    get their jobs as sales people I don't know.)
    TIA
    J.J.

    =?Utf-8?B?Si5KLg==?=, Jan 12, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Si5KLg==?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    You can try Ad-Hoc connection as described on this page:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.
    mspx?pf=trueHi

    For the long run you should do yourself a big favor and get an External
    Ethernet DSL Modem. The USB Modems will limit your options for future
    expansion.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "J.J." <> wrote in message
    > My apologies if this is directed to the wrong forum:
    >
    > Hi, we have a desktop and a laptop, both have WinXP OS . The desktop
    > connects to the 'net' via an ADSL broadband modem (USB), through a

    telephone
    > line(not cable) at 576.00Kbps. Though I'm thinking of upgrading to 1G. The
    > laptop has a wireless (802.11g) card.
    > Can anybody advise us which hardware we need to go wireless? We don't

    mind
    > the desktop being wired but would like to 'roam' with the laptop. We've
    > looked at countless routers, gateways etc. and wandered about PC World

    asking

    Jack, Jan 12, 2005

  3. "Jack" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > You can try Ad-Hoc connection as described on this page:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.
    > mspx?pf=trueHi
    >
    > For the long run you should do yourself a big favor and get an External
    > Ethernet DSL Modem. The USB Modems will limit your options for future
    > expansion.
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "J.J." <> wrote in message
    > > My apologies if this is directed to the wrong forum:
    > >
    > > Hi, we have a desktop and a laptop, both have WinXP OS . The desktop
    > > connects to the 'net' via an ADSL broadband modem (USB), through a

    > telephone
    > > line(not cable) at 576.00Kbps. Though I'm thinking of upgrading to 1G. The
    > > laptop has a wireless (802.11g) card.
    > > Can anybody advise us which hardware we need to go wireless? We don't

    > mind
    > > the desktop being wired but would like to 'roam' with the laptop. We've
    > > looked at countless routers, gateways etc. and wandered about PC World

    > asking
    > > questions with not much in the way of a helpful answer :-(how these people
    > > get their jobs as sales people I don't know.)
    > > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    > > TIA
    > > J.J.

    Thanks for the reply Jack but thats our problem. We don't know what to look
    for. It's alright you saying
    " get an External Ethernet DSL Modem." Is that the same as an ADSL Modem,
    can I run the laptop 'Wireless' from that?
    I've been looking at an Wireless ADSL Modem Router + 4 Ports10/100 MBPS
    Switch or is that going over the top? Or maybe a Wireless Gateway Router with
    Built in Modem?(Belkin). We're looking to you, the experts for a bit of
    advice please.
    TIA
    J.J.
    Liverpool(RED)
    UK

    =?Utf-8?B?Si5KLg==?=, Jan 12, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Si5KLg==?=

    peter Guest

    I would buy a seperate DSL modem checking with my ISP provider to see what will
    work with their system.
    Then I would and I did buy a NetGear 108 Mbps Wireless Firewall Router model
    WGT624 v2 with a WG511T Wireless PC Card for the laptop.
    This unit was so easy to set up and configure that even I (who had never set up
    a wired one never mind wireless) could do it.
    here is a website
    http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGT624.php

    opions will vary.......but this thing worked right out of the box and then by
    following the clearly written manual I added security and was surfing and
    networking my 3 computer,one a laptop within 2 hours.
    here is a website that will explain in detail how to set up a network
    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/index.asp

    peter

    peter, Jan 13, 2005