    computer would this work following Bowmans walkthroug linked to above? Or am
    i getting the wrong end of the stick? Any help or product advice would me
    much appreciated. Thanks Tom
    =?Utf-8?B?VG9tbXk=?=, Apr 26, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VG9tbXk=?=

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi

    Yeah any Wireless Card (PCI PCMCIA or USB) would work.

    However if you have Broadband connection with External Ethernet Modem you are much
    better of using a Wireless cable DSL Router.

    For Ad-Hoc connection you need two Wireless cards. With a Wireless Router you would need
    only one card. The price of an Inexpensive Wireless Router is almost the same as a Card,
    so money wise it is either the same or a little bit more to go with a Wireless Router.

    This is even more critical if you have a DSL Connection, see here:
    http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html

    Using Wireless Router for Broadband connection provide much safer system with more
    stable Internet and Wireless connection.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Tommy" <> wrote in message
    > I am tring to network together my desktop pc with broadband internet access
    > and my laptop. Neither my desktop or laptop have wireless cards as of yet. I
    > have read the article on here by Barb Bowman at
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx

    regarding setting up an ad-hoc network without a wireless router.

    Jack \(MVP\), Apr 26, 2005