    them from see them? I know that I should set up a WEP or WPA. However, if
    there is not security concern should setting WPA be neccesary?

    Thanks

    Richard, Jan 17, 2006

  2. Richard

    Hank Guest

    Segregate your internal network into a subnet and have the access point IP
    in a different subnet. Use static IP's in the subnet and let the AP do DHCP
    for the customers. Now if you don't care about who or what uses your AP who
    needs encryption as long as your customers understand they have no privacy
    and anyone can hack their machines. Now you can have the AP assign keys to
    your customers for encryption, which would give them some security but your
    AP could still be used by anyone. Assign USERID's and passwords to further
    secure your wireless AP. Your LAN is open to attack from the AP but the
    value of the data can be protected by a firewall by corectly setting up your
    router and subnet.

    Hank

    Hank, Jan 17, 2006

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    > Segregate your internal network into a subnet and have the access point IP
    > in a different subnet.

    I meant assign an IP range or IP address from the wired router to the
    wireless router and leave DHCP enable on the wireless router?

    Richard, Jan 17, 2006
  4. Richard

    Bob Bosen Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >I have a cafe in which I want to setup a wireless internet access for my
    >customer. I have three computers hook up in a local lan sharing
    >informaiton though a wired rounter. I want to take a hole from the wired
    >router and hook a cable though a wireless router. From the wiresless
    >rounter, my customer can access free internet from there. My question,
    >will my customer see files being shared from my three computers? If they
    >do how do I prevent them from see them? I know that I should set up a WEP
    >or WPA. However, if there is not security concern should setting WPA be
    >neccesary?
    >
    > Thanks

    If I were you, I would change the architecture. Consider this arrangement:

    Internet -> Wireless Router -> Wired router

    Configuring each of those two routers in the usual and customary way will
    create two separate subnets (for example, the wireless subnet on 192.168.0.x
    and the wired subnet on 192.168.1.x). Your "Wired router" subnet is then in
    a more secure position than the wireless router subnet. If your wired router
    subnet is using nonrouteable protocols (not bound to IP) for file and
    printer sharing, you get good isolation for your private, internal work.
    Computers on the innermost (wired) network will be able to access services
    on the wireless segment (and on the Internet), but computers on the wireless
    subnet won't be able to access services on the Wired segment unless you
    configure your wired NAT router explicitly with port forwarding.

    You should make also sure your wired router is NOT configured for "Universal
    Plug and Play", because that could automagically open some holes that might
    be exploitable from the wireless network. But as long as you take reasonable
    and ordinary precautions with your wired NAT router, you'll be in pretty
    good shape.

    Regarding encryption on your wireless router, if it's running DHCP and not
    encrypting, then it will be picked up and used by strangers and passersby
    who want free, temporary Internet access. You have to decide whether you
    like this or not, but be aware that those strangers will be pretty much
    anonymous, and strangers sometimes do nasty things with free access (launch
    spam attacks, etc.). Spam, illegal filesharing, or virus attacks launched
    that way will appear to be coming from YOU. If you turn on WEP you'll set
    up an acceptable barrier to prevent casual, unauthorized use. If you turn on
    WPA and use a nonguessable passphrase you will set up a barrier that's
    strong enough to prevent even vigorous attacks and exploitation.

    I realize that this architecture will be a little more disruptive to install
    than what you originally described, but it will be well worth the trouble. I
    bet the two routers in your original plan already have all of the necessary
    hooks for this.... just take a deep breath and go for it!

    You can find a brief description of this kind of architecture within this
    document:

    http://www.askmisterwizard.com/1952060314001615NatPortForwarding.htm

    (See especially the second of the four illustrations.)

    I hope this helps,

    -Bob Bosen-
    www.AskMisterWizard.com (Instructional videos for people with work to do)

    Bob Bosen, Feb 22, 2006
  5. Richard

    news Guest

    testing 123

    news, Mar 26, 2006
  6. In specific to your question the answer is a question.
    you have to have security in the files you have on your network.
    First make sure in the files security you remove everyone and anonymous
    add users.
    after that test in every computer to see if you can get access then test
    with another computer.

    since you do not want to charge your customers you have no need to use
    wep for secure connection.
    still you need to have one computer creating a log of the sites access
    and what computers are accessing it http://www.cyberpatrol.com/ is a
    good program
    you need to have this logs for example if I create a powerful virus and
    connect to your network then send it to the internet the internet police
    will detect your network and you can protect yourself by giving them the
    information that will be faster and with no problems for you.

    at the end the best thing to do is ask a network administrator to do
    that for you the labor will be 100 dollars in US and you will ended up
    protecting your files and protecting your customers to.

    news newshost.oracle.com, Apr 13, 2006