    we set his laptop up on the router, can I prevent him from having any access
    to my computers, and simply allow him internet access? Is this possible?

    Brian
    Brian, Nov 9, 2003

  2. Brian

    -Lone_Wolf- Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > I bought a dell notebook! I am having a wireless router come on
    > tuesday. i plan to network my laptop to the desktop to allow me to
    > use my laptop and gain access to my desktop stuff.
    >
    > That's all fine and dandy for the two pc network, and its to allow me
    > to take my laptop all around and be online w/o wires.
    >
    > My problem is this. I'm in a dorm and a suitemate has a notebook and
    > I said he could use the wireless router so he can have the mobility
    > around here as well. Now. Can I network just my pc and laptop for my
    > use? By this I mean if we set his laptop up on the router, can I
    > prevent him from having any access to my computers, and simply allow
    > him internet access? Is this possible?

    Run a software firewall on both of your PC's and only allow IP of the
    opposite PC thru! Also make sure you enable WEP and utilize MAC filtering if
    it exists in the router!

    www.sygate.com has a free (for personal use) firewall available and under
    Advanced has it the capabilities you require.
    -Lone_Wolf-, Nov 10, 2003

  3. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Thanks for the reply! SInce all computers will be running off the router,
    they'll all be on the same ip? There must be a simple way to network my
    laptop and desktop, while still allowing the suitemate to use the router but
    not have access to my two pc network? Perhaps it will become apparant while
    setting up the network?

    It's an SMC Barricade router, a great 802.11g router. My main goal is the
    security, ofcourse. I can specify just the three MAC's and no other pc's in
    the building will be able to get on the router unless specified, right? But
    back to my networking, having two pc's on therouter fully networked, while
    having the third on the router have no access to the two networked ones.

    Brian, Nov 10, 2003
  4. Brian

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Read the manual when you get your router. You can do all that with only the
    router, there is no need for a software firewall but it won't hurt. If your
    OS is windows 2000 or XP he will not have access anyway unless he knows your
    password.

    pcbutts1, Nov 10, 2003
  5. Brian

    -Lone_Wolf- Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply! SInce all computers will be running off the
    > router, they'll all be on the same ip?

    They will share the same WAN IP...

    > There must be a simple way to
    > network my laptop and desktop, while still allowing the suitemate to
    > use the router but not have access to my two pc network?

    As mentioned you can leave it up to Windows passwords, but I prefer the
    added control and security of a software firewall.

    Perhaps it
    > will become apparant while setting up the network?
    >
    > It's an SMC Barricade router, a great 802.11g router. My main goal is
    > the security, ofcourse. I can specify just the three MAC's and no
    > other pc's in the building will be able to get on the router unless
    > specified, right?

    The MAC address is sent un-encrypted, so spoofing is possible. As a matter
    of fact a WEP is not 100% fool proof. It should be enough to secure a home
    LAN.
    -Lone_Wolf-, Nov 10, 2003
  6. Brian wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply! SInce all computers will be running off the router,
    > they'll all be on the same ip? There must be a simple way to network my
    > laptop and desktop, while still allowing the suitemate to use the router but
    > not have access to my two pc network? Perhaps it will become apparant while
    > setting up the network?

    Yes - the IP's he was refering to are the *internal* IP's - the
    computers connected to the router (the router gets your external IP from
    your service provider). You'll have the option of using DHCP or static
    IP's for the internal computers. I suggest Static for the following
    explained reason (Thanks to -lone_wolf- for the idea.. its a simple
    enough method!).

    Simply set the firewall on the Desktop and your Laptop to specifically
    allow access from each other's IP's. On the router, tell it to
    specifically allow access (through the router) to the MAC Addresses of
    your three computers. Once that's set, only those three computers can
    become "internal" to your router; plus any other "internal" computer (on
    your side of the router) will be effectively locked out.

    Be carefull, though.... Not all firewalls are created equal. Connect the
    laptop then desktop direct to your dorm's network and check out
    SheildsUP! at www.grc.com . You'll see how good your firewall is. Once
    that's all tuned up, you're ready to rock-n-roll!

    > It's an SMC Barricade router, a great 802.11g router. My main goal is the
    > security, ofcourse. I can specify just the three MAC's and no other pc's in
    > the building will be able to get on the router unless specified, right? But
    > back to my networking, having two pc's on therouter fully networked, while
    > having the third on the router have no access to the two networked ones.

    Yup! Just like that.

    Good Luck - I'm pulling for you!

