Wireless not working after standby

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by jennybertha@gmail.com, Apr 5, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I am having a problem when my computer comes back from stand by or
    hibernate, the wireless Connection is does not work and I have to
    restart the computer in order to get a connection. Basically the the
    icon is enabled, but the IP assigned is 0.0.0.0, I have tried renewing
    the IP, disabling and reenabling the connection but nothing works. No
    IP is being assigned after the computer comes back from standby. I
    have an HP lap top and I ussually close it when I am not working.
    There is an article in the Microsoft KB, suggesting it might be an
    alternate application that searches for the wireless connection, but I
    do not have any other software to my knowledge.

    We have a home network with a Belkin router, but all other computers
    and laptops work properly.

    Any clues as to why this is happening?? All help will be appreciated.

    Jenny
     
    , Apr 5, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Hi
    There are 3 places that have menu Entries for Network Hardware behavior
    concerning saving.
    1. The Network Card Drivers ( http://www.ezlan.net/example/powersave.jpg ).
    3. Manufacturer installed utility (prevalent in most newer Laptop).
    4. The motherboard BIOS.
    Check all 4 and make sure that the Network cards are Not allowed to go to
    Sleep (or to save).
    In many cases nothing would help, and you have to live with it.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am having a problem when my computer comes back from stand by or
    > hibernate, the wireless Connection is does not work and I have to
    > restart the computer in order to get a connection. Basically the the
    > icon is enabled, but the IP assigned is 0.0.0.0, I have tried renewing
    > the IP, disabling and reenabling the connection but nothing works. No
    > IP is being assigned after the computer comes back from standby. I
    > have an HP lap top and I ussually close it when I am not working.
    > There is an article in the Microsoft KB, suggesting it might be an
    > alternate application that searches for the wireless connection, but I
    > do not have any other software to my knowledge.
    >
    > We have a home network with a Belkin router, but all other computers
    > and laptops work properly.
    >
    > Any clues as to why this is happening?? All help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Jenny
    >
     
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 5, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Pavel A. Guest

    Try to get the latest wireless adapter driver update. This often helps.

    Regards,
    --PA

    <> wrote in message news:...
    >I am having a problem when my computer comes back from stand by or
    > hibernate, the wireless Connection is does not work and I have to
    > restart the computer in order to get a connection. Basically the the
    > icon is enabled, but the IP assigned is 0.0.0.0, I have tried renewing
    > the IP, disabling and reenabling the connection but nothing works. No
    > IP is being assigned after the computer comes back from standby. I
    > have an HP lap top and I ussually close it when I am not working.
    > There is an article in the Microsoft KB, suggesting it might be an
    > alternate application that searches for the wireless connection, but I
    > do not have any other software to my knowledge.
    >
    > We have a home network with a Belkin router, but all other computers
    > and laptops work properly.
    >
    > Any clues as to why this is happening?? All help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Jenny
    >
     
    Pavel A., Apr 7, 2007
    #3
  4. Guest

    On 7-Apr-2007, "Pavel A." <> wrote:

    > > We have a home network with a Belkin router, but all other computers
    > > and laptops work properly.
    > >
    > > Any clues as to why this is happening?? All help will be appreciated.


    Static addressing for gateway, DNS server, subnet mask, etc often solves
    this type of problem. Windows Zero Config is about as flakey as Plug
    and Pray, fine when it works, a pain in the butt when it doesn't.
    It's easy to change, and go back to what you had before if it
    doesn't solve the problem.

    My guess is that not only is your IP address 0.0.0.1, but
    the other IP addresses have defaulted to some crap values.

    With static values, these should be retained when you come
    out of standby, the only other issue is that your wireless
    adapter may get turned off during standby, and not wake
    up again.
     
    , Apr 7, 2007
    #4
  5. Pavel A. Guest

    <> wrote in message news:p...
    [snip]
    > My guess is that not only is your IP address 0.0.0.1, but
    > the other IP addresses have defaulted to some crap values.
    >


    The OP wrote that the IP was 0.0.0.0 (not 0.0.0.1 !) - which means the
    IP is not yet been assigned.

    --PA
     
    Pavel A., Apr 7, 2007
    #5
  6. Guest

    On 7-Apr-2007, "Pavel A." <> wrote:

    > The OP wrote that the IP was 0.0.0.0 (not 0.0.0.1 !) - which means the
    > IP is not yet been assigned.


