  1. Computer #1 DESKTOP DELL DIMENSIONS. motorola sbg900.
    windows xp home. cable internet access connected.
    (computer #1 is connected and works great)

    Computer #2 DESKTOP HP PAVILION. Belkins g plus wireless
    adapter. windows 98 SE. picking up an "excellent" signal from the
    motorola sbg900 on Computer #1. (computer #2 is connected but cannot browse
    the internet)

    When I double click the Internet Explorer button on the desktop of Computer
    #2 the only page that will open is one that says "The web page is not
    available etc." and "Cannot find server or dns error" Can anyone tell me
    what i need to do to get Computer #2 to browse the internet?

    Here is the winipcfg dialog for Computer #2
    Host Name Joe blow
    DNS Servers
    Node Type Boadcast
    netbios scope id
    ip routing enabled WINS proxy enabled
    NetBIOS resolution Uses DNS
    PPP adapter
    adapter address 44.43.49.444.00
    IP address 0.0.0.0
    subnet mask 0.0.0.0
    default gateway
    dhcp server 255.255.255.255
    Primary wins server
    secondary wins server
    lease obtained
    lease expires
    -------------------------------
    Most of the lines are blank.

    Cany anyone help me here? This is driving me crazy because it seems so
    simple but alas I cannot figure it out.
    Thanks for any help.

    --
    jennifer

    =?Utf-8?B?amVubmlmZXI=?=, Jan 22, 2006

  2. This appears to be the winipcfg output for a modem (PPP) adapter. Try
    running winipcfg again and change the focus to the Belkin adapter. Also, if
    you have Internet Connection Sharing enabled on a dialup connection, disable
    ICS.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Jan 22, 2006

  3. Winipcfg doesn't show the Belkins adapter. How do I change the focus to
    the Belkins adapter? Can you tell me how to get the winipc to show the
    Belkins adapter configurations?
    Also, I am not sure if i have Internet connection sharing enabled or not.
    I will find out and disable it. Thanks a lot for the reply. You helped me
    more already than 50 hours of (fruitless) internet searching.
    --
    jennifer

    =?Utf-8?B?amVubmlmZXI=?=, Jan 23, 2006
  4. Don't have any Win9x machines handy, but if I remember correctly: When
    winipcfg opens there should be a small window/line that says PPP (this is
    the default - I think). There a small triangle at the right end of the PPP
    entry - if you click on it, you should be able to select a different
    adapter.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Jan 23, 2006
  5. Hi again and thanks for your help. Yes, there is a triangle as you said but
    when i click on it the only available choices are "Microsoft TV/Video
    Connection" and then "PPP adapter". I wonder why the Belkins isn't listed.
    Any ideas?
    Well thank uuuu for the help. :)

    I know computers all right but I can't seem to grasp how to network yet.
    My skill level on computers on a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being the expert) is
    about a 7.
    --
    jennifer

    =?Utf-8?B?amVubmlmZXI=?=, Jan 24, 2006
  6. Hmmm - Right click Network Neighborhood and select Properties. Do you have
    a Local Area Connection for the Belkin?

    I think ipconfig from XP will work on Win9x, so try this;

    1. On the XP machine use Windows Explorer and go to C:\WINDOWS\System32.
    Copy ipconfig.exe to a floppy.

    2. On the Win98 machine copy ipconfig.exe from the floppy to C:\WINDOWS.

    3. On the Win98 machine open a command prompt and: ipconfig /all ENTER.

    4. If this works, is there info for the Belkin connection? If so, run:
    ipconfig /all > c:\config.txt ENTER.
    Use Notepad to open c:\config.txt; copy the text; and paste it into a reply
    to this post.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Jan 24, 2006
  7. Okay. A right click on the Network Neighborhood (on the 98).

    "The following network components are installed":
    The Belkin 802.11g Network Adapter and the
    TCP/IP -> Belkin 802.11g Network Adapter are listed.
    Does this mean that I have a Local Area Connection for the Belkin? I am not
    sure.

    Here is the text from the Ipconfig.txt file on the 98SE computer.

    Windows 98 IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . : joe blow
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
    NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

    0 Ethernet adapter :

    Description . . . . . . . . : Microsoft TV/Video Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 2.0.0.1
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . :
    Primary WINS Server . . . . :
    Secondary WINS Server . . . :
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

    1 Ethernet adapter :

    Description . . . . . . . . : PPP Adapter.
    Physical Address. . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-00-00
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Primary WINS Server . . . . :
    Secondary WINS Server . . . :
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

    This is so different because the computers are side by side right now and my
    mouses are getting tangled and stuff. I think i will have to get some rest
    now or I am going to make it more confusing.
    I appreciate your help and you have already taught me a couple of things.
    Good night and Thank you again.
    --
    jennifer

    =?Utf-8?B?amVubmlmZXI=?=, Jan 24, 2006
  8. OK, I don't know whether "PPP adapter" is the Belkin or not; so lets try
    something else:

    1. On the XP machine, run ipconfig /all. Write down the IP address, subnet
    mask, Default gateway, and DNS server IP for the adapter connected to the
    Motorola device.

    2. On the Win98 machine, click on TCP/IP -> Belkin 802.11g Network Adapter
    and select Properties. Select to specify an IP address - use the IP for the
    XP machine + 1. Eg. If XP is 192.168.100.2, make Win98 192.168.100.3. Use
    the same subnet mask. Click the DNS tab and enter the same IP as XP
    machine's DNS entry. Click the Gateway tab and again enter the same IP as
    the XP's default gateway. Reboot; make the wireless connection; run
    ipconfig /all and see if the settings are correct; open IE.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Jan 26, 2006