    and she said that it wouldn't work, so I thought I'd ask people who
    may know a little more so.

    Dave

    dgbarnett06, Jul 7, 2007

  2. dgbarnett06 wrote:
    > I have a desktop PC currently and want to replace it with a laptop, so
    > I will have only one PC, the laptop. My question is, can I set it up
    > so that I can use a wireless network for my cable modem, so that I can
    > browse the internet from anywhere in my house, or do I have to have
    > another PC hooked into the network for this to work. I asked a friend
    > and she said that it wouldn't work, so I thought I'd ask people who
    > may know a little more so.

    No other computer is required, you just need a wireless router. It will
    be easier to set up the router if you use an ethernet cable for the
    initial setup, after that, you're free to roam.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 7, 2007

  3. dgbarnett06

    dgbarnett06 Guest

    On Jul 6, 10:22 pm, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    > dgbarnett06 wrote:
    > > I have a desktop PC currently and want to replace it with a laptop, so
    > > I will have only one PC, the laptop. My question is, can I set it up
    > > so that I can use a wireless network for my cable modem, so that I can
    > > browse the internet from anywhere in my house, or do I have to have
    > > another PC hooked into the network for this to work. I asked a friend
    > > and she said that it wouldn't work, so I thought I'd ask people who
    > > may know a little more so.

    > No other computer is required, you just need a wireless router. It will
    > be easier to set up the router if you use an ethernet cable for the
    > initial setup, after that, you're free to roam.

    Thank you so much, I feel a lot better about making a purchase now
    that I know it is possible. Thank you!

    Dave

    dgbarnett06, Jul 7, 2007
  4. dgbarnett06 wrote:
    > On Jul 6, 10:22 pm, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >
    >>dgbarnett06 wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a desktop PC currently and want to replace it with a laptop, so
    >>>I will have only one PC, the laptop. My question is, can I set it up
    >>>so that I can use a wireless network for my cable modem, so that I can
    >>>browse the internet from anywhere in my house, or do I have to have
    >>>another PC hooked into the network for this to work. I asked a friend
    >>>and she said that it wouldn't work, so I thought I'd ask people who
    >>>may know a little more so.

    >>No other computer is required, you just need a wireless router. It will
    >>be easier to set up the router if you use an ethernet cable for the
    >>initial setup, after that, you're free to roam.

    > Thank you so much, I feel a lot better about making a purchase now
    > that I know it is possible. Thank you!

    No problem, you're welcome.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 7, 2007
  5. dgbarnett06

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "dgbarnett06" <> wrote in message
    >I have a desktop PC currently and want to replace it with a laptop, so
    > I will have only one PC, the laptop. My question is, can I set it up
    > so that I can use a wireless network for my cable modem, so that I can
    > browse the internet from anywhere in my house, or do I have to have
    > another PC hooked into the network for this to work. I asked a friend
    > and she said that it wouldn't work, so I thought I'd ask people who
    > may know a little more so.
    >
    > Dave

    Like Roger said, it's no problem. But you need a wireless cable modem or a
    wireless router with your regular cable modem. Some cable and DSL companies
    provide a wireless model with their service.

    WhzzKdd, Jul 7, 2007
  6. dgbarnett06

    Plato Guest

    dgbarnett06 wrote:

    > I have a desktop PC currently and want to replace it with a laptop, so
    > I will have only one PC, the laptop. My question is, can I set it up
    > so that I can use a wireless network for my cable modem, so that I can
    > browse the internet from anywhere in my house, or do I have to have
    > another PC hooked into the network for this to work. I asked a friend
    > and she said that it wouldn't work, so I thought I'd ask people who
    > may know a little more so.

    Just get a wireless router. That seems the way to go now and so many
    families have kids with wireless capable notebooks and want to use their
    internet connection from anyplace in the house, even the bathroom. Sure
    saves lots of time manually wireing a house up. Be sure to set up the
    security properly so your neighbors cant use your connection for free,

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 7, 2007
  7. dgbarnett06

    Rowdy Guest

    On Jul 6, 7:18 pm, dgbarnett06 <> wrote:
    > I have a desktop PC currently and want to replace it with a laptop, so
    > I will have only one PC, the laptop. My question is, can I set it up
    > so that I can use a wireless network for my cable modem, so that I can
    > browse the internet from anywhere in my house, or do I have to have
    > another PC hooked into the network for this to work. I asked a friend
    > and she said that it wouldn't work, so I thought I'd ask people who
    > may know a little more so.
    >
    > Dave

    I have been using a D-Link G64T wireless modem/router for about 18
    months and it's awesome. Main pc is connected via ethernet and the
    laptop has a Wireless D-Link AirPlus G630 that talks with the router.
    I get total coverage around the house and share printing and files
    from the main computer. Even though you will have one computer you
    will need both a wireless usb or PCMIA card for laptop and a wirless
    modem/router set up near your phone line.

    Rowdy

    Rowdy, Jul 7, 2007
  8. dgbarnett06

    caroline Guest

    "Rowdy" <> wrote in message
    > On Jul 6, 7:18 pm, dgbarnett06 <> wrote:
    > > I have a desktop PC currently and want to replace it with a laptop, so
    > > I will have only one PC, the laptop. My question is, can I set it up
    > > so that I can use a wireless network for my cable modem, so that I can
    > > browse the internet from anywhere in my house, or do I have to have
    > > another PC hooked into the network for this to work. I asked a friend
    > > and she said that it wouldn't work, so I thought I'd ask people who
    > > may know a little more so.
    > >
    > > Dave

    > I have been using a D-Link G64T wireless modem/router for about 18
    > months and it's awesome. Main pc is connected via ethernet and the
    > laptop has a Wireless D-Link AirPlus G630 that talks with the router.
    > I get total coverage around the house and share printing and files
    > from the main computer. Even though you will have one computer you
    > will need both a wireless usb or PCMIA card for laptop and a wirless
    > modem/router set up near your phone line.
    >
    > Rowdy

    Make sure the router is secure otherwise others near you will be using it
    for free

    caroline, Jul 7, 2007
  9. dgbarnett06

    Guest

    As mentioned in yesterday's Rogue post, I highly believe in Cooking as
    a skill that's excellent to have. You save yourself money in regards
    to buying food, and you have a highly portable and common source of
    buffs. For those of us who have classes that can't cast buffs, this is
    a real boon -- although every class can benefit from added buffs! So
    when I saw the mentioned addition of more new Cooking recipes in the
    patch, I had to get out there and see what was available.

    For those of you who haven't gotten time to check into them, here's
    the lowdown. There are three new recipes available from the lovely
    dancing barmaid, Kylene, in the bar in the Lower City. The amusing
    thing about these three new recipes (at least to me) is that they have
    you cooking the off-hand fish "weapons" that you can catch. (Of
    course, this means that gone are the days of Monty Python Fish
    Slapping Dance renditions. Wait... Maybe that's just my guild. )

    Nonetheless, for those with an eye for fresh fish and sampling the
    finest in Azerothian Cuisine, check out the Good Eats after the jump!
    http://www.wowatm.com
    http://www.wowatm.com
    http://www.wowatm.com

    , Jul 7, 2007