    files. the laptop sees my wireless network and can access the net. I have
    shared a folder on the xp machine but cannot map to it on the laptop. could
    it be a windows firewall or norton firewall problem? any ideas please?

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGVhbiBwaGlsbGlwcw==?=, Sep 28, 2007

  2. Hi
    Running two software Firewall is a No No. So as a first step decide on one
    Firewall and disable or and get rid of the other.
    However, even one Firewall if Not configured correctly can block File
    Sharing,
    How I set my software Firewall to allow free traffic between my Network’s
    computers.
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#trusted

    Otherwise, successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network
    settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Basic XP -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 29, 2007

  3. Thanks I'll give it a go.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGVhbiBwaGlsbGlwcw==?=, Sep 29, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?ZGVhbiBwaGlsbGlwcw==?=

    maxtaurus1 Guest

    maxtaurus1, Dec 21, 2008
  5. =?Utf-8?B?ZGVhbiBwaGlsbGlwcw==?=

    maxtaurus1 Guest

    maxtaurus1, Dec 21, 2008
  6. =?Utf-8?B?ZGVhbiBwaGlsbGlwcw==?=

    maxtaurus1 Guest

    maxtaurus1, Dec 21, 2008
  7. I have what seems to be exactly the same problem. I can see all computers on
    the wireless network from both sides (vista laptop and xp desktop). I can
    fully access my vista laptops, essentially doing anything I want. However,
    even though I can see my xp desktop, I always get an access/ no permission
    error message when I try to access the machine. I tried everything except
    hooking up paper cups to make it work. They include:

    1. updating LLTD responder
    2. Disabling all firewalls
    3. Disabling Norton
    4. Completely sharing drives and folders
    5. Resetting my security permissions to default
    6. Rename workgroup so all computers have the same name
    7. Reset up my wireless network using the wizard
    8. Used the network setup wizard.
    9. Reconfigured my router.

    The funny thing is that six months ago it was working and it was a snap to
    set up. I installed a second slave HD and had Norton help me to access it and
    the next thing you know it is not working. But everything else seems fine. No
    viruses, no performance issues. I just cannot access XP destop from my vista
    laptop.

    Been working on this for a week and I have more websites / urls than you can
    bat an eye lash, so if someone can help...really appreciate it.

    wireless in hawaii, Feb 24, 2009
  8. If you create the same username on both computers, can you access XP? Or
    this search result may help.
    Access issues
    "computername is not accessible. No permission to access the
    resources" ... Message: "....is not accessible. You may not have permission
    to use this network ...
    www.chicagotech.net/accesserrors.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Feb 24, 2009
  9. Well, not sure what was the fix, but went ahead and manually set permissions
    and redid trusted on Norton and now I can access XP. If Norton had something
    to do with it, I guess merely turning off the firewall and turning off
    autoprotect aren't good enough. Thanks Robert for the links.

    wireless in hawaii, Feb 26, 2009
  10. Now that I can access XP desktop from wireless laptop using Vista, what
    recommendations for setting up a password to access XP?

    wireless in hawaii, Feb 26, 2009
  11. Thank you for the update.

    1. You don't need to turn off the Norton firewall. You just need to add the
    LAN IP addresses. This how to may help.
    Symantec and Norton How to
    Symantec and Norton How to. How to push Symantec EndPoint to all
    clients · How to: Setup Norton Security for local access ...
    www.howtonetworking.com/others/norton.htm

    2. For home network, you may want to create the same username and
    password for sharing.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    "wireless in hawaii" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Feb 26, 2009
  12. For my network all my computers are access each other. However, I do want to
    make it such that a logon screen pops up when trying to access each computer.
    Can this be done?

    wireless in hawaii, Mar 3, 2009
  13. =?Utf-8?B?ZGVhbiBwaGlsbGlwcw==?=

    TGilboy Guest

    Have read the posts here regarding getting XP to “see†a printer on wireless
    network. Read article, which was straightforward. If I understood it
    correctly, the fix appears to have a PC attached to the printer as a local
    and then the PC attached to the wireless network.

    I have a printer on the wireless network, direct, without a PC attached. IP
    address for printer, etc.

    Is there some way to get XP to “see†this printer? While I am waiting for
    any response, I will take a look at my Norton sharing…..

