Wireless Network Worries

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. Dear all,

    My window XP computers (peer to peer) using Dlink wireless router and
    adapters for files(network drive) and printer sharing...
    Wireless setting as below:
    SSID: not default name
    Network Authentication : Open
    Data encryption: WEP
    Network key : contain 10 digit
    Key index (advanced) : 1
    The key is provided for me automatically : uncheck
    This is a computer to computer (ad hoc) network; wireless access points are
    not used: uncheck
    ________________
    Enable IEEE 802.1 x authentication for this network: uncheck
    (grey out) EAP type : Smart Card or other Certificate
    (grey out) Authenticate as computer when computer information is availabe:
    checked
    (grey out)Authenticate as guest when user or computer information is
    unavailable: uncheck
    _________________
    Connection
    Whenever this network is detected, windows can connect to it automatically.
    Connect when this network is in range: checked
    _____________________

    My folder share out as network drive, this mean if someone crack my network
    key, they still can't see my share file!
    Am I right?? I'm getting more and more worries as I read more news about the
    wireless security issue...
    Any advise?

    Thank a lots

    Regards

    bob

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=, Dec 20, 2005

  2. Hello,

    If someone does "crack" your code, any home network resources will be
    accessable and transferrable. your router should have more than a WEP
    encryption. Look for another type like MAC Filtering which will only allow
    your computers MAC Addresses to access the network, IP filetering is useful
    but still not as much as MAC Filtering, then all you have to worry about is
    if someone finds a way to clone your MAC then cracks the code , (alot more
    security for you)

    =?Utf-8?B?bWUyMDA1?=, Dec 21, 2005

  3. the main problem you have is that you are useing WEP encryption-it is I am
    afraid garbage and can be cracked by an experienced hacker in 15 minutes.To
    solve your problem set encryption to WPA.It is much more secure-end of problem

    =?Utf-8?B?bWF2ZXJtaWs5OA==?=, Jan 1, 2006