    with the firewalls. What can I be missing?
    --
    kp

    =?Utf-8?B?a3A=?=, Oct 18, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?a3A=?=

    Patty Guest

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 18:06:02 -0700, kp wrote:

    > I have somewhat successfully networked 2 PC's in my home. 1 is running XP.
    > the othe is using Me. They can both ping each other. My XP can view files on
    > the other, but the Me cannot see files or the printer on the XP. I've played
    > with the firewalls. What can I be missing?

    Have you enabled File and Printer Sharing on the XP System? Is the XP
    system Home or Pro? If Pro, you may need to set permissions on the XP
    system or set the XP system to Simple File Sharing.

    Patty

    Patty, Oct 18, 2006

  3. Patty,
    I've got XP home. I've enabled file and print sharing every way I can find.
    I've turned off windows firewall and McAfee firewall. Is there anything I
    have to do as far as determining which PC is the host? Or are there stttings
    for peer to peer?
    --
    kp

    =?Utf-8?B?a3A=?=, Oct 18, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?a3A=?=

    Patty Guest

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:36:01 -0700, kp wrote:

    > Patty,
    > I've got XP home. I've enabled file and print sharing every way I can find.
    > I've turned off windows firewall and McAfee firewall. Is there anything I
    > have to do as far as determining which PC is the host? Or are there stttings
    > for peer to peer?

    You said you can "ping" the XP computer. Can you see it within the ME
    system by going to "My Network Places", then "Entire Network". Can you see
    your workgroup name? Can you doubleclick on the workgroup and see both the
    ME and the XP computer?

    Have you specifically shared any folders on the XP System by right-clicking
    and then selecting Sharing? A window should open asking if you want to
    share that folder on the network. You then give it a name. After that
    point, the ME computer should see that folder.

    Patty

    Patty, Oct 18, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?a3A=?=

    GTS Guest

    On the XP machine, turn on "Enable NetBIOS over TCP". This is in the
    advanced TCP settings (WINS tab) of your network connection properties.

    If you still have a problem, open a command prompt on the ME machine and
    type >start \\XPPCNetname (using the net name of your XP PC). If this
    results in an error message, report back with the error code.

    GTS, Oct 18, 2006
  6. GTS
    tried the netbios over tcp. no luck. when I type start\\(name of PC) at the
    command prompt, it tells me that windows doesn't recognize that name. Same
    thing happens when I try this on the XP PC, looking for the Me PC.
    --
    kp

    =?Utf-8?B?a3A=?=, Oct 19, 2006
  7. Patty
    tried all that, except give it a name? already has a name? where I select to
    "share", there is a "shared name", but I don't seem to be able to change it
    --
    kp

    =?Utf-8?B?a3A=?=, Oct 19, 2006
  8. i should also mention that on the ME machine, under entire network I can see
    the network and the XP machine. when I double click that station, I get "not
    accessable, no permission" messages. I've turned off every protection I can
    think of.
    --
    kp

    =?Utf-8?B?a3A=?=, Oct 19, 2006

    =?Utf-8?B?dHlkYXM=?=, Oct 19, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?a3A=?=

    Patty Guest

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:55:02 -0700, kp wrote:

    > Patty
    > tried all that, except give it a name? already has a name? where I select to
    > "share", there is a "shared name", but I don't seem to be able to change it

    Well, I don't know then. I have a home network using 3 XP Pro Computers,
    one ME, and one XP Home. I recently replaced a Windows 98SE system with
    the XP Home. Everyone sees everyone fine and everyone can print to
    everyone's printers (providing I share them). I use a LinkSys switch, a
    Linksys wired router and a Linksys Wireless Access Point. 2 computers (one
    XP Home and one XP Pro) are wireless the rest are wired.

    My XP Home allows me to put whatever I want into thw share name. Is the
    entry box grayed out? Have you checked the "Share this folder on the
    Network" box which should open up the field to allow you to name the share.
    Does it do the same when you try to share a printer? Are you
    right-clicking the item you want to share and selecting the "Sharing" tab?
    XP Home should be fairly easy to share since it uses simple file sharing by
    default. In My Computer, do you see a little hand on the device you want to
    share?

    What are your XP firewall settings? Have you enabled "File and Printing
    Sharing" on the Exceptions tab?

    When you click on your Network settings for your network, what things are
    listed (open My Network Places, then right-click your network and select
    properties).

    In a peer-to-peer network no one computer is the "host". All computers can
    share whatever resources they have. It's much different from a dedicated
    server network. The dedicated server generally runs a specific network OS
    such as 2000 Server or 2003 Server (we have one at work that still runs NT4
    Server).

    Patty

    Patty, Oct 19, 2006
  11. appreciate all your help, but just not getting anywhere. when I try to open
    the XP from the ME, I get a "not accessible, no permission" message. I'm
    guessing that something on the XP is blocking itbut I haven't found it yet.
    --
    kp

    =?Utf-8?B?a3A=?=, Oct 20, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?a3A=?=

    GTS Guest

    Here are a few other thoughts -
    1. On the XP machine run this in a cmd prompt >net user guest
    /active:yes
    2. On the XP machine Run ipconfig in a cmd prompt. What does the node
    type show?
    3. What happens if you run Start \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on the ME machine using
    the IP address of the XP box? (If consistent with your other information,
    this should find the machine but have a permissions issue accessing it.)

    You seem to be describing 2 different problems now. One of possible name
    resolution and the other of permissions.

    Have you tired configuring the MacAfee firewall to add the other computer to
    the trusted zone?

    GTS, Oct 22, 2006
  13. previous to type >start\\xppcname at com. prompt yielded same message of no
    permissions
    netuser guest at com. prompt gets description of the proper syntax
    ipconfig at com. prompt---I don't see anything about a node type
    typeing the ip address on the ip machine gets the same error message
    yes, I've configured McAffee that way and everyway I can think of
    Would a naming issue be pertinent? If I can see the XP machine and ping it?
    --
    kp

    =?Utf-8?B?a3A=?=, Oct 26, 2006
  14. GTS,
    maybe this will help you help me. When I do a firewall test with McAfee, it
    tells me that the request is coming from a different IP address than my
    computer, and therefore can't do the test. It says that the computer is
    probably behind a proxy or NAT. Does that tell you anything?
    --
    kp

    =?Utf-8?B?a3A=?=, Oct 27, 2006