    Thunderbird while the other machine is connected to the net, the
    notebook always tries to dial up.
    Any ideas?
    Charles Foot, May 3, 2007

  2. Charles Foot

    Fred Guest

    "Charles Foot" <> wrote in message
    news:1178154017.940888@ftpsrv1...
    > Hi people,
    > I have an Acer notebook with WiFi built in. Took it away with me on
    > holiday on the mainland recently and hooked into Telecom broadband
    > hotspots every day to do my daily work.
    > Back home now, and it is now refusing to access the internet via the
    > gateway machine which has a D-Link access point attached to it.
    > Nothing has been changed on the gateway machine, and the notebook still
    > talks to the other machine.
    > The only change was that the day I got back, there was an update from
    > MSoft (came via dial-up on the notebook).
    > I've tried rolling back to a date prior to going away, with no joy. And,
    > I've tried everything else I can think of to no avail. Still the notebook
    > immediately connects to the wireless network on startup, and can access
    > files on the gateway machine, but if I start Firefox or Thunderbird while
    > the other machine is connected to the net, the notebook always tries to
    > dial up.
    > Any ideas?

    Control panel/network accounts. Right click on broadband and set as default,
    or better still delete dial up account.
    Fred, May 3, 2007

  3. Charles Foot

    Charles Foot Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > "Charles Foot" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi people,
    >> I have an Acer notebook with WiFi built in. Took it away with me on
    >> holiday on the mainland recently and hooked into Telecom broadband
    >> hotspots every day to do my daily work.
    >> Back home now, and it is now refusing to access the internet via the
    >> gateway machine which has a D-Link access point attached to it.
    >> Nothing has been changed on the gateway machine, and the notebook still
    >> talks to the other machine.
    >> The only change was that the day I got back, there was an update from
    >> MSoft (came via dial-up on the notebook).
    >> I've tried rolling back to a date prior to going away, with no joy. And,
    >> I've tried everything else I can think of to no avail. Still the notebook
    >> immediately connects to the wireless network on startup, and can access
    >> files on the gateway machine, but if I start Firefox or Thunderbird while
    >> the other machine is connected to the net, the notebook always tries to
    >> dial up.
    >> Any ideas?

    > Control panel/network accounts. Right click on broadband and set as default,
    > or better still delete dial up account.

    Sorry, not an option..... no broadband here on Great Barrier Island.
    I just need to be able to access the internet via the other machine when
    it is online and dial up when it's not.
    Charles Foot, May 3, 2007
  4. Charles Foot

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Charles Foot <> wrote in news:1178186521.965082@ftpsrv1:

    > Sorry, not an option..... no broadband here on Great Barrier Island.
    > I just need to be able to access the internet via the other machine when
    > it is online and dial up when it's not.

    NetsetMan
    Are you tired of changing your network configuration every day on your
    notebook or computer?
    The same procedure every day?

    On the go: changing...
    At home: changing...
    In the office: changing...

    Then NetSetMan is your solution. It will do the work for you.
    http://www.netsetman.com/
    Noncommercial freeware

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 3, 2007
  5. Charles Foot

    Charles Foot Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > Charles Foot <> wrote in news:1178186521.965082@ftpsrv1:
    >
    >> Sorry, not an option..... no broadband here on Great Barrier Island.
    >> I just need to be able to access the internet via the other machine when
    >> it is online and dial up when it's not.
    >>

    > NetsetMan
    > Are you tired of changing your network configuration every day on your
    > notebook or computer?
    > The same procedure every day?
    >
    > On the go: changing...
    > At home: changing...
    > In the office: changing...
    >
    > Then NetSetMan is your solution. It will do the work for you.
    > http://www.netsetman.com/
    > Noncommercial freeware

    Ta for the suggestion Dave, but my problem is simply that since
    returning from holiday, the home network no longer works as it did.
    To recap; it is a simple infrastructure network.... Win XP Home on the
    main PC and on the notebook. D-Link wireless access point connected to
    the main PC. Main PC set up with file and printer sharing, and with
    Internet Connection Sharing enabled.
    If the main PC is on when the notebook boots up, the notebook
    immediately connects to the wireless network, and I can access files and
    folders on the main PC.
    If the main PC is connected to the internet, the notebook *should* also
    be connected to the internet. I *should* be able to start an email
    client and receive email via the wireless network. Same with a browser.
    This was all working fine, and had been for several months, prior to
    going away for a couple of weeks.
    However, if I now start Thunderbird, Firefox, or IE the notebook tries
    to dial up.

