Wireless Network with 30 clients

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by brendacchio, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. brendacchio

    brendacchio Guest

    Hello all,

    I am running a small wireless network (30 users) at my school and it
    seems that my D-Link 624 Wireless Router just can't cut it anymore. I
    am getting about 5-10 outages a day when the lab fills up. I am
    thinking I need to upgrade to a more powerful router. I tried to take
    an old PC, install FreeBSD (failed!) and Ubuntu (failed!), and get it
    to do NAT and Masquerading but I wasn't able to figure it out and I
    don't have the time to do all of the research. Perhaps Suse would be
    a viable option?

    Does anyone know how I can use this old computer as a simple router and
    hook up an access point? What about the Apple Airport Extreme? Should
    that be able to handle the load? What's a good high-powered router
    that I can find in the €500 range? The students do not do anything
    out of the ordinary besides downloading and uploading photos and
    printing.

    Thanks in advance.

    brendacchio, Oct 20, 2005

  2. brendacchio

    Tony Guest

    "brendacchio" <> wrote in message
[...]

    Try Smoothwall free from http://www.smoothwall.org/ runs on anything from a
    486 upwards (pentium with at lease 128mb RAM better though - with 30 users a
    PII might be better.)

    Easy to set up and use. Just connect to an access point and away you go.

    Tony, Oct 20, 2005

  3. brendacchio

    Yves Leclerc Guest

    Look at adding "access" points to the router. It seems that the built-in
    wireless access point can not handle the amount of individual requests.

    Also, please note that most wireless networks devices are not "secured" out
    of the box.

    Yves Leclerc, Oct 20, 2005
  4. On 20 Oct 2005 07:51:21 -0700, "brendacchio" <> wrote:

    >Hello all,

    4 newsgroups? I just love to participate large cross postings.

    >I am running a small wireless network (30 users) at my school and it
    >seems that my D-Link 624 Wireless Router just can't cut it anymore.

    How can you tell? Have you measured the reouter thruput? Have you
    sniffed the traffic between the unspecified broadband connection and
    the DI-624? Do you have *ANY* idea what's moving on your network?

    >I am getting about 5-10 outages a day when the lab fills up.

    Outages or spectacular slowdowns? There's a big difference.

    My rule of thumb for wireless loading is:
    100 light web and email users.
    10 business type users.
    1 file sharing user or worm infected computer.
    How many *ACTIVE* laptops are running? Are you sure there aren't any
    users that you don't know about such as students in the parking lot or
    nearby neighbors? Have you looked at the log files or syslog? Do you
    have

    >I am
    >thinking I need to upgrade to a more powerful router.

    Powerful? Is the processor overloaded? Got any numbers as to how
    many bytes/sec is going in each direction? Is your unspecified
    broadband connection shared with other users or wireless contrivances
    in the skool? Are they hogging the bandwidth?

    >I tried to take
    >an old PC, install FreeBSD (failed!) and Ubuntu (failed!), and get it
    >to do NAT and Masquerading but I wasn't able to figure it out and I
    >don't have the time to do all of the research. Perhaps Suse would be
    >a viable option?

    That's a little like polishing the chrome to make the car go better.
    Perhaps you had better take a close look at what's moving on your
    network, who's on your network, what's causing the slowdown, and
    what's buried in the log files, before you tilt at windmills.

    >Does anyone know how I can use this old computer as a simple router and
    >hook up an access point?

    If you insist, I use Freesco.
    http://www.freesco.org

    >What about the Apple Airport Extreme? Should
    >that be able to handle the load? What's a good high-powered router
    >that I can find in the €500 range? The students do not do anything
    >out of the ordinary besides downloading and uploading photos and
    >printing.

    Incidentally, the DI-624 can do about 35Mbits/sec TCP thruput LAN to
    WAN connection. If your unspecified broadband connection is that
    fast, you might consider a different router. Meanwhile, Yves Leclerc
    has the right idea. Go shopping for 2 more access points (or routers
    configured as access points).

    --
    Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
    831.336.2558 voice

    Jeff Liebermann, Oct 21, 2005
  5. brendacchio

    brendacchio Guest

    Jeff Liebermann wrote:
    > On 20 Oct 2005 07:51:21 -0700, "brendacchio" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hello all,

    > 4 newsgroups? I just love to participate large cross postings.

    Just trying to be nice, that's all...

    > >I am running a small wireless network (30 users) at my school and it
    > >seems that my D-Link 624 Wireless Router just can't cut it anymore.

    > How can you tell? Have you measured the reouter thruput? Have you
    > sniffed the traffic between the unspecified broadband connection and
    > the DI-624? Do you have *ANY* idea what's moving on your network?