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Nov 10, 2003
  7. Brian

    -Lone_Wolf- Guest

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ wrote:
    > Brian wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the reply! SInce all computers will be running off the
    > > router, they'll all be on the same ip? There must be a simple way
    > > to network my laptop and desktop, while still allowing the
    > > suitemate to use the router but not have access to my two pc
    > > network? Perhaps it will become apparant while setting up the
    > > network?

    > Yes - the IP's he was refering to are the *internal* IP's - the
    > computers connected to the router (the router gets your external IP
    > from your service provider). You'll have the option of using DHCP or
    > static IP's for the internal computers. I suggest Static for the
    > following explained reason (Thanks to -lone_wolf- for the idea.. its
    > a simple enough method!).

    Actually the Sygate firewall will also allow you to filter using MAC
    addresses (which I do). My kids can not access my computer but I have full
    access between my PC and Laptop and also one way onto both of the kids PC's.

    > Simply set the firewall on the Desktop and your Laptop to specifically
    > allow access from each other's IP's. On the router, tell it to
    > specifically allow access (through the router) to the MAC Addresses of
    > your three computers. Once that's set, only those three computers can
    > become "internal" to your router; plus any other "internal" computer
    > (on your side of the router) will be effectively locked out.
    >
    > Be carefull, though.... Not all firewalls are created equal. Connect
    > the laptop then desktop direct to your dorm's network and check out
    > SheildsUP! at www.grc.com . You'll see how good your firewall is. Once
    > that's all tuned up, you're ready to rock-n-roll!

    Sygate has a built in link whereby you can test your firewall.

    > > It's an SMC Barricade router, a great 802.11g router. My main goal
    > > is the security, ofcourse. I can specify just the three MAC's and
    > > no other pc's in the building will be able to get on the router
    > > unless specified, right? But back to my networking, having two pc's
    > > on therouter fully networked, while having the third on the router
    > > have no access to the two networked ones.

    Like I mentioned before - it will keep Honest Joe out, but will only
    slightly challenge someone hell bent on getting in.

    John
    -Lone_Wolf-, Nov 10, 2003
  8. Brian

    Kris OKelly Guest

    To: BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ <>
    Re: Re: wireless networking question!
    By: BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ <> to 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Mon Nov 10 2003 11:05 am

    correct,

    I operate a laptop and a desktop running my BBS's server they have 2 private
    IP addresses that are only in my netword and not in the internet, but after
    the router it only shows it as one ip as if one computer was on the internet
    connection (the router). You can think of it like Microsoft internet
    connection sharing software that comes with windows.. the only difference is
    the router is not a computer with windows installed on it..

    Kris
    > From Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >
    > Brian wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the reply! SInce all computers will be running off the router,
    > > they'll all be on the same ip? There must be a simple way to network my
    > > laptop and desktop, while still allowing the suitemate to use the router b
    > > not have access to my two pc network? Perhaps it will become apparant whil
    > > setting up the network?

    > Yes - the IP's he was refering to are the *internal* IP's - the
    > computers connected to the router (the router gets your external IP from
    > your service provider). You'll have the option of using DHCP or static
    > IP's for the internal computers. I suggest Static for the following
    > explained reason (Thanks to -lone_wolf- for the idea.. its a simple
    > enough method!).
    >
    > Simply set the firewall on the Desktop and your Laptop to specifically
    > allow access from each other's IP's. On the router, tell it to
    > specifically allow access (through the router) to the MAC Addresses of
    > your three computers. Once that's set, only those three computers can
    > become "internal" to your router; plus any other "internal" computer (on
    > your side of the router) will be effectively locked out.
    >
    > Be carefull, though.... Not all firewalls are created equal. Connect the
    > laptop then desktop direct to your dorm's network and check out
    > SheildsUP! at www.grc.com . You'll see how good your firewall is. Once
    > that's all tuned up, you're ready to rock-n-roll!
    >

    > > It's an SMC Barricade router, a great 802.11g router. My main goal is the
    > > security, ofcourse. I can specify just the three MAC's and no other pc's i
    > > the building will be able to get on the router unless specified, right? Bu
    > > back to my networking, having two pc's on therouter fully networked, while
    > > having the third on the router have no access to the two networked ones.

    > Yup! Just like that.
    >
    > Good Luck - I'm pulling for you!

    > BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    > (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    >
    > --- Synchronet 3.10L-Win32 NewsLink 1.65

    Kris O'Kelly - Administrator
    Simsbury Online BBS
    Internet:
    Fidonet: Kris O'Kelly@1:261/1396
    Simsbury.cjb.net (BBS Telnet Access)
    http://simsbury.cjb.net (Webpage)

    --- Synchronet 3.10L-Win32 NewsLink 1.65
    * Simsbury Online - Charleston, WV - telnet://simsbury.synchro.net
    Kris OKelly, Nov 10, 2003