    In other words, Internet Connection Sharing is no longer working.

    I've gone through all the steps to disable it and re-enable it on the
    main PC, I've reset the access point back to it's factory defaults, I've
    deleted and set up a new wireless network connection on the notebook,
    I've restored the notebook back to a date prior to going away. All to no
    avail.

    Is there a registry setting on the notebook that may be incorrect?

    I logged on to numerous wireless networks throughout the country in my
    travels and had no problems.
    Charles Foot, May 4, 2007
  6. Charles Foot

    SteveM Guest

    Charles Foot <> wrote in

    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    >> Charles Foot <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Sorry, not an option..... no broadband here on Great Barrier Island.
    >>> I just need to be able to access the internet via the other machine
    >>> when it is online and dial up when it's not.
    >>>

    >> NetsetMan
    >> Are you tired of changing your network configuration every day on
    >> your notebook or computer?
    >> The same procedure every day?
    >>
    >> On the go: changing...
    >> At home: changing...
    >> In the office: changing...
    >>
    >> Then NetSetMan is your solution. It will do the work for you.
    >> http://www.netsetman.com/
    >> Noncommercial freeware
    >>

    > Ta for the suggestion Dave, but my problem is simply that since
    > returning from holiday, the home network no longer works as it did.
    > To recap; it is a simple infrastructure network.... Win XP Home on the
    > main PC and on the notebook. D-Link wireless access point connected to
    > the main PC. Main PC set up with file and printer sharing, and with
    > Internet Connection Sharing enabled.
    > If the main PC is on when the notebook boots up, the notebook
    > immediately connects to the wireless network, and I can access files
    > and folders on the main PC.
    > If the main PC is connected to the internet, the notebook *should*
    > also be connected to the internet. I *should* be able to start an
    > email client and receive email via the wireless network. Same with a
    > browser. This was all working fine, and had been for several months,
    > prior to going away for a couple of weeks.
    > However, if I now start Thunderbird, Firefox, or IE the notebook tries
    > to dial up.
    >
    > In other words, Internet Connection Sharing is no longer working.
    >
    > I've gone through all the steps to disable it and re-enable it on the
    > main PC, I've reset the access point back to it's factory defaults,
    > I've deleted and set up a new wireless network connection on the
    > notebook, I've restored the notebook back to a date prior to going
    > away. All to no avail.
    >
    > Is there a registry setting on the notebook that may be incorrect?
    >
    > I logged on to numerous wireless networks throughout the country in my
    > travels and had no problems.

    DHCP turned off on the wireless access point?

    SteveM
    SteveM, May 4, 2007
  7. Charles Foot

    impossible Guest

    "Charles Foot" <> wrote in message
    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    >> Charles Foot <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Sorry, not an option..... no broadband here on Great Barrier
    >>> Island.
    >>> I just need to be able to access the internet via the other
    >>> machine when it is online and dial up when it's not.
    >>>

    >> NetsetMan
    >> Are you tired of changing your network configuration every day on
    >> your notebook or computer?
    >> The same procedure every day?
    >>
    >> On the go: changing...
    >> At home: changing...
    >> In the office: changing...
    >>
    >> Then NetSetMan is your solution. It will do the work for you.
    >> http://www.netsetman.com/
    >> Noncommercial freeware
    >>

