    Thanks for any thoughts that you care to share..

    Best regards,

    Penny
    Penny, Oct 16, 2004

  2. Penny

    DC Guest

    Penny wrote:
    > I have two computers that I want to set up with a wireless network. I
    > want both computers to share the cable modem, and also share peripherals.

    [...]

    > Thanks for any thoughts that you care to share..

    Should be pretty easy. How about a couple of links to get you started?

    http://www.homenethelp.com/ (start here)
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/ (decent tutorials)

    Good luck.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
    DC, Oct 16, 2004

  3. Penny wrote:

    > Hi computer Dudes and Dudettes,
    >
    > I have two computers that I want to set up with a wireless network. I
    > want both computers to share the cable modem, and also share peripherals.
    > Both are Win XP. One is a Laptop and the other a desktop. I'm pretty
    > computer savvy, but of course need directions. Is this a job that I can do
    > myself or should I hire it out...It's not so much the cost, but if it's a
    > straightforward job, I'd as soon do it myself. So my question is...How
    > difficult is it to set up a wireless network? Should I just go ahead and
    > try it myself? Both of my computers are still under contract to Dell and I
    > think that they might give me some support on this if I get stuck.
    >
    > Thanks for any thoughts that you care to share..
    >

    > Best regards,
    >
    > Penny

    Do it yourself. Between the directions supplied with the wireless
    equipment and XP's wizards, there's no need to pay a professional. Keep
    in mind that right out of the box most wireless equipment is set for
    absolutely no security. After you have it working, try turning on WEP or
    WPA encryption, maybe also enforce filtering for MAC addresses.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Oct 16, 2004
  4. Penny

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Penny wrote:
    >
    >> Hi computer Dudes and Dudettes,
    >>
    >> I have two computers that I want to set up with a wireless network.
    >> want both computers to share the cable modem, and also share peripherals.
    >> Both are Win XP. One is a Laptop and the other a desktop. I'm pretty
    >> computer savvy, but of course need directions. Is this a job that I can
    >> do
    >> myself or should I hire it out...It's not so much the cost, but if it's a
    >> straightforward job, I'd as soon do it myself. So my question is...How
    >> difficult is it to set up a wireless network? Should I just go ahead and
    >> try it myself? Both of my computers are still under contract to Dell and
    >> think that they might give me some support on this if I get stuck.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any thoughts that you care to share..
    >>

    >> Best regards,
    >>
    >> Penny

    > Do it yourself. Between the directions supplied with the wireless
    > equipment and XP's wizards, there's no need to pay a professional. Keep in
    > mind that right out of the box most wireless equipment is set for
    > absolutely no security. After you have it working, try turning on WEP or
    > WPA encryption, maybe also enforce filtering for MAC addresses.

    if there are no close neighbors, then don't use encryption. (encryption
    slows down your connectivity). read the manual.

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Oct 16, 2004
  5. Penny

    Eli Aran Guest

    how expensive is the wireless connection?
    which hardware does it need and how much should they cost?
    specific software?
    i would like to connect my XP pro (that is already connected to cable
    Internet)
    to a p1 133 Mhz computer running Win 95
    so that it can have the same cable internet connection from the XP computer.
    it is not possible to stretch cables between the two room so i was thinking
    of a wirless connection between the two for internet.
    is this fesable?
    is this worth while?
    thank you
    Eli Aran, Oct 16, 2004
  6. Penny

    dadiOH Guest

    Eli Aran wrote:
    > how expensive is the wireless connection?
    > which hardware does it need and how much should they cost?
    > specific software?
    > i would like to connect my XP pro (that is already connected to
    > cable Internet)
    > to a p1 133 Mhz computer running Win 95
    > so that it can have the same cable internet connection from the XP
    > computer. it is not possible to stretch cables between the two room
    > so i was thinking of a wirless connection between the two for
    > internet. is this fesable?

    You need something to broadcast the signal from the XP. Like a wireless
    router.

    The other machine needs something to receive the signal. Could be a
    wireless card, could be a USB adapter. I like the compact one at the bottom
    of this page. D-Link makes them too.
    http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=33&scid=36

    --
    dadiOH
    _____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
    ____________________________
    dadiOH, Oct 16, 2004
  7. Penny

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Eli Aran" <> wrote in

    > how expensive is the wireless connection?
    > which hardware does it need and how much should they cost?

    It depends on what kind of wire/wireless NAT router you get wireless B or
    G and the wireless NIC(s) that you get.

    At the top for the link it has other topics like *wireless*.

    > specific software?

    A personal firewall on each machine for wireless security, which you can
    search Google for *wirelsss secuirty in the home*.

    > i would like to connect my XP pro (that is already connected to cable
    > Internet)

    You connect the router to the cable modem and have its MAC provisioned
    with the ISP, connect one of the machines to it with a wire connection to
    configure the router and take the wireless NIC and put it into the other
    machine and you're hooked.

    > to a p1 133 Mhz computer running Win 95
    > so that it can have the same cable internet connection from the XP
    > computer. it is not possible to stretch cables between the two room so
    > i was thinking of a wirless connection between the two for internet.
    > is this fesable?

    > is this worth while?

    It makes sense and is worth the effort. You would also be able to get a
    wireless laptop and move around the house freely.

    Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, and Belkin are some of the manufactures.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Oct 16, 2004
  8. On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:36:23 -0400, "Penny" <> wrote:

    >Hi computer Dudes and Dudettes,
    >
    > I have two computers that I want to set up with a wireless network. I
    >want both computers to share the cable modem, and also share peripherals.
    >Both are Win XP. One is a Laptop and the other a desktop. I'm pretty
    >computer savvy, but of course need directions. Is this a job that I can do
    >myself or should I hire it out...It's not so much the cost, but if it's a
    >straightforward job, I'd as soon do it myself. So my question is...How
    >difficult is it to set up a wireless network? Should I just go ahead and
    >try it myself? Both of my computers are still under contract to Dell and I
    >think that they might give me some support on this if I get stuck.
    >
    >Thanks for any thoughts that you care to share..
    >

    >Best regards,
    >
    >Penny

    What you propose is straight forward, I did exactly what you are
    proposing and had the system up and running in 30 minutes. You can
    buy a 'kit' comprising both wireless PC Card (laptop) and adsl/router
    or cable/router that will work seamlessly with WINXP. I used 3 com
    equipment but Linksys and Netgear seem very popular.

    One thing you should do when doing the setup is to turn off your
    software firewalls, better still delete them from your machines, mthis
    includes disabling the windows firewall. After you have the system
    working you can always reload the firewall and do the necessary
    configuration. Many have problems setting up their networks because
    of an incorrectly configured software firewall.

    File and printer shariung sems to be another problem many encounter.
    There is ample advice/instructions/information on the web to guide
    you. Just search Google for 'file and printer sharing' and you will
    find all the information you will need.
    Edward W. Thompson, Oct 17, 2004