    big files is to create a DVD on the compaq and take this across to the
    M65, not a very economic way of working.
    , Jun 24, 2008

  2. Do you have 3 rd party security software running on Compaq? This search
    result may help too.
    XP SP3 Issues
    We have received some reports that some security software may not work
    after install XP SP3. You may want to check there is a new update for the
    software ...
    www.chicagotech.net/Windows/xpsp3.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Jun 24, 2008

  3. Lem Guest

    wrote:
    > Like fool I updated two of my computers on my home network to XP
    > SP3. The DEll Inspiron worked OK with onlythe need to tweak IE7. The
    > Compaq desktop, after updating suddenly decided that it would no
    > longer talk to the other Dell (Precision M65 XP Pro), however it would
    > talk to the Dell Inspiron. (by pinging eventually to test the
    > hardware). After trying two new PCI cards and a USB dongle to get
    > onto the network I still cannott transfer files from the M65 to the
    > Compaq and viceversa. The Compaq can't even ping itself but it can
    > ping the router/modem and the Dell Inspiron. The Dell M65 cannot ping
    > the Compaq but can ping the router and the the other Dell. Can
    > anyone shed any light on this problem or do I have to roll back to pre
    > SP3 days? Neither Dell nor Compaq nor Microsoft or Dlink or Belkin
    > can solve the problem. In the mean time the only way of transfering
    > big files is to create a DVD on the compaq and take this across to the
    > M65, not a very economic way of working.

    You need to approach this more systematically instead of just swapping
    hardware in and out.

    Do you get any error messages?

    If no, try MVP Hans-Georg Michna's networking troubleshooter:
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    And for what it's worth, my wireless network works fine after having
    installed SP3.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Jun 25, 2008
  4. Guest

    On 25 Jun, 00:55, Lem <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Like  fool I updated two of my computers on my home network to XP
    > > SP3.  The DEll Inspiron worked OK with onlythe need to tweak IE7.  The
    > > Compaq desktop, after updating suddenly decided that it would no
    > > longer talk to the other Dell (Precision M65 XP Pro), however it would
    > > talk to the Dell Inspiron. (by pinging eventually to test the
    > > hardware).   After trying two new PCI cards and a USB dongle to get
    > > onto the network I still cannott transfer files from the M65 to the
    > > Compaq and viceversa.  The Compaq can't even ping itself but it can
    > > ping the router/modem and the Dell Inspiron.  The Dell M65 cannot ping
    > > the Compaq but can ping the router and the the other Dell.   Can
    > > anyone shed any light on this problem or do I have to roll back to pre
    > > SP3 days?  Neither Dell nor Compaq nor Microsoft or Dlink or Belkin
    > > can solve the problem.   In the mean time the only way of transfering
    > > big files is to create a DVD on the compaq and take this across to the
    > > M65, not a very economic way of working.

    > You need to approach this more systematically instead of just swapping
    > hardware in and out.
    >
    > Do you get any error messages?
    >
    > If no, try MVP Hans-Georg Michna's networking troubleshooter:http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
    >
    > And for what it's worth, my wireless network works fine after having
    > installed SP3.
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP
    >
    > To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computerhttp://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm- Hide quoted text -

    Hi all

    Well it has been about a month of almost non-stop troubleshooting and
    we are still in a quandary. The Dell M65 now talks to all computers
    on the network (MSHOME), however the Compaq desktop will only talk to
    the Dell M65. The Dell Inspiron will only talk to the M65. All the
    computer appear on My Network Places>View network Computers on each m/
    c. When the Compaq tries to access the Inspiron I get asked for a
    password. Why? I didn't set one up and since it keeps telling me to
    see the administrator, (That's me by the way) I cannot help me cos I
    don't know how. I have given me a good talking to but it didn't help.
    When I try to access the Compaq from the Inspiron I get the usual" \
    \Dteoffice is not accessible see your administrator as you may not
    have permission." I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR AND I HAVE GIVEN
    PERMISSION. All sharing is OK. So I have this silly situation then
    means that if I want to send a file from the Inspiron to the Compaq;
    something I have to do regularly, which is why I had a network; I have
    to first send it to the M65 and from there to the destination. Can
    anyone help, I have reset the TCP/IP stack, configured all the
    firewalls properly, run the Network Setup Wizard again, 'ping'ed till
    my eyes bleed, re-installed drivers, read upteen Windows Knowledge
    base articles, contacted Windows Support (??) and shouted a lot. All
    computers can see and connect to the Internet so the wireless cards
    work OK and they can all print to the two network printers. What else
    can I try before the whole lot goes out the window and in comes the
    Apple Macs!!!
    , Jul 17, 2008