    > Ta for the suggestion Dave, but my problem is simply that since
    > returning from holiday, the home network no longer works as it did.
    > To recap; it is a simple infrastructure network.... Win XP Home on
    > the main PC and on the notebook. D-Link wireless access point
    > connected to the main PC. Main PC set up with file and printer
    > sharing, and with Internet Connection Sharing enabled.
    > If the main PC is on when the notebook boots up, the notebook
    > immediately connects to the wireless network, and I can access files
    > and folders on the main PC.
    > If the main PC is connected to the internet, the notebook *should*
    > also be connected to the internet. I *should* be able to start an
    > email client and receive email via the wireless network. Same with a
    > browser.
    > This was all working fine, and had been for several months, prior to
    > going away for a couple of weeks.
    > However, if I now start Thunderbird, Firefox, or IE the notebook
    > tries to dial up.
    >
    > In other words, Internet Connection Sharing is no longer working.
    >
    > I've gone through all the steps to disable it and re-enable it on
    > the main PC, I've reset the access point back to it's factory
    > defaults, I've deleted and set up a new wireless network connection
    > on the notebook, I've restored the notebook back to a date prior to
    > going away. All to no avail.
    >
    > Is there a registry setting on the notebook that may be incorrect?
    >
    > I logged on to numerous wireless networks throughout the country in
    > my travels and had no problems.

    I'm a little confused. If your home network includes a router and a
    stand-alone wireless access point, then it's -- as you say -- an
    infrastructure network. But with this setup you don't need internet
    connection sharing, because each machine connects independently. If,
    on the other hand, all you have is a wireless access point attached to
    your desktop, and you're trying to access the internet on your
    notebook via that, then you need to configure this as an ad hoc
    wireless network, which of course does require internet connection
    sharing -- but also a different setup both for your notebook wireless
    card and for Windows Wireless Network Properties. It sounds as if the
    ad hoc network setup is what you actually had working before your
    trip, but since you now refer to this as an "infrastructure network",
    I suspect that when you first had trouble connecting again back home
    (maybe only because your "preferred" network connection had changed in
    the meantime) you fiddled with a few things you shouldn't have.

    At this point, with so many changes having been made to your network
    configuration, it's probably going to be impossible for you to trace
    out exactly what you did wrong. So just start over again from scratch.
    Maybe this link will help:

    impossible, May 4, 2007
  8. Charles Foot

    sam Guest

    impossible wrote:
> [...]

    > notebook via that, then you need to configure this as an ad hoc
    > wireless network, which of course does require internet connection
    > sharing -- but also a different setup both for your notebook wireless
    > card and for Windows Wireless Network Properties. It sounds as if the
    > ad hoc network setup is what you actually had working before your
    > trip, but since you now refer to this as an "infrastructure network",
    > I suspect that when you first had trouble connecting again back home
    > (maybe only because your "preferred" network connection had changed in
    > the meantime) you fiddled with a few things you shouldn't have.
    >
    > At this point, with so many changes having been made to your network
    > configuration, it's probably going to be impossible for you to trace
    > out exactly what you did wrong. So just start over again from scratch.

    Try "Repair Connection"
    sam, May 4, 2007
  9. Charles Foot

    Warwick Guest

    On Thu, 03 May 2007 13:05:22 +1200, Charles Foot wrote:

    > Hi people,
    > I have an Acer notebook with WiFi built in. Took it away with me on
    > holiday on the mainland recently and hooked into Telecom broadband
    > hotspots every day to do my daily work.
    > Back home now, and it is now refusing to access the internet via the
    > gateway machine which has a D-Link access point attached to it.
    > Nothing has been changed on the gateway machine, and the notebook still
    > talks to the other machine.
    > The only change was that the day I got back, there was an update from
    > MSoft (came via dial-up on the notebook).
    > I've tried rolling back to a date prior to going away, with no joy. And,
    > I've tried everything else I can think of to no avail. Still the
    > notebook immediately connects to the wireless network on startup, and
    > can access files on the gateway machine, but if I start Firefox or
    > Thunderbird while the other machine is connected to the net, the
    > notebook always tries to dial up.
    > Any ideas?

    Just been thru a very similair problem, connected to wifi
    but not internet, cannot ping DLink gateway.
    Rebooted the DLink modem, could ping DLink gateway, but
    still no DNS service.
    Changed the DNS server setting in TCP/IP properties to
    xtra's own DNS server. (202.27.158.40).

