wireless networking and x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?TWV0ZmFuYW50?=, Aug 10, 2005.

  1. I recently just built a new computer...and purchased Windows Xp Professional
    x64 to run as my OS....well i now have a $150 coaster on my desk because the
    OS is useless to me because I am un able to find a wireless adapter with 64
    bit drivers that is a/b/g compatible....my school runs on an "a" network so
    im stuck with that....i REFUSE to give microshaft another hundred somethign
    dollars to buy a copy of Windows XP Pro 32bit.....is this how they want to
    stop the software pirates??....by releasing OS's with no support?.....i have
    $1200 worth of hardware that is useless to me right now....
    =?Utf-8?B?TWV0ZmFuYW50?=, Aug 10, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWV0ZmFuYW50?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Lots of people here have wireless networks, and most g systems are backward
    compatible. You may have to use your Ethernet adapter on the motherboard
    since USB isn't well supported on x64 yet, so I suggest you provide details
    of what you have as far as Ethernet on your motherboard and I am sure there
    will be a solution so your coaster will be useful. You may have other
    problems, but this should be solvable.


    "Metfanant" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I recently just built a new computer...and purchased Windows Xp
    >Professional
    > x64 to run as my OS....well i now have a $150 coaster on my desk because
    > the
    > OS is useless to me because I am un able to find a wireless adapter with
    > 64
    > bit drivers that is a/b/g compatible....my school runs on an "a" network
    > so
    > im stuck with that....i REFUSE to give microshaft another hundred
    > somethign
    > dollars to buy a copy of Windows XP Pro 32bit.....is this how they want to
    > stop the software pirates??....by releasing OS's with no support?.....i
    > have
    > $1200 worth of hardware that is useless to me right now....
    John Barnes, Aug 10, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. From DKI:
    Best bet is to look for a braodcom based wireless card. The OS has drivers
    for broadcom based cards included and work fine.

    From Chris:
    The Belkin F5D7001 802.11g wireless network card is working fine in my
    system. The card was recognized by X64 and shows up in device manager
    as a Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter. If I recall, I picked the card up
    at my local CompUSA.

    also From BK:
    It seems Realtek has finally released wireless drivers:

    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...id=2002111&famid=All&series=All&Software=True

    Download links:

    ftp://210.51.181.211/cn/wlan/rtl8180l/64-8180(174)(0523).zip

    ftp://202.65.194.18/cn/wlan/rtl8180l/64-8180(174)(0523).zip

    ftp://152.104.238.194/cn/wlan/rtl8180l/64-8180(174)(0523).zip
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    "Metfanant" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I recently just built a new computer...and purchased Windows Xp
    >Professional
    > x64 to run as my OS....well i now have a $150 coaster on my desk because
    > the
    > OS is useless to me because I am un able to find a wireless adapter with
    > 64
    > bit drivers that is a/b/g compatible....my school runs on an "a" network
    > so
    > im stuck with that....i REFUSE to give microshaft another hundred
    > somethign
    > dollars to buy a copy of Windows XP Pro 32bit.....is this how they want to
    > stop the software pirates??....by releasing OS's with no support?.....i
    > have
    > $1200 worth of hardware that is useless to me right now....
    Andre Da Costa, Aug 10, 2005
    #3
  4. Hmmm. I'm not certain if any of the chipsets are 802.11a compatible, though I
    _thought_ the broadcom one was for sure. But if worst comes to worst, you do
    have workarounds available -- including using an a/b/g router/access point as
    a bridge.

    Note, however, that it is ultimately the responsibility of the _builder_ of
    the computer to determine if the selected OS meets their needs. Did you look
    first to find out what drivers were available? Once you'd built the machine,
    and didn't have it immediately work, did you ASK if there were drivers that
    might help? Before you came into a newsgroup where you'd never been before
    and started flaming?


