Wireless network security

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by The Golfer's Wife, Mar 20, 2008.

  1. I have a Belkin ADSL modem with a wireless router on the main PC in
    the house. I have networked to my laptop (which has inbuilt wireless)
    and a second PC (using a Belkin wireless adapter). All works fine.

    When setting up the network I used the Windows Wizard and secured the
    network with a name and password (26 characters). I put these on a
    memory stick and transferred the security information to both the
    secondary PC and the laptop. All ok so far.

    I find I am still incurring uploads and downloads when the modem is
    turned on. Should this happen? Or do I need to secure the network
    even more rigidly? And if so, how?

    When I search for an available wireless network on the secondary PC
    there is only mine that shows. Does this indicate that no one near
    me has a wireless connection? (This is one option that I was asked to
    check.)

    I turned the power off at the wall for 24 hours (including the modem
    of course) and found there was no upload or download in that period.

    It may be that I am being unrealistic about my own usage. Could
    someone please give me an example of what would be involved in
    uploading 3.98mb and downloading 10.36mb. I never download music or
    videos or movies. Most of my usage is "surfing" the net, downloading
    and writing emails and some newsgroup activity - but not much of this.

    I would be glad of any help please.

    The Golfer's Wife
    The Golfer's Wife, Mar 20, 2008

  2. Hi
    Regular Internet surfing can result with such traffic.
    Since many people are using today fast broadband Webmasters are not so much
    worried about file sizes and with the Pictures ads etc, resulting in traffic
    that is higher than the Dialup era..
    That said, as long as you are using WPA and above you should be safe.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).