    Thanks very much for your time.

    Cheers

    Troy

    Kiwiboy, May 5, 2009

  2. In message <2e710edf-8e4e-46f8-8cf1-
    >, Kiwiboy wrote:

    > "The network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on
    > your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii
    > characters or 26 hexidecimal characters"

    Are you doing what it says?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 5, 2009

  3. Kiwiboy

    Kiwiboy Guest

    On May 5, 5:46 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <2e710edf-8e4e-46f8-8cf1-
    >
    > >, Kiwiboy wrote:
    > > "The network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on
    > > your network configuration.  This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii
    > > characters or 26 hexidecimal characters"

    > Are you doing what it says?

    What am I suppose to be doing? I am trying to put my network password
    in. I type it in and that is the message I get.
    Am not sure what you are meaning?

    Cheers

    Troy

    Kiwiboy, May 5, 2009
  4. Kiwiboy

    David Empson Guest

    Kiwiboy <> wrote:

    > I have put a wireless card into a spare desktop PC, to go online using
    > a Thomson wireless modem we got from Telecom.
    > When I go to enter in the network password key I get this error
    > message:
    > "The network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on
    > your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii
    > characters or 26 hexidecimal characters"
    >
    > Does anyone know why this is happening, and how I can fix it.

    What security method have you configured on the Thomson wireless router?
    Is it using WPA, or WEP?

    If it is using WEP, is your password a string of hexadecimal characters
    of exactly 10 or 26 characters, or is it a string of any text of exactly
    5 or 13 characters, or something else?

    The above error message implies that the computer is trying to connect
    to the wireless network using WEP, and it is expecting an exact length
    password, which you didn't type in correctly, or the password was
    rejected.

    40-bit WEP requires exactly 5 ASCII characters or 10 hex digits, while
    128-bit WEP requires exactly 13 ASCII characters or 26 hex digits. Some
    WEP implementations allow you to enter passwords in other formats, but
    they are generally incompatible with other implementations.

    If your router is using WPA for its wireless encryption, you probably
    need to select that method on the computer before entering the password.
    WPA passwords are more flexible - they need to be at least 8 characters.

    WPA has two major versions (WPA and WPA2), and they sometimes described
    by the encryption method (TKIP or AES). A router can be configured to
    allow computers to connect with either mode or just one of them.

    Another issue you might be running into is if you have a very old
    wireless card, it might not support WPA at all, in which case you would
    have to configure the router to use WEP instead.

    WEP should be avoided if possible, because it is easy for someone to
    crack the password. WPA-TKIP with a long password is much more secure,
    and WPA2-AES is better still.

    Side note: please don't post the same questions separately to nz.tech
    and nz.comp. Everyone subscribed to both groups reads your messages
    twice and responses are scattered over two groups, which results in many
    people wasting their time because the question was already answered
    elsewhere. If the question is about computers, then you should post it
    to nz.comp, not to nz.tech.

    If you insist on posting to both groups, then learn how to cross-post
    properly. I don't know exactly how Google Groups achieves this, but with
    a standard newsreader, the trick is to list both the newsgroups in the
    "Newsgroups" header of a single message, and also set the "Followup-To"
    header to point to one group only (nz.comp if the message is about
    computers). This means those of us with a proper newsreader will only
    see your message and replies once, and the replies are only in one
    newsgroup.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, May 5, 2009
  5. Kiwiboy

    Party Animal Guest

    Kiwiboy wrote:
    > Hi there
    >
    > I have put a wireless card into a spare desktop PC, to go online using
    > a Thomson wireless modem we got from Telecom.
    > When I go to enter in the network password key I get this error
    > message:
    > "The network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on
    > your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii
    > characters or 26 hexidecimal characters"
    >
    > Does anyone know why this is happening, and how I can fix it.
    >
    > Thanks very much for your time.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Troy

    Why it is happening.
    Maybe you have an 802.11b wireless card.
    There are two types of wifi security WEP and WPA
    Older 802.11b cards use WEP and newer 802.11g cards use WPA.
    The network password you are being asked for is the older WEP type and
    if you have been used to typing in a password in a different form your
    router is probably set for WPA
    How can you fix it
    Either run WPA with all 802.11g clients with a suitable passphrase
    probably the one you are used to
    Or WEP with 802.11b and g clients with 40 bit or 104 bit key as
    described in the error message.

    Party Animal, May 5, 2009
  6. In message <gtoqcs$c0e$>, Party Animal wrote:

    > There are two types of wifi security WEP and WPA

    There are 3 types of Wi-Fi security: WEP, TKIP and AES. WEP has long been
    worthless, and TKIP was cracked last year. Make sure you use AES.

    WPA allows for either TKIP or AES; WPA-2 requires AES support.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 5, 2009