    laptops ) the desktop drive. Is it possible?
    Not very familiar with networking.
    Thanks

    Molecule, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Molecule

    Atreju Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:37:20 GMT, "Molecule" <> wrote:

    >Bought a wireless broadand router, two laptops and my desktop are connected
    >to it, the two portable wirelessly and the desktop with a cat cable. I am
    >using windows xp home edition, I would like to be able to access ( using the
    >laptops ) the desktop drive. Is it possible?
    >Not very familiar with networking.
    >Thanks

    Since you have XP Home, Remote Desktop is out of the question. You
    could use Remote Assistance but it is a pain since you have to send an
    "invitation." Look into buying a copy of Symantec pcAnywhere this will
    allow you to remote control your computer from over the network.

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Aug 13, 2004

  3. Molecule

    Molecule Guest

    "Atreju" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:37:20 GMT, "Molecule" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Bought a wireless broadand router, two laptops and my desktop are

    connected
    > >to it, the two portable wirelessly and the desktop with a cat cable. I am
    > >using windows xp home edition, I would like to be able to access ( using

    the
    > >laptops ) the desktop drive. Is it possible?
    > >Not very familiar with networking.
    > >Thanks
    > >

    > Since you have XP Home, Remote Desktop is out of the question. You
    > could use Remote Assistance but it is a pain since you have to send an
    > "invitation." Look into buying a copy of Symantec pcAnywhere this will
    > allow you to remote control your computer from over the network.
    >

    > ---Atreju---

    Would I need XP Professional ?
    Thanks

    Molecule, Aug 13, 2004
  4. Molecule

    D Guest

    yes it is possible and quite easy but not at all secure.

    simply configure your router to offer DHCP to each of the computers and be
    sure they are all on the same subnet (ie: 192.168.1.100 through to
    192.168.1.102 all with the same subnet mask ie: 255.255.255.0).

    then you can access shares, map network drives (right click my computer) or
    access through remote control progrz (like the one built into XP or
    pcanywhere or realVCN).

    good luck,

    D, Aug 13, 2004
  5. Molecule

    Molecule Guest

    "D" <> wrote in message
    > yes it is possible and quite easy but not at all secure.
    >
    > simply configure your router to offer DHCP to each of the computers and be
    > sure they are all on the same subnet (ie: 192.168.1.100 through to
    > 192.168.1.102 all with the same subnet mask ie: 255.255.255.0).
    >
    > then you can access shares, map network drives (right click my computer)

    or
    > access through remote control progrz (like the one built into XP or
    > pcanywhere or realVCN).
    >
    > good luck,

    Thanks, will try

    Molecule, Aug 13, 2004
  6. Molecule

    D Guest

    winXP pro is far better than home however dont decide to buy it just for the
    remote control. realVNC is quite good and free. pcanywhere is better than
    both, more secure and more features.

    also, keep in mind... if it is just file sharing you want then you dont need
    remote control. just map network drives and do file sharing.

    please tell us more specifically what it is you want to do in the end??

    D, Aug 13, 2004
  7. Molecule

    Molecule Guest

    "D" <> wrote in message
    > winXP pro is far better than home however dont decide to buy it just for

    the
    > remote control. realVNC is quite good and free. pcanywhere is better

    than
    > both, more secure and more features.
    >
    > also, keep in mind... if it is just file sharing you want then you dont

    need
    > remote control. just map network drives and do file sharing.
    >
    > please tell us more specifically what it is you want to do in the end??
    >
    > I just wanted to be able to "see" my desktop drive on my laptop so I can

    get data from it and transfer it on my laptop drive.
    Thanks

    Molecule, Aug 13, 2004
  8. Molecule

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Molecule" <> wrote in

    > Bought a wireless broadand router, two laptops and my desktop are
    > connected to it, the two portable wirelessly and the desktop with a
    > cat cable. I am using windows xp home edition, I would like to be able
    > to access ( using the laptops ) the desktop drive. Is it possible?
    > Not very familiar with networking.
    > Thanks

    This link tells you how to do it.

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

    The router is the gateway device that allows your machines to share
    resources on the LAN.

    You may have trouble if you have WEP or WAP enabled and it may not allow
    the wired and wireless machines to access each other with the encryption
    enabled. If that is the case, use NWlink instead of NetBeui. You should
    uninstall NetBeui first.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en
    -us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-
    us/prch_cnn_lafg.asp

    You should secure the wireless network.

    http://netsecurity.about.com/od/hackertools/a/aa072004b.htm

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 13, 2004
  9. Molecule

    Atreju Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:57:14 GMT, "Molecule" <> wrote:

    >"Atreju" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:37:20 GMT, "Molecule" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Bought a wireless broadand router, two laptops and my desktop are

    >connected
    >> >to it, the two portable wirelessly and the desktop with a cat cable. I am
    >> >using windows xp home edition, I would like to be able to access ( using

    >the
    >> >laptops ) the desktop drive. Is it possible?
    >> >Not very familiar with networking.
    >> >Thanks
    >> >

    >> Since you have XP Home, Remote Desktop is out of the question. You
    >> could use Remote Assistance but it is a pain since you have to send an
    >> "invitation." Look into buying a copy of Symantec pcAnywhere this will
    >> allow you to remote control your computer from over the network.
    >>

    >> ---Atreju---

    >Would I need XP Professional ?
    >Thanks

    Not for pcAnywhere.

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Aug 13, 2004
  10. Molecule

    Atreju Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:26:32 GMT, "Molecule" <> wrote:

    >"D" <> wrote in message
    >> winXP pro is far better than home however dont decide to buy it just for

    >the
    >> remote control. realVNC is quite good and free. pcanywhere is better

    >than
    >> both, more secure and more features.
    >>
    >> also, keep in mind... if it is just file sharing you want then you dont

    >need
    >> remote control. just map network drives and do file sharing.
    >>
    >> please tell us more specifically what it is you want to do in the end??
    >>
    >> I just wanted to be able to "see" my desktop drive on my laptop so I can

    >get data from it and transfer it on my laptop drive.
    >Thanks

    If you only need data transfer then you don't need remote control at
    all. Simply make both computers members of the same "Workgroup" and
    share the directories you want, then access them over the network.

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Aug 13, 2004