    I've checked the logs and nobody seems to be doing anything out of the
    ordinary. I'm in Italy and my internet connection is pretty basic.
    Testing it now I've got 300! The most significant strains seem to be
    when the students upload/download their dig photos to sites such as
    snapfish and ofoto.

    > >I am getting about 5-10 outages a day when the lab fills up.

    > Outages or spectacular slowdowns? There's a big difference.

    Outages. The router locks up and has to be restarted.

    > My rule of thumb for wireless loading is:
    > 100 light web and email users.
    > 10 business type users.
    > 1 file sharing user or worm infected computer.
    > How many *ACTIVE* laptops are running? Are you sure there aren't any
    > users that you don't know about such as students in the parking lot or
    > nearby neighbors? Have you looked at the log files or syslog? Do you
    > have

    No, we share the building with elderly priests and there is no
    indication that they are stealing our connection. It's password
    protected.

    > >I am
    > >thinking I need to upgrade to a more powerful router.

    > Powerful? Is the processor overloaded? Got any numbers as to how
    > many bytes/sec is going in each direction? Is your unspecified
    > broadband connection shared with other users or wireless contrivances
    > in the skool? Are they hogging the bandwidth?

    I turned off the log because the Dlink support site says that it may be
    hogging the router's resources.

    > >I tried to take
    > >an old PC, install FreeBSD (failed!) and Ubuntu (failed!), and get it
    > >to do NAT and Masquerading but I wasn't able to figure it out and I
    > >don't have the time to do all of the research. Perhaps Suse would be
    > >a viable option?

    > That's a little like polishing the chrome to make the car go better.
    > Perhaps you had better take a close look at what's moving on your
    > network, who's on your network, what's causing the slowdown, and
    > what's buried in the log files, before you tilt at windmills.
    >
    > >Does anyone know how I can use this old computer as a simple router and
    > >hook up an access point?

    > If you insist, I use Freesco.
    > http://www.freesco.org
    >
    > >What about the Apple Airport Extreme? Should
    > >that be able to handle the load? What's a good high-powered router
    > >that I can find in the €500 range? The students do not do anything
    > >out of the ordinary besides downloading and uploading photos and
    > >printing.

    > Incidentally, the DI-624 can do about 35Mbits/sec TCP thruput LAN to
    > WAN connection. If your unspecified broadband connection is that
    > fast, you might consider a different router. Meanwhile, Yves Leclerc
    > has the right idea. Go shopping for 2 more access points (or routers
    > configured as access points).

    Thanks!

    brendacchio, Oct 21, 2005
  6. On 21 Oct 2005 01:33:45 -0700, "brendacchio" <> wrote:

    >> >I am getting about 5-10 outages a day when the lab fills up.

    >> Outages or spectacular slowdowns? There's a big difference.

    >Outages. The router locks up and has to be restarted.

    Holdit. That's a total failure and should not happen. I've
    staturated the RF bandwidth of my assorted routers in various
    benchmark tests and only the defective routers lockup. Searching
    Google for "DI-624 overheats", I find that your lockup problem is
    apparently not uncommon.
    http://dslreports.org/shownews/46612
    This may be of interest:

    I don't think it's the quantity of traffic that's causing the hangs.
    300kbit/sec is really slow. A faster router will not help if you're
    using this particular DI-624 router as an access point, and will
    probably produce identical lockups. I suggest borrowing a differnt
    router or a later model DI-624 and trying a substitution.

    --
    Jeff Liebermann -cruz.ca.us
    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

    Jeff Liebermann, Oct 21, 2005
  7. On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 09:29:01 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
    <-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    >>Outages. The router locks up and has to be restarted.

    >Holdit. That's a total failure and should not happen. I've
    >staturated the RF bandwidth of my assorted routers in various
    >benchmark tests and only the defective routers lockup. Searching
    >Google for "DI-624 overheats", I find that your lockup problem is
    >apparently not uncommon.

    Here's one person that had to add a fan on their WGT-624. I drilled
    the case of a DI-604 rev B1 into Swiss cheeze to improve cooling.
    These are different model but you might be the same problem.

    Also, for another PC based router replacement, see:
    http://www.ipcop.org
    I just started playing with it and it looks really nice. Documentation
    also available in Italian.

    Jeff Liebermann, Oct 21, 2005
  8. On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 21:17:07 GMT, Jeff Liebermann
    <-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    >Here's one person that had to add a fan on their WGT-624. I drilled
    >the case of a DI-604 rev B1 into Swiss cheeze to improve cooling.
    >These are different model but you might be the same problem.

    Oops. I forgot to include the URL.
    http://forum1.netgear.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=4435

    Jeff Liebermann, Oct 21, 2005