    I'd still try static addressing.
    To lease an IP address he needs to get to his router and
    0.0.0.0 won't be in the default domain ranges, I'd expect
    ipconfig /all to return invalid addresses for his network.
    Of course it could be that his wireless adapter has
    gone to sleep (power save mode) and not woken up again
    on coming out of standby.
    I believe the OP mentioned other machines on the network.
    So if he does ipconfig /all on a working one he can
    transfer the gateway, DNS, and subnet mask to static
    addresses on the disfunctional machine then give it
    a unique address in that domain.
    If that doesn't resolve it then on coming out of
    standby he needs to go to Services and see what
    relevant network services are running or not as
    the case may be.
    Like DHCP can be manual, automatic, or disabled,
    as can be Wireless Zero Config (WZC).
     
    , Apr 7, 2007
    #6
  7. QuasiCodo Guest

    wrote:
    > I am having a problem when my computer comes back from stand by or
    > hibernate, the wireless Connection is does not work and I have to
    > restart the computer in order to get a connection. Basically the the
    > icon is enabled, but the IP assigned is 0.0.0.0, I have tried renewing
    > the IP, disabling and reenabling the connection but nothing works. No
    > IP is being assigned after the computer comes back from standby. I
    > have an HP lap top and I ussually close it when I am not working.
    > There is an article in the Microsoft KB, suggesting it might be an
    > alternate application that searches for the wireless connection, but I
    > do not have any other software to my knowledge.
    >
    > We have a home network with a Belkin router, but all other computers
    > and laptops work properly.
    >
    > Any clues as to why this is happening?? All help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Jenny
    >

    This is a problem with many Wifi adapters and usually comes down to the
    firmware crashing and thus hanging the internal processor on the device
    itself. If it is a USB wifi NIC, simply unplug the device and plug it
    back in. If a PCI/miniPCI NIC, go into DeviceManager (*NOT* Network
    Connections) and "Disable" the device and then "Enable" it again.
    Sometimes that works. It really depends on if the power is truly
    removed from the device on the PCI bus or not when you disable it.

    ((&->
     
    QuasiCodo, Apr 9, 2007
    #7
  8. M G Guest

    change in BIOS settings worked for me

    This problem was bugging for 3-4 months. Changes in power management settings, updating the wireless driver did not help.

    Finally, I read somewhere about a related BIOS setting. I checked my bios and found a setting, which was not very clearly named. I enabled the setting and it worked. Since then my wireless contection works fine even after waking up.

    Hope it works with you.



    QuasiCodo wrote:

    Re: Wireless not working after standby
    09-Apr-07

    wrote:
    This is a problem with many Wifi adapters and usually comes down to the
    firmware crashing and thus hanging the internal processor on the device
    itself. If it is a USB wifi NIC, simply unplug the device and plug it
    back in. If a PCI/miniPCI NIC, go into DeviceManager (*NOT* Network
    Connections) and "Disable" the device and then "Enable" it again.
    Sometimes that works. It really depends on if the power is truly
    removed from the device on the PCI bus or not when you disable it.

    ((&->

    Previous Posts In This Thread:

    On Wednesday, April 04, 2007 8:21 PM
    jennyberth wrote:

    Wireless not working after standby
    I am having a problem when my computer comes back from stand by or
    hibernate, the wireless Connection is does not work and I have to
    restart the computer in order to get a connection. Basically the the
    icon is enabled, but the IP assigned is 0.0.0.0, I have tried renewing
    the IP, disabling and reenabling the connection but nothing works. No
    IP is being assigned after the computer comes back from standby. I
    have an HP lap top and I ussually close it when I am not working.
    There is an article in the Microsoft KB, suggesting it might be an
    alternate application that searches for the wireless connection, but I
    do not have any other software to my knowledge.

    We have a home network with a Belkin router, but all other computers
    and laptops work properly.

    Any clues as to why this is happening?? All help will be appreciated.