    All good, but slightly weird.
    --

    cheers
    Warwick, May 5, 2007
  10. Charles Foot

    Charles Foot Guest

    Warwick wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 May 2007 13:05:22 +1200, Charles Foot wrote:
    >
    >> Hi people,
    >> I have an Acer notebook with WiFi built in. Took it away with me on
    >> holiday on the mainland recently and hooked into Telecom broadband
    >> hotspots every day to do my daily work.
    >> Back home now, and it is now refusing to access the internet via the
    >> gateway machine which has a D-Link access point attached to it.
    >> Nothing has been changed on the gateway machine, and the notebook still
    >> talks to the other machine.
    >> The only change was that the day I got back, there was an update from
    >> MSoft (came via dial-up on the notebook).
    >> I've tried rolling back to a date prior to going away, with no joy. And,
    >> I've tried everything else I can think of to no avail. Still the
    >> notebook immediately connects to the wireless network on startup, and
    >> can access files on the gateway machine, but if I start Firefox or
    >> Thunderbird while the other machine is connected to the net, the
    >> notebook always tries to dial up.
    >> Any ideas?

    > Just been thru a very similair problem, connected to wifi
    > but not internet, cannot ping DLink gateway.
    > Rebooted the DLink modem, could ping DLink gateway, but
    > still no DNS service.
    > Changed the DNS server setting in TCP/IP properties to
    > xtra's own DNS server. (202.27.158.40).
    >
    > All good, but slightly weird.

    Hmmmm; interesting. I'm with Slingshot. I'll give that a try and see
    what happens.
    It's really strange that everything was working flawlessly at home prior
    to going away. I didn't need to change any settings on the notebook....
    just drove within range of any Telecom Mobile Broadband Hotspot and it
    would connect. Obviously nothing changed at home as there was nobody
    there, but upon returning it no longer works...
    Charles Foot, May 5, 2007
  11. Charles Foot

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 06 May 2007 07:59:16 +1200, Charles Foot <> wrote:

    >Warwick wrote:
    >> On Thu, 03 May 2007 13:05:22 +1200, Charles Foot wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi people,
    >>> I have an Acer notebook with WiFi built in. Took it away with me on
    >>> holiday on the mainland recently and hooked into Telecom broadband
    >>> hotspots every day to do my daily work.
    >>> Back home now, and it is now refusing to access the internet via the
    >>> gateway machine which has a D-Link access point attached to it.
    >>> Nothing has been changed on the gateway machine, and the notebook still
    >>> talks to the other machine.
    >>> The only change was that the day I got back, there was an update from
    >>> MSoft (came via dial-up on the notebook).
    >>> I've tried rolling back to a date prior to going away, with no joy. And,
    >>> I've tried everything else I can think of to no avail. Still the
    >>> notebook immediately connects to the wireless network on startup, and
    >>> can access files on the gateway machine, but if I start Firefox or
    >>> Thunderbird while the other machine is connected to the net, the
    >>> notebook always tries to dial up.
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> Just been thru a very similair problem, connected to wifi
    >> but not internet, cannot ping DLink gateway.
    >> Rebooted the DLink modem, could ping DLink gateway, but
    >> still no DNS service.
    >> Changed the DNS server setting in TCP/IP properties to
    >> xtra's own DNS server. (202.27.158.40).
    >>
    >> All good, but slightly weird.

    >Hmmmm; interesting. I'm with Slingshot. I'll give that a try and see
    >what happens.
    >It's really strange that everything was working flawlessly at home prior
    >to going away. I didn't need to change any settings on the notebook....
    >just drove within range of any Telecom Mobile Broadband Hotspot and it
    >would connect. Obviously nothing changed at home as there was nobody
    >there, but upon returning it no longer works...

    Not sure if this will help, but worth a shot

    Are you getting the tcp/ip settings automatically from your other machine, or
    are they fixed. If they're fixed, is the default gateway set correctly to the
    other machine's IP? Is the other machine's IP still the same?
    In your network settings, go into the properties for the network connection
    you're using to the other machine. Select TCP/IP click properties
    It's either set to auto, or you need the correct default gateway in there.
    Craig Shore, May 11, 2007