    changes in SP2 would help clarify the sometimes fraught business of getting
    a wireless connection working, but it looks as problematic as ever.

    Mike
    Mike Ball, Aug 28, 2004

  2. Mike Ball

    Pavel A. Guest

    These people rarely mention whether they used WZC (now called simply "wireless configuration service" - no more "zero
    configuration :) or a 3rd party, or a manufacturer's utility.
    These utilities in their turn may use other externally developed components.
    All this stuff can become broken by SP2, but MS hardly can be blamed.
    It was responsibility of developers of these utilities to test on SP2 during it's beta period,
    and responsibility of users to get in touch with their drivers/software vendors for updates.
    Only if your WLAN was configured with WZC before SP2, and stopped working after,
    (and this is not related to the new SP2 firewall) you have a real SP2 issue.

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Aug 28, 2004

  3. Mike Ball

    Tony Marston Guest

    My wifi network, with uses 128bit WEP encryption, has no problems with XP
    SP2. I did have a problem with a 3Com pc card in my notebook, but wouldn't
    work under SP1 either. I changed it for one from US Robotics and now
    everything is fine.

    --
    Tony Marston

    http://www.tonymarston.net

    Tony Marston, Aug 29, 2004
  4. "Mike Ball" <> wrote in message
    > There seem to be quite a lot of people reporting wireless networking
    > problems after installing SP2 across various forums and boards. These
    > aren't just the 'cant get IP address type of issue', but also various
    > problems involving inability to see the wireless network at all, possible
    > problems with WEP keys, etc. Several people have related how they
    > uninstalled SP2 and restored the network connection.
    >
    > Is anyone else getting this impression? I had hoped that the wireless
    > changes in SP2 would help clarify the sometimes fraught business of
    > getting a wireless connection working, but it looks as problematic as
    > ever.

    Running wireless here with SP2 and no problems. I have a mix of wireless
    cards (Intel, Netgear, Linksys) all connected to a Netgear WG602 AP. I've
    used both the NIC vendors management tools to configure WEP, etc. and
    Windows native tools both of which work fine. My only disappointment with
    MS's new stuff is it still doesn't support Pass Phrases to create WEP keys.
    Instead it seems that MS has gone back to the Floppy/USB Key disk method of
    assisting setup and in many cases that just impractical.

    --

    Rob

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Aug 29, 2004
  5. Mike Ball

    Jack Guest

    Hi.
    In WinXP and XPSP1 there is a Windows Zero Configuration (WZC).

    In WinXP SP2 the name changed to: wireless configuration service (WCS).

    Microsoft provides it as added service to Windows Network system.

    Microsoft can not force the manufacturer of the Wireless Hardware to conform
    to this add-on.

    Some manufacturer do not care whether it is conforming to WCS, some might
    deliberately make it not conforming (this is especially so with the Entry
    Level Wireless Brands).

    I would suggest to use first the manufacturer drivers, and utility. If it
    does not work with the manufacturer driver and utility take it with the
    Brand's Support Tech.

    Once it is working with the above, and want to try for easier configuration
    you might try WCS YMMV.

    P.S. If you wonder why then the whole WCZ/WCS thingie is necessary.

    Well, I bought recently 22 wirelesses PCMCIA for my company. Before
    actually buying them I made sure that they do work correctly with WCZ/WCS.
    Its sure make life easy that every one can use the cards in his Laptop with
    no need to deal with additional software.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Aug 29, 2004
  6. Mike Ball

    Christian Guest

    I put SP2 on 8 computers running on a wireless router and I did not have any
    problems. I used Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration software to set up
    all the computers and I used a fixed 192.168.1.xxx address for each computer
    (DHCP turned off) and of course left SSID broadcasting on. I also used the
    SP2 firewall, the router has a SPI firewall in it. My internet provider
    also uses a firewall on its server, I am over protected.

    Christian, Aug 30, 2004
  7. Mike Ball

    Mike Ball Guest

    What wireless router and adapters do you have Christian?

    Mike

    Mike Ball, Sep 1, 2004
  8. Mike Ball

    Quaoar Guest

    "Mike Ball" <> wrote in message
    > There seem to be quite a lot of people reporting wireless networking
    > problems after installing SP2 across various forums and boards. These
    > aren't just the 'cant get IP address type of issue', but also various
    > problems involving inability to see the wireless network at all,
    > possible problems with WEP keys, etc. Several people have related how
    > they uninstalled SP2 and restored the network connection.
    >
    > Is anyone else getting this impression? I had hoped that the wireless
    > changes in SP2 would help clarify the sometimes fraught business of
    > getting a wireless connection working, but it looks as problematic as
    > ever.
    >
    > Mike

    Wireless is far more robust in SP2 than it was in SP1. Competing
    networks don't interfere, disconnections are nonexistent, booting is
    faster since wireless connects much faster at boot. I think it is a
    much needed improvement.

    Quaoar, Sep 1, 2004
  9. Mike Ball

    Mike Ball Guest

    Think the manufacturers of the wireless kit may need to catch the SP2
    philosophy a little then. I still cant get my Netgear WG121 to even see my
    wireless router using the built in Windows XP service - only works with the
    Netgear utility. Ah well.

    Mike

    Mike Ball, Sep 2, 2004
  10. Mike Ball

    Falcon Guest

    "Mike Ball" <> wrote in message
    > Think the manufacturers of the wireless kit may need to catch the SP2
    > philosophy a little then. I still cant get my Netgear WG121 to even see my
    > wireless router using the built in Windows XP service - only works with
    > the Netgear utility. Ah well.

    Funnily enough, I experienced the exact opposite. Nothing using the netgear
    utilities (for the MA111), but SP2 found the router and connected straight
    away. I can't explain it. Funny old world...

    --
    Falcon:
    fide, sed cui vide. (L)
    Falcon, Sep 2, 2004