Wireless Newbie

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by jaez, Jun 30, 2004.

  1. jaez

    jaez Guest

    Sorry if these issues previously covered

    We have (b/g) access points in each of our 8 work areas. The company next
    door also use a number of points which are close enough for us to register
    with good signal levels

    All our access points have the same SSID
    Some people say that all our points should have the same channel number and
    some say they should be different and at least 2 channels away from each
    other. Now this is not possible with 8 access points and with the folks next
    door using a number of channels as well.

    Any advice please

    Also

    Every time we log on at a laptop the wireless the connections can not be
    made until we go to the system tray, view available network, choose our
    SSID, tick the box and OK

    I can find no way to go straight in to our SSID without having to select it
    from the list

    Any help welcome

    jaez, Jun 30, 2004

  2. jaez wrote:
    [...]
    > All our access points have the same SSID
    > Some people say that all our points should have the same channel number and
    > some say they should be different and at least 2 channels away from each
    > other. Now this is not possible with 8 access points and with the folks next
    > door using a number of channels as well.

    Why is it not possible? Do all your access points cover the whole
    building? If there is an area where all 8 have their signal that's truly
    bad. You should consider that a wireless connection waits until it
    cannot "hear" another connection. So if you have 8 access points on the
    same channel in the same area you have only 1/8 of the possible
    bandwidth. If they are on different channels you have the full bandwidth
    of all of them.

    I donot know whether the disturbance of channels that are not far away
    from each other is so big. I would consider it is better to use
    neighboring channels than using the same one. As long as two access
    points can hear each other, they should not use the same channel!

    [...]
    > Every time we log on at a laptop the wireless the connections can not be
    > made until we go to the system tray, view available network, choose our
    > SSID, tick the box and OK
    >
    > I can find no way to go straight in to our SSID without having to select it
    > from the list

    You should add it to the prefered networks in this dialog, then it
    should automatically connect to the first SSID it finds. Is your network
    unprotected? Then you should enable security, because as far as I know
    unsecured networks are not connected automatically (and that's good!).

    Sebastian

    Sebastian Hoehn, Jul 1, 2004

  3. jaez

    Cat Guest

    SSID should be the same across the Network changing SSID will not do any
    thing for you to begin with.

    Under normal circumstances every Wireless within the range will register
    when client card scan the Air regardless of the SSID.

    However the mere appearances of another Wireless Networks do not mean that
    actual packets of information are exchanged.

    If your WPA (WEP) is ON and or MAC filtering is used there will be No
    exchange of info.

    If you want your client to pick only your system you can check the preferred
    Network Setting and insert your SSID (preferred Network is under the
    Wireless Network tab in WinXP, and or might be in your client cards
    drivers).

    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.htm

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Cat, Jul 7, 2004