    3.0 GHz
    512 RAM
    WIN XP media

    Mike A, Mar 15, 2005

  2. Mike A

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Mike A" <> wrote in message
    news:fnrZd.54908$...
    > Hello,
    > I have bought my son a new PC, and I am in the process of trying set up
    > a network at my his apartment. His roommate has a wireless adapter in his
    > notebook. I have purchased a D-Link DI-624 wireless router, (802.11g),
    > and also a D-Link DWL-G132 wireless 108G USB adapter. Does one of the 2
    > computers have to me connected to the router via an Ethernet cable, or can
    > both computers go wireless, i.e., can my son's pc use the wireless USB
    > adapter?? The cable modem, is at this time in the living room, and the
    > two computers are in bedrooms, at opposite ends of the apartment. If
    > needed I can put the cable modem in my son's room, and hook via an
    > Ethernet cable. I can always return the USB adapter.
    >
    > Thanks, Mike
    >
    > Dell 8400
    > 3.0 GHz
    > 512 RAM
    > WIN XP media

    For configuration purposes, it's easier to use the CAT5 ethernet connection.
    After that, disconnect. The laptop probably has ethernet in it as well, so
    maybe that would be the easiest...use the laptop connected directly to set
    up the router, then get the desktop working, then disconnect the laptop and
    get it working. I've done that here locally for a friend - three computers
    in the house, no CAT5 anywhere except between the modem and router.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 15, 2005