? if i am reading its
    stuff correctly

    Thank you in advance..
    I will also review others posts to be sure i havent missed anything. All the
    links you offered- i went to most of them thnks a great deal

    "CIRCLING - WAITING FOR A PLACE TO LAND"
    Janer
    ps. i feel close to connection but no landing yet!

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFuZXI=?=, Aug 17, 2006