    See details below:

    <1>
    Using Windows XP Pro, new Dell Latitude E5400.
    <2>
    I have set up Home office wireless network using ATT’s “2-Wire†wireless DSL
    Gateway. Works OK, access to internet no problem.
    <3>
    I have attached printer to “2-Wire†wireless DSL Gateway. Printer is HP
    Photosmart C 6180. Printer confirms connection to Printer. When I check ATT
    web page (http://192.168.1.254/), the “Home Network†tab “sees†the Printer.
    <4>
    Next step is to use “Add Printer†Wizard, and “Browse†for network printers;
    the Wizard does not see the Printer on my Network.
    <5>
    Did a cold reboot of Dell – no solution.
    <6>
    Then tried using the MS “Wireless Network Wizardâ€. Recommended was to copy
    settings on to USB device and then attach USB device to printer. Printer did
    not recognize device, or clear problem. Then tried “manual†process on
    Wireless Network Wizard. The Wizard displayed the “Settingsâ€, and those
    settings were exactly as reported on the Printer and on the “2-Wire†wireless
    DSL Gateway.

    TGilboy, Jul 30, 2009
  14. =?Utf-8?B?ZGVhbiBwaGlsbGlwcw==?=

    Lem Guest

    TGilboy wrote:
> [...]
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/filesharing.mspx
    >> Advanced XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040
    >> Printer Sharing XP -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx
    >> Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP -
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    >> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista -
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    >>
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>

    >> "dean phillips" <dean > wrote in message
    >>> i have an xp home machine and a vista laptop and am having problems sharing
    >>> files. the laptop sees my wireless network and can access the net. I have
    >>> shared a folder on the xp machine but cannot map to it on the laptop.
    >>> could
    >>> it be a windows firewall or norton firewall problem? any ideas please?

    HP printers often require that you "find" them by installing the hp
    software (ugh!) on the computer, *especially* for all-in-one devices
    such as your Photosmart C6180.

    You can first check to see if your firewall has been properly
    configured. Determine the IP address of the printer either from your
    router (the "gateway") or by printing a configuration page using the
    printer's front panel controls.

    Then either open a Command Prompt and type
    ping [printer IP] [press Enter]

    or open a web browser and enter the printer's IP address in the web browser.

    At the very least, the ping should reply with no errors. If it does not,
    check the firewall settings on your computer.

    Here are hp's directions to install the printer on a wireless network:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&dlc=&cc=us&lang=&rule=22681&product=1153494
    (It sounds as if you have already completed Steps 1 and 2).

    Once you have things working, you should probably reconfigure the
    printer to used a fixed IP address outside the range of IP addresses
    allocated by the DHCP server in your router. The "HP Standard TCP/IP
    Port" (which will be added if you follow the directions above) has a
    check box that says, "Always print to this device, even if its IP
    address changes," but I have had mixed results with this.

    After you set the printer to a fixed IP address (HP may call it a
    "manual" IP address) using its web-based utility (or via a USB
    connection), go to
    Start > Printers and Faxes
    Right click on the printer icon and select Properties
    Select the Ports tab and scroll down until you see the checked entry for
    your C6180. Highlight this entry and click "Configure Port."
    Enter the IP address in the correct box and OK your way out.

    Before setting the printer's fixed IP address, you may want to open a
    Command Prompt and type
    ipconfig /all [press Enter]
    and write down the subnet mask (which will be 255.255.255.0), the
    Default Gateway IP address, and the IP addresses for your DNS servers.
    These values will be required when setting the printer's IP address.
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago this month:

    Lem, Jul 30, 2009
  15. =?Utf-8?B?ZGVhbiBwaGlsbGlwcw==?=

    TGilboy Guest

    Thx. Key issue (one I solved Norton "Trust" hurdle) was to reset the port to
    TCP/IP. I had originally config printer as local on USB port. One I added
    the new TCP/IP port and checked it, finally worked.

    TGilboy, Jul 31, 2009
  16. =?Utf-8?B?ZGVhbiBwaGlsbGlwcw==?=

    Lem Guest

    TGilboy wrote:
> [...]

    >> address changes," but I have had mixed results with this.
    >>
    >> After you set the printer to a fixed IP address (HP may call it a
    >> "manual" IP address) using its web-based utility (or via a USB
    >> connection), go to
    >> Start > Printers and Faxes
    >> Right click on the printer icon and select Properties
    >> Select the Ports tab and scroll down until you see the checked entry for
    >> your C6180. Highlight this entry and click "Configure Port."
    >> Enter the IP address in the correct box and OK your way out.
    >>
    >> Before setting the printer's fixed IP address, you may want to open a
    >> Command Prompt and type
    >> ipconfig /all [press Enter]
    >> and write down the subnet mask (which will be 255.255.255.0), the
    >> Default Gateway IP address, and the IP addresses for your DNS servers.
    >> These values will be required when setting the printer's IP address.

    If you just added the Windows Standard TCP/IP port and didn't install
    the hp software package, you'll probably be able to print OK but you may
    not be able to use the scanner.

    Lem, Jul 31, 2009