    Jenny

    On Wednesday, April 04, 2007 10:16 PM
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\). wrote:

    HiThere are 3 places that have menu Entries for Network Hardware behavior
    Hi
    There are 3 places that have menu Entries for Network Hardware behavior
    concerning saving.
    1. The Network Card Drivers ( http://www.ezlan.net/example/powersave.jpg ).
    3. Manufacturer installed utility (prevalent in most newer Laptop).
    4. The motherboard BIOS.
    Check all 4 and make sure that the Network cards are Not allowed to go to
    Sleep (or to save).
    In many cases nothing would help, and you have to live with it.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    <> wrote in message
    news:...

    On Saturday, April 07, 2007 1:05 PM
    Pavel A. wrote:

    Try to get the latest wireless adapter driver update. This often helps.
    Try to get the latest wireless adapter driver update. This often helps.

    Regards,
    --PA

    On Saturday, April 07, 2007 1:28 PM
    ato_ze wrote:

    Re: Wireless not working after standby
    On 7-Apr-2007, "Pavel A." <> wrote:


    Static addressing for gateway, DNS server, subnet mask, etc often solves
    this type of problem. Windows Zero Config is about as flakey as Plug
    and Pray, fine when it works, a pain in the butt when it doesn't.
    It's easy to change, and go back to what you had before if it
    doesn't solve the problem.

    My guess is that not only is your IP address 0.0.0.1, but
    the other IP addresses have defaulted to some crap values.

    With static values, these should be retained when you come
    out of standby, the only other issue is that your wireless
    adapter may get turned off during standby, and not wake
    up again.

    On Saturday, April 07, 2007 3:54 PM
    Pavel A. wrote:

    Re: Wireless not working after standby
    [snip]

    The OP wrote that the IP was 0.0.0.0 (not 0.0.0.1 !) - which means the
    IP is not yet been assigned.

    --PA

    On Saturday, April 07, 2007 6:11 PM
    ato_ze wrote:

    Re: Wireless not working after standby
    On 7-Apr-2007, "Pavel A." <> wrote:


    I'd still try static addressing.
    To lease an IP address he needs to get to his router and
    0.0.0.0 won't be in the default domain ranges, I'd expect
    ipconfig /all to return invalid addresses for his network.
    Of course it could be that his wireless adapter has
    gone to sleep (power save mode) and not woken up again
    on coming out of standby.
    I believe the OP mentioned other machines on the network.
    So if he does ipconfig /all on a working one he can
    transfer the gateway, DNS, and subnet mask to static
    addresses on the disfunctional machine then give it
    a unique address in that domain.
    If that doesn't resolve it then on coming out of
    standby he needs to go to Services and see what
    relevant network services are running or not as
    the case may be.
    Like DHCP can be manual, automatic, or disabled,
    as can be Wireless Zero Config (WZC).

    On Monday, April 09, 2007 1:58 PM
    QuasiCodo wrote:

    Re: Wireless not working after standby
    wrote:
    This is a problem with many Wifi adapters and usually comes down to the
    firmware crashing and thus hanging the internal processor on the device
    itself. If it is a USB wifi NIC, simply unplug the device and plug it
    back in. If a PCI/miniPCI NIC, go into DeviceManager (*NOT* Network
    Connections) and "Disable" the device and then "Enable" it again.
    Sometimes that works. It really depends on if the power is truly
    removed from the device on the PCI bus or not when you disable it.

    ((&->


    Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
    DataContractSerializer Basics
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...c-94d2f3b1b265/datacontractserializer-ba.aspx
     
    M G, Feb 28, 2010
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?Q00=?=

    Connection not possible after hibernate/standby mode

    =?Utf-8?B?Q00=?=, Aug 9, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    746
    =?Utf-8?B?Q00=?=
    Aug 9, 2005
  2. =?Utf-8?B?RHJhZ29ueA==?=

    wifi not working on new hp, or not working after live update

    =?Utf-8?B?RHJhZ29ueA==?=, Oct 2, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,012
    =?Utf-8?B?RHJhZ29ueA==?=
    Oct 2, 2005
  3. Travis Hauser

    Wireless not working after installing SP2

    Travis Hauser, Apr 25, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,569
    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?=
    Apr 28, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?ZHNi?=

    wireless security not working after swapping faulty router

    =?Utf-8?B?ZHNi?=, Oct 19, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    415
    =?Utf-8?B?ZHNi?=
    Oct 21, 2006
  5. B'razeer Boobar

    Why Isn't "Standby" Working?

    B'razeer Boobar, Feb 19, 2008, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    530
    nobody >
    Feb 19, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page