Wireless nightmare with D-Link 2100AP Wireless access point...

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Kontaminator, Dec 16, 2006.

  1. Kontaminator

    Kontaminator Guest

    I've worked in IT for a number of years, but only recently have been
    configuring wireless networks, whether it's a wireless router, or a
    wireless access point.

    I opt for a D-Link 2100AP. Automatically - i.e. NO security it works
    with my dads Dell laptop, AND my Asus laptop.

    An 'open' access point simply isn't good enough for my security needs.
    I've tried using all sorts of encryption 'mehtods' that both the router
    and the laptops should support!

    I cannot get a connection!!! It's driving me crazy!

    One issue seems to be the Asus, and the Dell both have their own
    'Wireless connection utilities' that function completely differently to
    each other and different to the Windows wireless configuration settings.

    Does anyone know of a good website, or a step by step guide to get my
    wireless access point working with both laptops, and in a secured way? I
    can ill afford someone next door browsing my network and using my
    internet connection!

    I have a broadband modem, going into a router, the wireless access point
    then connects to one of 5 ports in the router.

    Any help would be most appreciated!

    Thank you.
    Kontaminator, Dec 16, 2006

  2. Hi
    Do not generate the security with passphrase, generate in the Router Hex
    String, and copy it to all Wireless Devices security entries.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 16, 2006