Wireless networking advice

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Moody Marco, Dec 8, 2004.

  1. Moody Marco

    Moody Marco Guest

    Hi

    Just ordered a new PC that comes with " 802.11g 54Meg Wi-Fi Wireless System
    and Software. Set your PC as a virtual router to enable other Wi-Fi PCs and
    notebooks in your house to share your broadband internet and provide
    wireless home networking. "

    I'm gonna put the old PC in another family member's room. What I need to
    know is:

    a) Is it possible, with the right hardware in the old PC, to then access the
    main PC's ADSL net connection and use it's printer, from the old PC

    and

    b) what hardware would let me do this. I presume a wireless network card
    similar to the one in the new PC would be needed in the old PC? If so, any
    recommendations and rough costs?

    Also I take it when sharing a net connection like this that each PC will
    simply get half the bandwith each of they're both downloading at the same
    time?

    Thanks.
    Moody Marco, Dec 8, 2004

  2. Yes to all of your questions and a US Robotics (thats a good make) wireless
    network card is what you need and a router splits the bandwith equally so
    all of the pc's download at the same rate

    David Hemingsley, Dec 8, 2004