    Just for grins, I went back to the Wireless Network Setup Wizard today and the information I originally entered is still there. Should I remove this information? Is it going to somehow interfere with my network, or come back to haunt me in some other way?

    Thanks for your advice.

    Daddy
    Daddy, May 12, 2009

  2. Daddy

    Daddy Guest

    Re: Wireless Network Setup Wizard [Solved]

    Okay, you guys are terrific, but in this case Google was my friend.

    Despite its name, the Wireless Network Setup Wizard doesn't actually setup a wireless network. It merely provides a convenient way to create and store certain key configuration settings (e.g., SSID, WEP or WPA key) needed to setup a wireless network. You can either store the configuration settings on a USB flash drive (if you're one of the few who use WCN) or write them to a text file which you'll print out and use to setup your network manually.

    The Wizard saves your settings to make it easy to add devices to your network at a later time. It's probably possible to blank out what you previously entered, if you know where the data is saved, but it's much easier to just start the Wizard again and setup a 'dummy' network with 'dummy' settings. Since the Wizard only remembers your most recent settings, a snoop who runs the Wizard will be seeing the settings for a non-existent network.

    Daddy

    "Daddy" <> wrote in message news:%...
    [I have Windows XP Home SP 3.]

    I successfully setup my home wireless network. I setup the network using the configuration utility of my (D-Link) router, and I use Wireless Zero to manage the network. Everything works great.

    Before I knew what I was doing--which is to say, about a month ago--I used the Wireless Network Setup Wizard to setup a wireless network. I never understood what the Wizard was supposed to do for me, so I just ignored it and setup my network as described above.

    Daddy, May 12, 2009

  3. Hi
    There is No point "playing" with it, leave it as is.
    If you would need to change Network parameters, you can do it manually as
    you did before.
    Manually is always better.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\), May 12, 2009