Wireless Networking Problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?S2luZ0h1c3NpZW4=?=, Jan 7, 2006.

  1. I just bought a Linksys Wireless Router with Wireless Notebook adapter. I set
    it all up and everything, thinking this would be a cake walk, but soon
    realize that that isn't the case.

    This is how my network is setup:

    Desktop Computer:
    -Wired to router
    -Runs WinXP Home SP2

    Laptop Computer:
    -Wireless to router
    -Runs WinXP Home SP2

    DSL Modem
    -Wired to router

    Both computers connect to the router and the internet fine.

    Now the problem I'm having is that I can't access my desktops shared files
    from my laptop, but I can the other way around. This is the exact error I
    get:

    Quote:
    \\Desktop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    network resource. Contact the admin to see if you have access permissions.

    Logon Failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
    this computer.

    I read somewhere that Home doesn't allow users to modify permissions or turn
    off Simple File Sharing, but found out that there was a way: Boot into
    safemode with networking. There I enabled all groups to have full control.
    Also I created a server\\guest user and gave that account full control. Well
    it didn't work, but now on my desktop computer I see a shared folder that is
    definitely on neither of my comps. I'm pretty sure I'm accessing another
    persons wireless network.

    I would love to be able to access my laptop from my desktop and vice versa,
    but so far its seeming to be impossible.

    Any help to my dilemma is much appreciated.

    Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?S2luZ0h1c3NpZW4=?=, Jan 7, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?S2luZ0h1c3NpZW4=?=

    J Guest

    This is SIMILAR to the problem I had with file sharing between
    2 desktops connected to a linksys router, and a laptop that is
    connected wireless to an actiontec dsl/modem router

    I put a link in my online notes about what I was told to do
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

    Click the Wireless Networking link

    J, Jan 7, 2006