    - and think I did - but I'm not sure if it worked or if there are other steps
    necessary. Does anyone know how to set it up so I can print from my notebook
    downstairs to my local printer on my home computer upstairs?

    =?Utf-8?B?RG91Zw==?=, Jul 12, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RG91Zw==?=

    DS NTE Guest

    On your desktop, find the printer (Control panel - printers), right click on
    the printer icon, select sharing, choose "Share this printer", give it a
    name, OK. On your notebook you shuld now be able to connect to the printer
    on your desktop...

    Sorry if this explanation is not understandable, english is not my native
    language, but I think you will be able to sort this out.

    Knut

    DS NTE, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Thanks for your help. I think I tried that, but will try again. Does the name
    on the desktop and notebook have to be the same? What settings should I
    change on the notebook, if any?

    Doug

    =?Utf-8?B?RG91Zw==?=, Jul 12, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?RG91Zw==?=

    DanR Guest

    Once you enable "sharing" of your printer (from desktop) ... from your laptop
    choose "add printer" then select "from network" (or some similar verbiage)
    Browse to the printer. In theory the "driver" will be sent via the network from
    the desktop computer to the laptop and installed.
    Sometimes there are problems when the operating systems are not the same and you
    have to manually install the printer driver on the remote computer.
    Also... I don't remember if you have to first "network" the computers. If so,
    use the network wizard. You will have to have a common "workgroup" name. This
    can by any name you want.
    Don't "share" the entire computer. Meaning don't share you C drive. If you do
    setup a network and want to share files... just share one folder and copy files
    into that folder to make them available to the other computer. Also make the
    shared folder "read only". I think that works best for the typical home network.

    DanR, Jul 12, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?RG91Zw==?=

    Knut Guest

    Hi Doug

    Your desktop and notebook are connected to the same network, right ? Your
    description is not very clear on that point. If they both are on the same
    network try to install the shared printer from your notebook. You could also
    try to share one of the folders on your desktop, are you able to access that
    from your notebook ?

    Knut
    (same guy, different location)

    Knut, Jul 12, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?RG91Zw==?=

    Mud

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    2005 ????

    Admin, why is there content from 2005 posted?
    This page comes up as a search on Google.
    This is the issue with old ****, it becomes part of the problem as far as slogging through useless old outdated crap like you've got posted here!
    Delete the page or better yet be part of the solution, shut your server off!

    Mud, Dec 27, 2012