    standard 3.5" drives?

    I would like to place backup in a hidden/safe place, as the most likely loss
    of data is through theft.
    Fredxx, Sep 23, 2009

  2. Fredxx

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    AFAIC Wireless is Not the way to go.
    1. It is slow in transfer.
    2. It is Not very stable.
    Howvevr if you sure thta you want to use Wireless, you need a Wireless
    Router and a NAS with a compatible card.
    I would wait few monthes until the new 802.11n standart devices are coming
    out. At least with 802.11n the speed would be decent.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack-MVP, Sep 23, 2009

  3. Fredxx

    Lem Guest

    Fredxx wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a standalone wireless storage device? Which can take
    > standard 3.5" drives?
    >
    > I would like to place backup in a hidden/safe place, as the most likely loss
    > of data is through theft.

    What are trying to do? A more usual method would be to use an external
    drive connected to the computer via USB or eSata, disconnect the drive
    after doing the backup, and then placing the drive in a locked cabinet
    or safe.

    Better, if you have a desktop/tower with an available drive bay, get a
    removable hard drive rack and a couple of drive trays.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
    Lem, Sep 23, 2009
  4. Fredxx

    smlunatick Guest

    On Sep 23, 1:23 pm, "Fredxx" <> wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a standalone wireless storage device?  Which can take
    > standard 3.5" drives?
    >
    > I would like to place backup in a hidden/safe place, as the most likely loss
    > of data is through theft.

    A stand-alone Network Access Storage (NAS) is definitely NOT
    recommended. Have you seen wireless networks that are extremely un-
    reliable.

    Since you have a wireless network, consider getting a standard NAS
    that connects to your wireless router via an Ethernet cable.
    smlunatick, Sep 23, 2009
  5. Fredxx

    Fredxx Guest

    "Jack-MVP" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > AFAIC Wireless is Not the way to go.
    > 1. It is slow in transfer.
    > 2. It is Not very stable.
    > Howvevr if you sure thta you want to use Wireless, you need a Wireless
    > Router and a NAS with a compatible card.
    > I would wait few monthes until the new 802.11n standart devices are coming
    > out. At least with 802.11n the speed would be decent.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    I already have a wireless router. But I want the wireless NAS to be remote
    and locked away. I'm less aware of wireless stability, perhaps I'm just
    lucky?

    Many thanks for you reply.
    Fredxx, Sep 23, 2009
  6. Fredxx

    Fredxx Guest

    "Lem" <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote in message
    > Fredxx wrote:
    >> Can anyone recommend a standalone wireless storage device? Which can
    >> take standard 3.5" drives?
    >>
    >> I would like to place backup in a hidden/safe place, as the most likely
    >> loss of data is through theft.
    >>

    > What are trying to do? A more usual method would be to use an external
    > drive connected to the computer via USB or eSata, disconnect the drive
    > after doing the backup, and then placing the drive in a locked cabinet or
    > safe.
    >
    > Better, if you have a desktop/tower with an available drive bay, get a
    > removable hard drive rack and a couple of drive trays.

    I want the wireless hard drive to be remote and locked away. I don't want
    to have to physically plug, unplug and move external drives.

    Many thanks for you reply.
    Fredxx, Sep 23, 2009
  7. Fredxx

    Fredxx Guest

    smlunatick wrote:
    > On Sep 23, 1:23 pm, "Fredxx" <> wrote:
    >> Can anyone recommend a standalone wireless storage device? Which can
    >> take standard 3.5" drives?
    >>
    >> I would like to place backup in a hidden/safe place, as the most
    >> likely loss of data is through theft.

    > A stand-alone Network Access Storage (NAS) is definitely NOT
    > recommended. Have you seen wireless networks that are extremely un-
    > reliable.
    >
    > Since you have a wireless network, consider getting a standard NAS
    > that connects to your wireless router via an Ethernet cable.

    Perhaps I've been lucky, but I haven't noticed wireless being particularly
    unreliable.

    Many thanks.
    Fredxx, Sep 23, 2009
  8. Hi
    There is a difference between reliability for heavy traffic that is
    generated by to secure HD backup, and regular Wireless traffic during
    Internet surfing.
    As an analogy, every one washes his hands, but Surgeon washes much more,
    otherwise he/she would harm the patient.
    In any case if you insist, here is an example for such a product,
    http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SkuSearch_v3.asp?SCriteria=AA73372
    I am not telling you that it is "Good or Bad", just providing a starting
    point.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Sep 24, 2009
  9. Fredxx

    Lem Guest

    Fredxx wrote:
    > "Lem" <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote in message
    >> Fredxx wrote:
    >>> Can anyone recommend a standalone wireless storage device? Which can
    >>> take standard 3.5" drives?
    >>>
    >>> I would like to place backup in a hidden/safe place, as the most likely
    >>> loss of data is through theft.
    >>>

    >> What are trying to do? A more usual method would be to use an external
    >> drive connected to the computer via USB or eSata, disconnect the drive
    >> after doing the backup, and then placing the drive in a locked cabinet or
    >> safe.
    >>
    >> Better, if you have a desktop/tower with an available drive bay, get a
    >> removable hard drive rack and a couple of drive trays.
    >>

    > I want the wireless hard drive to be remote and locked away. I don't want
    > to have to physically plug, unplug and move external drives.
    >
    > Many thanks for you reply.

    If you actually do this, don't forget that you will have to supply your
    locked enclosure with power and sufficient ventilation to keep the
    equipment from overheating. And although it's more secure, I strongly
    suggest that you don't put your wireless device inside a metal enclosure.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
    Lem, Sep 24, 2009
  10. Fredxx

    ohaya Guest

    Fredxx wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a standalone wireless storage device? Which can take
    > standard 3.5" drives?
    >
    > I would like to place backup in a hidden/safe place, as the most likely loss
    > of data is through theft.

