Wireless Networking / Sharing / Web Access Trouble

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?SmFubm90aA==?=, Jul 14, 2005.

  1. I have a very confusing problem with a wireless network. Here's a snapshot
    of my wireless network :

    1. it's Ad-Hoc - between a main PC (connected by broadband to internet) & a
    laptop
    2. both are running XP Pro SP2
    3. signal strength shown as EXCELLENT on both computers
    4. sharing is enabled on both computers
    5. I can ping both ways - very fast times
    6. main PC is set to 192.168.0.1 and laptop to 192.16.0.2 - subnet mask 255
    etc
    7. they're both on the same workgroup
    8. main PC CAN read and access the laptop files but laptop CANNOT read or
    access main pc or connect to internet / Messenger. I get an error about
    permissions!
    9. both have firewalls and it makes no difference when both firewalls are
    temporarily disabled.

    Until a recent hard disk drive failure on the main PC, the setup worked fine
    whereby both could be connected to internet, see each other's files and share
    resources (eg printer) - all over a wireless network.

    I don't know what's going on anymore. PLEASE can someone help me as I'm now
    losing the will to live!!!

    Thanks

    Jan
    =?Utf-8?B?SmFubm90aA==?=, Jul 14, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SmFubm90aA==?=

    Clark Guest

    Well, I will bring some things up just for fun ;)).

    Use Help andSupport and search for Ad Hoc. There is some info there.

    Since you can ping but not access, it seems an permission of some type is
    missing. Are you a user on both computers, and are they in the same
    workgroup? Is your SSID the same? Using the same channel, although it says
    the originating computer controls the channel. Any wireless security being
    used, and if so make sure the settings are the same. You might even try
    turning it off to test.

    It says, although it may be outdated, that ad hoc is only supported using
    802.11b.

    Are you using the Windows configuration utility or the adapter one?

    You might try re-enabling sharing. If you had to get a new hard drive, the
    old connections might not work. And of course, you do have file and printer
    sharing enabled?

    Clark

    Clark, Jul 15, 2005