    detect my wireless or any of my neighbors..

    I did not change any settings on my router and I dont remember changing
    anything on my laptop. Any ideas?

    wmureports, Jul 14, 2006

  2. wmureports

    Malke Guest

    wmureports wrote:

    > Ok so I am at home on my laptop sitting right next to my router and It
    > cannot find my wireless network. My wireless network has been working
    > for about 2 months now and then all of a sudden today my laptop cannot
    > detect my wireless or any of my neighbors..
    >
    > I did not change any settings on my router and I dont remember changing
    > anything on my laptop. Any ideas?

    Is the wireless on? Many laptops have a little button or switch that turns
    the wireless on/off. Others use a key press combination (FN + some key).
    Examine your laptop to make sure you haven't inadvertently turned the
    wireless off.

    If the wireless is really supposed to be on and it isn't working, then there
    may be a problem with the hardware. Since you didn't mention what hardware
    you have, you'll need to troubleshoot it yourself or provide more
    information.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Jul 14, 2006

  3. wmureports

    Guest

    On 14-Jul-2006, Malke <> wrote:

    > If the wireless is really supposed to be on and it isn't working, then there
    > may be a problem with the hardware. Since you didn't mention what hardware
    > you have, you'll need to troubleshoot it yourself or provide more
    > information.

    Most wireless adapters have a utility that shows signal strength,
    signal quality, pkts in, pkts out and often other useful stuff.
    You may have to turn off Zero Config before you see it.
    In Admin mode WinXP has a lot of diagnostic information,
    hardware status (the dreaded exclamation mark), as well as
    various logs, including error logs.
    Firewalls can also go pear shaped and start blocking when they
    shouldn't. Most retail firewalls have logs.

    >you didn't mention what hardware you have,

    Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt
    type the command ipconfig /all followed by Enter and report result here.

    , Jul 14, 2006
  4. I have the same problem with a Inspiron 600 m. I got the Wireless Networks
    tab to show up with the Wireless Zero Configuration but the system still
    tells me I need to turnthe wireless switch on. Checked the dell manual for a
    keyboard "switch" and found nothing. Dell won't help since it is not a
    hardware issue. Sure would appreciate some help on fixing this. I had
    turned the wireless off when we used the laptop for navigating the boat and
    now I can't seem to get it wireless again to download updates to the
    navagation program.
    --
    Alice

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxpY2U=?=, Jul 15, 2006
  5. wmureports

    Lem Guest

    Alice wrote:
    > I have the same problem with a Inspiron 600 m. I got the Wireless Networks
    > tab to show up with the Wireless Zero Configuration but the system still
    > tells me I need to turnthe wireless switch on. Checked the dell manual for a
    > keyboard "switch" and found nothing. Dell won't help since it is not a
    > hardware issue. Sure would appreciate some help on fixing this. I had
    > turned the wireless off when we used the laptop for navigating the boat and
    > now I can't seem to get it wireless again to download updates to the
    > navagation program.

    If wireless is builtin to your Inspiron, turning it on/off most
    certainly IS a hardware issue. If it's not a physical switch, and it's
    not a combination of keys, then open device manager, select the wireless
    network adapter, right click and choose properties. There ought to be
    something there that will turn it on an off.

    Also note that Dell has a "network disabled" power management mode which
    you may have turned on while on your boat. See your Dell "Tell Me How"
    or other help files to change this setting.

    "HINT: The Network Disabled power scheme disables your internal network
    and wireless activity. However, you must set the power scheme through
    QuickSet (not Microsoft® Windows®) for Network Disabled to work."

    Lem, Jul 15, 2006