    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/


    Metfanant wrote:
    > I recently just built a new computer...and purchased Windows Xp
    > Professional x64 to run as my OS....well i now have a $150 coaster on
    > my desk because the OS is useless to me because I am un able to find
    > a wireless adapter with 64 bit drivers that is a/b/g compatible....my
    > school runs on an "a" network so im stuck with that....i REFUSE to
    > give microshaft another hundred somethign dollars to buy a copy of
    > Windows XP Pro 32bit.....is this how they want to stop the software
    > pirates??....by releasing OS's with no support?.....i have $1200
    > worth of hardware that is useless to me right now....
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 11, 2005
    #4
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TWV0ZmFuYW50?=

    DKI Guest

    To Keep in mind that this is A NEW 64BIT PLATFORM and not an existing 32bit
    platform. The manufuctures of the hardware are the ones customers have to
    bug about the drivers and not microsoft since they don't write them.

    They can try there best but we need to show demand for it and put presure on
    them as well to release a driver.

    Broadcom based wireless cards are the best ones to get at the minuite since
    the drivers are included with Windows XP X64 Edition and work fine with no
    problems.

    As Andre Pointed out realtek have also released some wireless drivers for
    cards that contain a realtek wireless chip as well so its worth looking at
    cards based on realtek chips as well.
    >

    "Metfanant" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I recently just built a new computer...and purchased Windows Xp
    >Professional
    > x64 to run as my OS....well i now have a $150 coaster on my desk because
    > the
    > OS is useless to me because I am un able to find a wireless adapter with
    > 64
    > bit drivers that is a/b/g compatible....my school runs on an "a" network
    > so
    > im stuck with that....i REFUSE to give microshaft another hundred
    > somethign
    > dollars to buy a copy of Windows XP Pro 32bit.....is this how they want to
    > stop the software pirates??....by releasing OS's with no support?.....i
    > have
    > $1200 worth of hardware that is useless to me right now....
    DKI, Aug 11, 2005
    #5
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TWV0ZmFuYW50?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Wireless support is included for certain Broadcom based 802.11g cards.
    But not all. For example. there is no inbox support for the Broadcom
    b/;g card inthe Ferrari 4000. Acer did post those drivers. (Acer had
    an a/b/g Ferrari 4000 listed but so far I have not seen it for sale.
    It probably uses the Atheros a/b/g mini pci that everyone else uses
    and Atheros has not come forward for support at all for 64 bit Windows
    operating systems). I know at least one vendor trying to get reference
    drivers from them and not being successful.

    If you need wireless connectivity, the only thing you can do in some
    cases if you need 802.11a is get a DGL-3420 gaming adapter and connect
    it to your Ethernet port. These gaming adapters don't care about the
    OS. This particular gaming adapter does a/g AND does WPA.

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:01:11 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >Hmmm. I'm not certain if any of the chipsets are 802.11a compatible, though I
    >_thought_ the broadcom one was for sure. But if worst comes to worst, you do
    >have workarounds available -- including using an a/b/g router/access point as
    >a bridge.
    >
    >Note, however, that it is ultimately the responsibility of the _builder_ of
    >the computer to determine if the selected OS meets their needs. Did you look
    >first to find out what drivers were available? Once you'd built the machine,
    >and didn't have it immediately work, did you ASK if there were drivers that
    >might help? Before you came into a newsgroup where you'd never been before
    >and started flaming?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone Columnist
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspx
    http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/
    Barb Bowman, Aug 11, 2005
    #6
  7. Oh, very good Barb. I didn't know that the DGL-3420 was an OS independent,
    standalone unit, but that's perfect. I can actually think of several places
    where a unit like that would be good. Now, if we could just get Atheros to do
    their job. Sigh. :(

