    internet on the laptop through the main one it does not
    connect. Also i can not see the shared files from either
    system. Can any one help
    Dean, Jan 4, 2005

  2. Dean

    Tony Guest

    "Dean" <> wrote in message
    news:04d301c4f278$b8fea530$...
    > Hi i am having some trouble networking my laptop to my main
    > system. I have installed the software to my laptop and
    > they find each other. But when i try to connect to the
    > internet on the laptop through the main one it does not
    > connect. Also i can not see the shared files from either
    > system. Can any one help

    How are you connecting to the network? Through a router, switch, hub, cable
    wireless, wireless access point, ad hoc set up?
    Tony, Jan 4, 2005

  3. Dean

    Guest Guest

    Hi i have a wireless laptop adapter, i think i am set up on
    ad hoc. i connect to the internet by usb broadband modem.

    Guest, Jan 4, 2005
  4. Dean

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a
    outer -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.
    mspx?pf=trueHi
    Howvevr I might add that you would have a more flexible stable Network if
    the whole thing is around a Wireless cable/DSL Router. 802.11b Wireless
    Router can be found on sales for less than $20.

    Your problem is the USB Modem (USB modem do not work with regular cable/DSL
    Routers).

    If you plan in the near future to enlarge your network you would need to
    invest in an External Ethernet Modem, and if your Broadband is DSL I would
    do it even for single computer.

    DSL-PPPOE http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jan 5, 2005
  5. Dean

    Dean Guest

    hi thanks for the advice could i use a ADSL MODEM WITH
    WIRELESS G ROUTER will this get round the problem.

    Dean

    Dean, Jan 6, 2005
  6. if you are using a USB modem you will have to use a proxy program loaded on
    the computer connected to the mmodem in order to share your internet
    connection. I once had the same setup and used wingate as my proxy and it
    worked fine.

    I suggest getting a modem with an ethernet connection though, it would make
    your life alot easier.

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 12, 2005
  7. Hi all! Apologies for hijacking this thread but I desperately need some help
    please. My problem is that I set up a wireless internet connection, which
    works just fine, and set up a network using the 'network setup wizard' as
    opposed to the 'wireless network setup wizard' because the wireless setup
    wizard will not run, it gives an error 'your network card does not support
    wpa etc....' I know for a fact all the wireless hardware supports wpa. I use
    wep and firewalls.
    I am networking for file and printer sharing a PC (host) and a
    laptop. As said before I have to use 'network setup wizard' to do this but if
    i shut down my laptop I lose the network connection only, to files and
    printers etc on my pc. I then have to reinstall network then all fine again.
    My wireless network has to be setup using it's own configuration software
    without any problems.
    Wireless hardware is as follows: Netgear wgt624v2 (router) wg311t
    (pci) and wg511t (pc card). As mentioned my prob is the loss of network
    whenever I shut down laptop.Please help. Thank you all in advance

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lja0Vk?=, Jan 13, 2005