    assuming we might need new antennas and the transceiver units (which at
    the moment fit into what looks like a super sized square telephone outlet) ?

    The system was installed by Woosh Wireless.

    SchoolTech, Feb 13, 2005

  2. SchoolTech wrote:
    > Using 802.11g
    > (a) what is the fastest speed available in NZ? Some manufacturers sell
    > 108Mbps gear, or is 54Mbps the fastest speed generally available?

    54Mbit is the spec rating, some companies use multiple chanels, or
    multiplexing or something to get double... usually you are then locked
    into using their gear only, so not ideal.

    > (b) what sort of price could we be looking at to get 54Mbps or 108Mbps
    > assuming we might need new antennas and the transceiver units (which at
    > the moment fit into what looks like a super sized square telephone
    > outlet) ?

    if it is only over a road(less than 50m), normal 802.11g APs should be
    fine, so ~$400 for hardware. Lynksis make some nice ones(wrt54g).

    > The system was installed by Woosh Wireless.

    for 802.11b??? odd.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 13, 2005

  3. SchoolTech

    SchoolTech Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > SchoolTech wrote:
    >
    >> Using 802.11g
    >> (a) what is the fastest speed available in NZ? Some manufacturers sell
    >> 108Mbps gear, or is 54Mbps the fastest speed generally available?

    > 54Mbit is the spec rating, some companies use multiple chanels, or
    > multiplexing or something to get double... usually you are then locked
    > into using their gear only, so not ideal.

    OK, that must be what the D-Link gear does.

    SchoolTech, Feb 14, 2005
  4. SchoolTech

    BB Guest

    >> Using 802.11g
    >> (a) what is the fastest speed available in NZ? Some manufacturers sell
    >> 108Mbps gear, or is 54Mbps the fastest speed generally available?

    > 54Mbit is the spec rating, some companies use multiple chanels, or
    > multiplexing or something to get double... usually you are then locked
    > into using their gear only, so not ideal.
    >
    >> (b) what sort of price could we be looking at to get 54Mbps or 108Mbps
    >> assuming we might need new antennas and the transceiver units (which at
    >> the moment fit into what looks like a super sized square telephone
    >> outlet) ?

    I've just gone BELKIN and I love it. I've thrown out a Linksys WAG54G.

    Now I have a modem + router to a AP + switch (and a 11g USB in there too
    somewhere). All five cost me about $500 and they work great. Highly
    recommended from my camp.

    Why did I go Belkin? I knew what I wanted to do, and Belkin were the only
    company to publish a template similar using it's gear. Netgear, DLink and
    the rest would have been guess work to get all the right components.

    Rgds

    BB
    NZ

    BB, Feb 17, 2005
  5. SchoolTech

    John B Guest

    "BB" <> wrote in message news:42147f0a$...
    > >> Using 802.11g
    > >> (a) what is the fastest speed available in NZ? Some manufacturers sell
    > >> 108Mbps gear, or is 54Mbps the fastest speed generally available?

    > > 54Mbit is the spec rating, some companies use multiple chanels, or
    > > multiplexing or something to get double... usually you are then locked
    > > into using their gear only, so not ideal.
    > >
    > >> (b) what sort of price could we be looking at to get 54Mbps or 108Mbps
    > >> assuming we might need new antennas and the transceiver units (which at
    > >> the moment fit into what looks like a super sized square telephone
    > >> outlet) ?

    > I've just gone BELKIN and I love it. I've thrown out a Linksys WAG54G.
    >
    > Now I have a modem + router to a AP + switch (and a 11g USB in there too
    > somewhere). All five cost me about $500 and they work great. Highly
    > recommended from my camp.
    >
    > Why did I go Belkin? I knew what I wanted to do, and Belkin were the only
    > company to publish a template similar using it's gear. Netgear, DLink and
    > the rest would have been guess work to get all the right components.

    Nothing wrong with US Robotics either. Works great.

    John B, Feb 18, 2005