    IP_desktop desktopname
    But, this did not change anything.

    Any help of how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated
    =?Utf-8?B?R3V5?=, Jul 23, 2006

  2. I would say that if you cannot ping the desktop, then there is some kind of
    firewall in place. Keep in mind that in order to get from the laptop to the
    desktop, you go through the wireless router. So, you should check here for
    a firewall also.

    Good luck!

    --
    Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

    no rights.

    Greg Lindsay [MSFT], Jul 26, 2006

  3. Thank you Greg for your advice, but the firewall on the wireless router is
    also turned off. And, I may be wrong, but I think that if the firewall would
    be the reason, then access to the laptop would also be denied.
    I did make one mistake in my posting. In the HOSTS file for the laptop I added
    IP_desktop desktopname
    and for the desktop
    IP_laptop laptopname

    Could there be any other reason, or does some utility exist that would allow
    me to analyse and debug the network in detail?

    Thanks,
    Guy

    =?Utf-8?B?R3V5?=, Jul 26, 2006
  4. It's quite common for a firewall to only block traffic originating from
    other hosts, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything that you can access the
    laptop from the desktop. The desktop can have an active firewall that
    allows it to see other machines, but prevents them from seeing it. This
    might not be the "windows firewall", but some other software that is
    filtering incoming traffic to your desktop.

    There are several utilities will probably help you to troubleshoot this. Do
    a search for network scanning tool and you'll find a lot of things that can
    pinpoint a filtered (firewalled) IP address on your network. Be careful
    using these tools on any IP addresses that don't belong to you, because this
    is often considered a violation of your ISP's EULA.

    --
    Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

    no rights.

    Greg Lindsay [MSFT], Jul 26, 2006
  5. Dear Greg,

    I figured out the problem. and I assume is really a win2k issue.
    When trying to get the properties of the desktop from the win xp machine, I
    was told that I did not have access rights, which indeed sounded like a
    firewall issue. But as the firewalls were all disabled, I had a feeling it
    must be something else.
    I then simply added the win xp user on the win 2k machine to "users", and
    .... problem is solved.

    =?Utf-8?B?R3V5?=, Jul 27, 2006
  6. I'm glad you solved the problem, but I'm a little confused about why that
    would prevent you from pinging the desktop.

    Congratulations though.

    --
    Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

    no rights.

    Greg Lindsay [MSFT], Jul 28, 2006
  7. Hello Greg,

    I need gto bother you again. Last weekend, I upgraded my win2k Pro desktop
    to win xp pro, hoping that networking would then be better.
    Big surprise when I now have the same problem again. From the laptop, I can
    access the desktop, but from the desktop, I can not even ping the laptop. If
    however I select top show the computers in the workgroup, then the 2 PCs are
    listed. I can however not check the properties of the laptop. I get a message
    "laptop_name" not found on this network.
    How do I correct this? All firewalls are turned off.

    Thank you very much for the help

    =?Utf-8?B?R3V5?=, Aug 2, 2006