    wireless PCMCIA card. I can connect to the internet on both computers ok,
    however I cannot share files between the two computers or print from the
    laptop. Anyone any suggestions.
    Steve Shipping, Jun 25, 2005

  2. Steve Shipping

    Malke Guest

    Steve Shipping wrote:

    > I have just installed a 4 port wireless router which is connected as
    > follows, broadband cable modem to the wan socket on the router,
    > printer connected to desktop pc, desktop to router via Ethernet cable
    > and laptop via wireless PCMCIA card. I can connect to the internet on
    > both computers ok, however I cannot share files between the two
    > computers or print from the laptop. Anyone any suggestions.

    Hi - It doesn't really matter whether your network is wired or wireless;
    the issue is that you need to set up a home network. Since I don't know
    what operating systems you have, here are some links to help you with
    networking:

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
    (Pro)

    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ - Dr. Tom's site
    http://www.wown.info/
    http://www.ezlan.net/index.html

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Jun 25, 2005

  3. I have XP Pro on the desktop and XP Home on the laptop. Being this is new
    territory for me, I don't understand the acronyms or where to find them (TCP,
    URL...) I followed the network set up (several times now) and all seemed to
    go well. Yet I can not share the printer. I browsed for the printer and
    initially could find all the printer names installed on the laptop but
    nothing for the desktop (which is where the printer is really at). Now I
    can't find any names on either comp. It seems to me that using the url of the
    internet is the best option but I have now idea how to set that up or find it
    if it currently exist. Do you have suggestions?
    =?Utf-8?B?c2NvdHQ=?=, Jun 25, 2005
  4. Steve Shipping

    Malke Guest

    scott wrote:

    > I have XP Pro on the desktop and XP Home on the laptop. Being this is
    > new territory for me, I don't understand the acronyms or where to find
    > them (TCP, URL...) I followed the network set up (several times now)
    > and all seemed to go well. Yet I can not share the printer. I browsed
    > for the printer and initially could find all the printer names
    > installed on the laptop but nothing for the desktop (which is where
    > the printer is really at). Now I can't find any names on either comp.
    > It seems to me that using the url of the internet is the best option
    > but I have now idea how to set that up or find it if it currently
    > exist. Do you have suggestions?

    Is the printer locally connected to one of the computers? If so, make
    sure you've enabled sharing of the printer. If it is connected to the
    desktop and is not a network printer, using an url won't help. Here's
    an easy, down-and-dirty way to get things working (and you can look at
    some of the links I gave you later):

    1. Create identical user accounts/passwords on both machines.
    2. Make sure you've set File & Printer Sharing as allowed in the Windows
    Firewall Exceptions tab (Control Panel applet) on both machines.
    3. Make sure you've created shares on desired resources, like the
    printer and any other directories.

    Here's an excellent network troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna if
    the above doesn't work for you:

    http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    Malke, Jun 25, 2005
  5. Malke
    I wanted to get back to you and up date you on the fix for the problem you
    advised me on. The underlying problem was a firewall. I run ZA and the router
    also has a firewall (can;t remember the name). The router is a DI-524 by
    D-Link. Any how, it was having access problems other than what you helped me
    with and tech support had me shutdown the ZA to fix the access problems with
    the router. When I did, the network came to life and I have full access to
    the printer and all the files.
    I believe this speaks well for ZA as it does what it is designed to do
    (zonelabs.com to get a copy) and ZA tech said it is just a matter of setting
    it up properly to work wiyhin the network. Thanks for your help and I hope my
    experience will add to your knowledge base. It's great that there are people
    like you out here helping the computer hacks like me.

    =?Utf-8?B?c2NvdHQ=?=, Jun 27, 2005