    device to the other two. I've tried running the wireless zero program (or
    somethign to that effect) and still I'm not able to see any wireless networks
    available. Anyways, if someone can help me that would be fantastic.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGFobGlh?=, Mar 3, 2007

  2. Hi
    1394 isFFirewire connection (ignore it).
    The unplugged connection is probably your wired network connection that
    currently is Not plugged because you are trying to use the Wireless (So
    ignore it too).
    As far as the Wireless goes, may be this can Help.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 3, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?ZGFobGlh?=

    Jim Guest

    "dahlia" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all. I don't know much about computers so I'm a little lost when it
    > comes
    > to wireless stuff. Anyways, I've just bought a new Netgear DG834G and to
    > my
    > understanding is a wireless, adsl firewall router. So to my understanding
    > I'm
    > should be able to use it to connect to the internet with my pc and then
    > connect through a network with my laptop and be able to share files and
    > also
    > the printer-wireless from my laptop. It seems pc is working fine but
    > laptop
    > shows three LAN connections. Local Area connection 2 says its unplugged,
    > 1394
    > Connection (connects with Net Adapter) connected, and the Wireless Network
    > Connection says its not connected and again that seems to be on a
    > different
    > device to the other two. I've tried running the wireless zero program (or
    > somethign to that effect) and still I'm not able to see any wireless
    > networks
    > available. Anyways, if someone can help me that would be fantastic.

    Jack has already given good information.

    The steps are these:

    1. You setup the wireless router. These days, the manufacturer ships them
    with a setup CD which gets the router going.

    2. After you have setup the router, you configure the laptop for a wireless
    network.

    2a. Execute the Network Setup Wizard on your desktop and instruct it to
    make a setup disk. There is no need to make any changes to the desktop.

    2b. Insert the setup disk into your laptop. If you have autorun enabled,
    the program will start and make setip the first part of the laptop
    installation. Doing it this way insures that the settings on the laptop are
    consistent with those on the desktop.

    2c. Use Windows Zero Configuration to setup the wireless adapter.

    It doesn't take long, especially after you have done it a few times. The
    principal difficulty is getting the wireless encryption keys to match. It
    took me three shots even when I was looking at the key. You get the key
    from the router.

    Jim

    Jim, Mar 3, 2007
  4. Thank you both Jack and Jim for the answers. They've helped and now I'm able
    to connect to the internet from both computers (desktop and laptop) but
    cannot access either computers from each to share files and printer. Not only
    that but because I don't know much about these things I got a little panicky
    when I saw that I could see the next door neighbours wireless connection on
    my wireless connection. I knew it was his because it had his name on it. And
    two others but that was about it. Which made me think about my modem. Whether
    someone was able to pick up mine and how I can secure my connection so that
    only my laptop and desktop can use my modem and network. Can anyone help me
    again on these please?

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGFobGlh?=, Mar 4, 2007
  5. Hi

    Why do I see Wireless connections that are not mine in my Wireless Network
    display?
    Answer here, http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#signal
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    MAC
    WEP
    WPA-PSK
    WPA-AES
    WPA2
    Computers Card) should state the type of security that is available with
    your Wireless hardware.

    phrase.

    of one of the Wireless devices.

    device with a better one.
    WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 4, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?ZGFobGlh?=

    Jim Guest

    "dahlia" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    >> wireless
    >> network.
    >>
    >> 2a. Execute the Network Setup Wizard on your desktop and instruct it to
    >> make a setup disk. There is no need to make any changes to the desktop.
    >>
    >> 2b. Insert the setup disk into your laptop. If you have autorun
    >> enabled,
    >> the program will start and make setip the first part of the laptop
    >> installation. Doing it this way insures that the settings on the laptop
    >> are
    >> consistent with those on the desktop.
    >>
    >> 2c. Use Windows Zero Configuration to setup the wireless adapter.
    >>
    >> It doesn't take long, especially after you have done it a few times. The
    >> principal difficulty is getting the wireless encryption keys to match.
    >> It
    >> took me three shots even when I was looking at the key. You get the key

    Not being able to share files and folders is usually the result of
    improperly configured firewalls. If you are using the Windows firewall,
    then you must set it to allow files and printer sharing. If you are using
    ZA, you must do the same although its settings are a bit difficult to find.

    The first test to determine if you can ping from one computer to the other.

    You can get good instructions on how to setup file and printer sharing from
    PChuck's web site. He usually hangs out in
    microsoft.public.windows.windowsxp.network_web. If you post your problem to
    that newsgroup, you will get plenty of help.

    Jim

    Jim, Mar 4, 2007