    Hi,

    I've been using a couple of these:

    http://cptech-store.mwrc.net/en/product.php?product_id=30679

    it's quite nice, supports both an internal 2.5" drive and two
    USB2-connected drives, accessible via Windows sharing (samba) or FTP,
    and can act as an 11G access point. The drives are available via either
    wireless or a wired connection.

    I haven't used this feature, but I think it also supports WDS, which
    means if you put it somewhere where you don't have cabling, the device
    can connect wirelessly as a client and also act as an AP.

    I use a couple of these, one for my "internal" in-house shared storage,
    and one as an externally accessible FTP server.

    It runs a small embedded Linux, and there's a somewhat intermittently
    active community at:

    http://www.macsat.com/macsat/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,50/

    I also have the internal one working as a print server, so it's a kind
    of all-in-one thing for me :)...

    Jim
    ohaya, Sep 24, 2009
  11. Fredxx

    Daddy Guest

    I've been following this discussion with great interest, since I too have
    been considering wireless NAS and wondering why I can't find them in stores.
    Now I understand.

    To the OP: Backing up offsite is a sound idea. You might consider an online
    backup service, or FTP-ing to a remote web server. Some ISP's offer this in
    their service.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Sep 24, 2009
  12. Fredxx

    smlunatick Guest

    On Sep 24, 2:39 pm, "Daddy" <> wrote:
    > I've been following this discussion with great interest, since I too have
    > been considering wireless NAS and wondering why I can't find them in stores.
    > Now I understand.
    >
    > To the OP: Backing up offsite is a sound idea. You might consider an online
    > backup service, or FTP-ing to a remote web server. Some ISP's offer this in
    > their service.
    >
    > Daddy
    >
    > "Jack-MVP" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi
    > > AFAIC Wireless is Not the way to go.
    > > 1. It is slow in transfer.
    > > 2. It is Not very stable.
    > > Howvevr if you sure thta you want to use Wireless,  you need a Wireless
    > > Router and a NAS with a compatible card.
    > > I would wait few monthes until the new 802.11n standart devices are coming
    > > out. At least with 802.11n the speed would be decent.
    > > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > > "Fredxx" <> wrote in message
    > >> Can anyone recommend a standalone wireless storage device?  Which can
    > >> take standard 3.5" drives?

    > >> I would like to place backup in a hidden/safe place, as the most likely
    > >> loss of data is through theft.

    You might be able to set up some type of wireless "Network Access
    Storage" by setting a wireless "bridge" with the Ethernet "aware" hard
    drive.

    A wireless "bridge" will "extend" your wireless network distance and
    possibly give you more Ethernet ports.
    smlunatick, Sep 24, 2009
  13. Fredxx

    Fredxx Guest

    "ohaya" <> wrote in message

    > Fredxx wrote:
    >> Can anyone recommend a standalone wireless storage device? Which can
    >> take standard 3.5" drives?
    >>
    >> I would like to place backup in a hidden/safe place, as the most likely
    >> loss of data is through theft.
    >>

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been using a couple of these:
    >
    > http://cptech-store.mwrc.net/en/product.php?product_id=30679
    >
    > it's quite nice, supports both an internal 2.5" drive and two
    > USB2-connected drives, accessible via Windows sharing (samba) or FTP, and
    > can act as an 11G access point. The drives are available via either
    > wireless or a wired connection.
    >
    > I haven't used this feature, but I think it also supports WDS, which means
    > if you put it somewhere where you don't have cabling, the device can
    > connect wirelessly as a client and also act as an AP.
    >
    > I use a couple of these, one for my "internal" in-house shared storage,
    > and one as an externally accessible FTP server.
    >
    > It runs a small embedded Linux, and there's a somewhat intermittently
    > active community at:
    >
    > http://www.macsat.com/macsat/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,50/
    >
    > I also have the internal one working as a print server, so it's a kind of
    > all-in-one thing for me :)...

    Many thanks. Level One seem to have some good products but seem difficult
    to get hold off. I did read some articles which questioned the reliability
    of their power supplies, but that they otherwise functioned well.
    Fredxx, Sep 25, 2009
  14. Fredxx

    Fredxx Guest

    "smlunatick" <> wrote in message
    On Sep 24, 2:39 pm, "Daddy" <> wrote:
    > I've been following this discussion with great interest, since I too have
    > been considering wireless NAS and wondering why I can't find them in
    > stores.
    > Now I understand.
    >
    > To the OP: Backing up offsite is a sound idea. You might consider an
    > online
    > backup service, or FTP-ing to a remote web server. Some ISP's offer this
    > in
    > their service.
    >
    > Daddy
    >
    > "Jack-MVP" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi
    > > AFAIC Wireless is Not the way to go.
    > > 1. It is slow in transfer.
    > > 2. It is Not very stable.
    > > Howvevr if you sure thta you want to use Wireless, you need a Wireless
    > > Router and a NAS with a compatible card.
    > > I would wait few monthes until the new 802.11n standart devices are
    > > coming
    > > out. At least with 802.11n the speed would be decent.
    > > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > > "Fredxx" <> wrote in message
    > >> Can anyone recommend a standalone wireless storage device? Which can
    > >> take standard 3.5" drives?

    > >> I would like to place backup in a hidden/safe place, as the most likely
    > >> loss of data is through theft.

    You might be able to set up some type of wireless "Network Access
    Storage" by setting a wireless "bridge" with the Ethernet "aware" hard
    drive.

    A wireless "bridge" will "extend" your wireless network distance and
    possibly give you more Ethernet ports.
    I was starting to wonder if this might be an alternative route given
    availability and cost for wireless NAS. Many thanks.
    Fredxx, Sep 25, 2009