Wireless Network Problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?S2luZ0h1c3NpZW4=?=, Jan 7, 2006.

  1. I just bought a Linksys Wireless Router with Wireless Notebook adapter. I set
    it all up and everything, thinking this would be a cake walk, but soon
    realize that that isn't the case.

    This is how my network is setup:

    Desktop Computer:
    -Wired to router
    -Runs WinXP Home SP2

    Laptop Computer:
    -Wireless to router
    -Runs WinXP Home SP2

    DSL Modem
    -Wired to router

    Both computers connect to the router and the internet fine.

    Now the problem I'm having is that I can't access my desktops shared files
    from my laptop, but I can the other way around. This is the exact error I
    get:

    Quote:
    \\Desktop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    network resource. Contact the admin to see if you have access permissions.

    Logon Failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
    this computer.

    I read somewhere that Home doesn't allow users to modify permissions or turn
    off Simple File Sharing, but found out that there was a way: Boot into
    safemode with networking. There I enabled all groups to have full control.
    Also I created a server\\guest user and gave that account full control. Well
    it didn't work, but now on my desktop computer I see a shared folder that is
    definitely on neither of my comps. I'm pretty sure I'm accessing another
    persons wireless network.

    I would love to be able to access my laptop from my desktop and vice versa,
    but so far its seeming to be impossible.

    Any help to my dilemma is much appreciated.

    Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?S2luZ0h1c3NpZW4=?=, Jan 7, 2006

  2. "KingHussien" wrote:

    > I just bought a Linksys Wireless Router with Wireless Notebook adapter. I set
    > it all up and everything, thinking this would be a cake walk, but soon
    > realize that that isn't the case.
    >
    > This is how my network is setup:
    >
    > Desktop Computer:
    > -Wired to router
    > -Runs WinXP Home SP2
    >
    > Laptop Computer:
    > -Wireless to router
    > -Runs WinXP Home SP2
    >
    > DSL Modem
    > -Wired to router
    >
    > Both computers connect to the router and the internet fine.
    >
    > Now the problem I'm having is that I can't access my desktops shared files
    > from my laptop, but I can the other way around. This is the exact error I
    > get:
    >
    > Quote:
    > \\Desktop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    > network resource. Contact the admin to see if you have access permissions.
    >
    > Logon Failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
    > this computer.
    >

    > I read somewhere that Home doesn't allow users to modify permissions or turn
    > off Simple File Sharing, but found out that there was a way: Boot into
    > safemode with networking. There I enabled all groups to have full control.
    > Also I created a server\\guest user and gave that account full control. Well
    > it didn't work, but now on my desktop computer I see a shared folder that is
    > definitely on neither of my comps. I'm pretty sure I'm accessing another
    > persons wireless network.
    >
    > I would love to be able to access my laptop from my desktop and vice versa,
    > but so far its seeming to be impossible.
    >
    > Any help to my dilemma is much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I wish I could help you because I'm having the same problem.

    My network was running fine--file sharing no problem. I kept my shared files
    in "Network Places" where it waas easy to access.

    This morning my Network Places folder was empty! My laptop is unable to
    share with anyone.

    Could this be a virus?

    =?Utf-8?B?ZHJfbWFiZXVzZQ==?=, Jan 8, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?S2luZ0h1c3NpZW4=?=

    J Guest

    >> This is how my network is setup:
    >>
    >> Desktop Computer: >> -Wired to router
    >> Laptop Computer: >> -Wireless to router
    >> DSL Modem >> -Wired to router
    >> Both computers connect to the router and the internet fine.

    If your dsl modem is also a router, you may have the same
    problem I had, with conflicting addresses

    Go to my online notes http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM
    and click the wireless network link near the top... may help

    J, Jan 8, 2006
  4. King, numerous people, including me, have the exact same problem. Obviously
    MS has yet to solve the problem. Keep watching this newsgroup for updates, I
    will be.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2tib3Q=?=, Jan 9, 2006