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/


    Barb Bowman wrote:
    > Wireless support is included for certain Broadcom based 802.11g cards.
    > But not all. For example. there is no inbox support for the Broadcom
    > b/;g card inthe Ferrari 4000. Acer did post those drivers. (Acer had
    > an a/b/g Ferrari 4000 listed but so far I have not seen it for sale.
    > It probably uses the Atheros a/b/g mini pci that everyone else uses
    > and Atheros has not come forward for support at all for 64 bit Windows
    > operating systems). I know at least one vendor trying to get reference
    > drivers from them and not being successful.
    >
    > If you need wireless connectivity, the only thing you can do in some
    > cases if you need 802.11a is get a DGL-3420 gaming adapter and connect
    > it to your Ethernet port. These gaming adapters don't care about the
    > OS. This particular gaming adapter does a/g AND does WPA.
    >
    > On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:01:11 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hmmm. I'm not certain if any of the chipsets are 802.11a compatible,
    >> though I _thought_ the broadcom one was for sure. But if worst comes
    >> to worst, you do have workarounds available -- including using an
    >> a/b/g router/access point as a bridge.
    >>
    >> Note, however, that it is ultimately the responsibility of the
    >> _builder_ of the computer to determine if the selected OS meets
    >> their needs. Did you look first to find out what drivers were
    >> available? Once you'd built the machine, and didn't have it
    >> immediately work, did you ASK if there were drivers that might help?
    >> Before you came into a newsgroup where you'd never been before and
    >> started flaming?
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 11, 2005
    #7
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TWV0ZmFuYW50?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    config is via a web interface.. very easy.
    i've been making some noise on the Atheros issue.

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 06:12:27 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >Oh, very good Barb. I didn't know that the DGL-3420 was an OS independent,
    >standalone unit, but that's perfect. I can actually think of several places
    >where a unit like that would be good. Now, if we could just get Atheros to do
    >their job. Sigh. :(

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone Columnist
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspx
    http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/
    Barb Bowman, Aug 11, 2005
    #8
  9. Yup. My TiVo is about to get 802.11a/g. :)

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/


    Barb Bowman wrote:
    > config is via a web interface.. very easy.
    > i've been making some noise on the Atheros issue.
    >
    > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 06:12:27 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Oh, very good Barb. I didn't know that the DGL-3420 was an OS
    >> independent, standalone unit, but that's perfect. I can actually
    >> think of several places where a unit like that would be good. Now,
    >> if we could just get Atheros to do their job. Sigh. :(
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 11, 2005
    #9
  10. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Metfanant wrote:
    > I recently just built a new computer...and purchased Windows Xp Professional
    > x64 to run as my OS....well i now have a $150 coaster on my desk because the
    > OS is useless to me because I am un able to find a wireless adapter with 64
    > bit drivers that is a/b/g compatible....my school runs on an "a" network so
    > im stuck with that....i REFUSE to give microshaft another hundred somethign
    > dollars to buy a copy of Windows XP Pro 32bit.....is this how they want to
    > stop the software pirates??....by releasing OS's with no support?.....i have
    > $1200 worth of hardware that is useless to me right now....


    I have had exceptional success with both Belkin and Linksys cards using
    Ralink Drivers. You can pick up a decent card these days at your local
    computer store for about $20.00 USD.

    Cheers,

    - --
    Steve Thompson
    Key ID: 0x495F423B http://pgpkeys.telering.at
    CBEC CFA9 94DB B835 5B86 4F7B 5EFF 6369 495F 423B

    Online 64 .NET | http://www.online64.net/
    Help get the forums going.

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (MingW32)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFC+5cGXv9jaUlfQjsRAhYoAKCA4uWlEDO4CTj5Haasqrnm0AzsWgCeM2bq
    Xe+71Eja4CLDL9dy0w+H2pg=
    =ztmH
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Steve Thompson, Aug 11, 2005
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?bWlrY2tvejc0?=

    wireless networking a desk top and wireless laptop togeather

    =?Utf-8?B?bWlrY2tvejc0?=, Jul 15, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    597
    Malke
    Jul 15, 2005
  2. barry crowley
    Replies:
    20
    Views:
    1,240
  3. Andy
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    790
  4. Replies:
    5
    Views:
    370
    Charlie Russel - MVP
    Oct 2, 2005
  5. Timax

    wireless networking x64 and x 86

    Timax, Sep 20, 2009, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    525
    smlunatick
    Sep 23, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page