Wireless network question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JED, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. JED

    JED Guest

    At home i'm running Dsl internet through a wired router (linksys befsr41)
    Two computers connect via the router's rj45 socket for the internet access.
    one upstairs one downstairs -What i would like to know though, is if i
    remove
    the ethernet card from the upstairs pc and replace with a wireless g card
    Install a wireless g card into the pc downstairs, (leaving the current
    ethernet card inplace)
    Would it still be possible for the pc upstairs to connect to the router for
    internet access.

    Unfortunately my router doesn't have wireless built in so i'm a little
    stuck.

    Someone mensioned you would have to bridge the ethernet connection and
    wireless
    connection downstairs together for this to work.
    But how is this done if this is right.

    Thanks for any help
    JED, Jun 21, 2004

  2. JED wrote:

    > At home i'm running Dsl internet through a wired router (linksys befsr41)
    > Two computers connect via the router's rj45 socket for the internet access.
    > one upstairs one downstairs -What i would like to know though, is if i
    > remove
    > the ethernet card from the upstairs pc and replace with a wireless g card
    > Install a wireless g card into the pc downstairs, (leaving the current
    > ethernet card inplace)
    > Would it still be possible for the pc upstairs to connect to the router for
    > internet access.

    With the proper software settings and if your house doesn't block the
    signal too much this should be possible.

    > Unfortunately my router doesn't have wireless built in so i'm a little
    > stuck.

    You could replace it with one that does.

    > Someone mensioned you would have to bridge the ethernet connection and
    > wireless
    > connection downstairs together for this to work.
    > But how is this done if this is right.

    Well, with modern windows you could do it with internet connection
    sharing.

    --
    Groeten/Regards
    Jeroen Wijnands
    Jeroen Wijnands, Jun 21, 2004

  3. JED

    Boomer Guest

    Ik denk dat je kan doorgaan als een gefrustreerde geadopteerde vliegenvanger. Ik vind jou een door de plee gespoelde verrotte boef. Straks vind ik je nog een afgelikte opgeklopte mietje.
    Boomer, Jun 21, 2004
  4. JED

    JED Guest

    Thanx for the reply
    It looks like i'll have to get a wireless router
    I've used ICS before through windows and i had
    slow net traffic most of the time.

    "Jeroen Wijnands" <4all.nl> wrote in
    message news:40d69c96$1$568$4all.nl...

    JED, Jun 21, 2004
  5. JED

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "JED" <> wrote in news:cb6d5b$324$:

    > Thanx for the reply
    > It looks like i'll have to get a wireless router
    > I've used ICS before through windows and i had
    > slow net traffic most of the time.

    You can get a WAP (Wireless Access Point) and plug it into the router and
    go on about your business.

    You don't need ICS, because the router you have is supposed to be the
    gateway device for the LAN and WAN and will allow the machines to share
    resources, even the ones that are connected to the WAP.

    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=608
    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-wireless.asp

    Your may want to look into the wireless security of the home network,
    using Google.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 21, 2004
  6. JED

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:24:28 +0100, JED wrote:

    >At home i'm running Dsl internet through a wired router (linksys befsr41)
    >Two computers connect via the router's rj45 socket for the internet access.
    >one upstairs one downstairs -What i would like to know though, is if i
    >remove
    >the ethernet card from the upstairs pc and replace with a wireless g card
    >Install a wireless g card into the pc downstairs, (leaving the current
    >ethernet card inplace)
    >Would it still be possible for the pc upstairs to connect to the router for
    >internet access.

    If you route between the 2 interfaces yes, however the 1 PC with the
    wired / wireless connection would need to be on all the time.

    >Unfortunately my router doesn't have wireless built in so i'm a little
    >stuck.

    In that case if you have a free port on the BEFSR41, plug in a Wireless
    Access Point, like
    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=538
    article http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/wlan.html

    >Someone mensioned you would have to bridge the ethernet connection and
    >wireless
    >connection downstairs together for this to work.

    Yes, but it can be messy.

    >But how is this done if this is right.

    For Win NT, simply click the routing box in TCPIP properties, requires 2
    network connections.

    For Win 2000, Start / Help same for XP.
    XP http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxpbrdge.htm

    Other articles
    http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/

    >Thanks for any help

    Me
    why?, Jun 21, 2004
  7. JED

    Boomer Guest

    why? wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:24:28 +0100, JED wrote:
    >
    >> At home i'm running Dsl internet through a wired router (linksys
    >> befsr41) Two computers connect via the router's rj45 socket for the
    >> internet access. one upstairs one downstairs -What i would like to
    >> know though, is if i remove
    >> the ethernet card from the upstairs pc and replace with a wireless g
    >> card Install a wireless g card into the pc downstairs, (leaving the
    >> current ethernet card inplace)
    >> Would it still be possible for the pc upstairs to connect to the
    >> router for internet access.

    > If you route between the 2 interfaces yes, however the 1 PC with the
    > wired / wireless connection would need to be on all the time.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You tard.

    Boomer, Jun 21, 2004
  8. JED

    JED Guest

    Thanx for the help guys n girls
    Specially Boomer, for calling me a tard

    JED, Jun 21, 2004
  9. JED

    Boomer Guest

    JED wrote:
    > Thanx for the help guys n girls
    > Specially Boomer, for calling me a tard

    I called the poster who replied to you a tard, you fucking tard. Learn to
    fucking read.

    <aside>
    Fucking tard.
    Boomer, Jun 21, 2004
  10. JED

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "JED" <> wrote in news:cb6d5b$324$:

    > Thanx for the reply
    > It looks like i'll have to get a wireless router
    > I've used ICS before through windows and i had
    > slow net traffic most of the time.

    If you are dead set on using wireless, just get yourself a wireless access
    point and plug it into your current router. Usually cheaper anyway.
    Jim Berwick, Jun 21, 2004