Wireless Network Setup Wizard.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by PVR, Feb 25, 2009.

  1. PVR

    PVR Guest

    While trying to start a wireless network using Setup Wizard in auto
    mode I am instructed to use a Flash drive. Later in the procedure I am
    instructed to plug the Flash drive into my wireless access point
    (which I assume means my router). My router is a Linksys MRK54G and it
    does not have a USB socket.

    I then tried a Manual Setup. The first computer (of three) produced
    four codes. I added the first code into the other two PCs and now I
    have wireless connection to the 'net and e-mail. However I am still
    unable to share some files. I have an in-depth series of steps from a
    MS forum which should get me to fully share my folders/files but I
    don't want to perform these steps until I am sure my network is
    properly set up.

    My Question. Have I set up my wireless network correctly using Manual
    Setup? Unlike Automatic there did not appear to be any way to involve
    the router. If my manual setup is incorrect, what should I do?

    Many thanks,

    Peter.

    PVR, Feb 25, 2009

  2. PVR

    James Egan Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 08:31:23 -0500, "PVR" <>
    wrote:

    >I then tried a Manual Setup. The first computer (of three) produced
    >four codes. I added the first code into the other two PCs and now I
    >have wireless connection to the 'net and e-mail. However I am still
    >unable to share some files. I have an in-depth series of steps from a
    >MS forum which should get me to fully share my folders/files but I
    >don't want to perform these steps until I am sure my network is
    >properly set up.

    It appears you are trying to use WEP encryption which is not very
    good. Some would say hopeless.

    On the router, select WPA2-PSK if possible or failing that WPA-PSK

    WPA & WPA2 give much better security than WEP and the key exchange is
    much more user friendly.

    Once you have made the change to the router and entered a passphrase
    (use one which is about 20 characters long) enter the same information
    on the pc's in the wireless properties.

    Jim.

    James Egan, Feb 25, 2009

  3. Hi
    While the idea of the of AutoSetup via Flash drive is a good generic idea it
    is useless when the 3rd party manufacturers to not adhere to any agreed upon
    setup process. Thus it is better to configure the Wireless manually (It is
    pretty easy too).
    The general idea is describe here, but you have to read the Wireless Router
    manual since every Router has its own menu structure and sometime uses
    different verbal terms too.
    --------------------------------------
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    Switching Off SSID (same has No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed even if
    it is Off)
    MAC Filtering______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number can be
    easily Spoofed).
    -------------------
    The three above are Not considered safe.
    Safe Starts here at WPA.
    -------------------
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    Note 2: If you use WinXP bellow SP3 and did not updated it, you would have
    to download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.