    I know that a hardware profile will fix the problem (disabling the wireless
    networking interface), but I wonder if there is another method.

    Thanx in advance...
    =?Utf-8?B?SGVsbXV0aCBTbm9laWplbg==?=, Oct 15, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SGVsbXV0aCBTbm9laWplbg==?=

    Dave Guest

    you are probably seeing the result of a 'fix' your network admins turned on
    for some other domain related problems. in the beginning the default for
    winxp was to not wait to find the domain server and connect before doing a
    user login, but this caused problems in some environments. The 'fix' was a
    policy change that tells xp to wait for the network to be initialized (or
    time out) before allowing user login. check with your admin and see if they
    did that and if it can be reversed, that 'should' help.

    "Helmuth Snoeijen" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > I have a question concerning wireless network adapters in combination with
    > LAN network cards in a laptop (in my case a Dell Latittude D600).
    >
    > When Windows XP SP2 is in the process of starting up (message screen:
    > preparing network connections), it takes a long time before it finishes

    the
    > process and shows the logon screen (Ctrl + Alt +Del). The reason for this

    is
    > that it tries first to find the domain controllers for the domain via the
    > fixed LAN connection (but that one is not connected) and secondly via the
    > wireless interface (and that one also has no network connection because

    there

    Dave, Oct 15, 2004

  3. I have a similar problem with my own laptop (uses a wireless access point for
    broadband), recently upgraded from win 2000 to xp pro. So I know there were
    no admin fixes applied but still, it hangs on the 'starting network
    connections screen'. If I take out the wireless network PCMCIA card, it hangs
    for about two minutes. If the card is left in, it can hang for a half an hour.

    How do I check to see what the problem is, and fix it? I've read the
    following may help:

    - Hard wire DNS lookup (no idea how to do that)
    - Upgrade to SP2 (did that, got worse)
    - Disable wireless networking (don't want to do that)

    Thanks anyone

    =?Utf-8?B?VGlt?=, Dec 16, 2004