wireless network printer sharing

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?dmdlcnMy?=, Feb 2, 2007.

  1. I have a Linksys Wireless-G Super Boost router connected to my desktop. I
    also have an Epson CX3810 printer connected to my desktop. I have a wireless
    laptop that accesses the internet via the router. I am having a problem
    setting the printer up to print from the laptop.

    I set up and named a home network and gave my desktop and the laptop a
    workgroup name. I set up the Epson printer to be a shared printer and gave
    it the name "Den". I also disabled my McAfee Personal Firewall.

    On the laptop, I ran the Add Printer Wizard and selected "A network printer,
    or a printer attached to another computer". I clicked Next, then selected
    Browse for a printer. The only name displayed in the "Shared printers:" box
    is "Microsoft Windows Network". When I typed the printer name "Den" in the
    Printer: field, then clicked Next, the error message displayed is "Windows
    cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly,
    or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server. For more
    information, click Help." After rechecking all that I have set up / done, I
    ran the Add a Printer Wizard again and ran into the same error message.

    I checked the Newsgroup page of the Microsoft site, and read the article
    "Share Your Printer Over a Home Network Using Windows XP" by Jerry Honeycutt,
    Windows XP Expert Zone Community Columnist Published: July 2, 2001. I
    re-followed his steps, which were basically the same that I outlined above,
    and came up with the same error message.

    Am I missing something? Did I miss a step? I think I tried everything.

    Can anybody help please?
    =?Utf-8?B?dmdlcnMy?=, Feb 2, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?dmdlcnMy?=

    Gordon Guest

    "vgers2" <> wrote in message
    > On the laptop, I ran the Add Printer Wizard and selected "A network
    > printer,
    > or a printer attached to another computer". I clicked Next, then selected
    > Browse for a printer. The only name displayed in the "Shared printers:"
    > box
    > is "Microsoft Windows Network".

    No "+" sign next to that? You need to expand Microsoft Windows network....
    Gordon, Feb 2, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?dmdlcnMy?=

    David Hettel Guest

    Have you doubled click on "Microsoft Windows Network"? Normally you'd get a
    list of network names, double click and then a list of servers (computers)
    then a list of resources. Or how are you entering the printer name?
    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Feb 2, 2007
  4. I have a similar issue with my Linksys Wireless G router, but I think it is
    just my misunderstanding of how to set up the network. I set up the host PC
    in Network Setup Wizard just fine, so it seems. But can't see it from the
    laptop with Linksys wireless card. I get the internet from the host fine.
    Do the workgroup names of each pc have to be different for the network to set
    up correctly? It seems to me they would be the same, with the computer
    name's each different though. Am I wrong?
    --
    Barry Guidry

    =?Utf-8?B?QmFycnk=?=, Feb 2, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?dmdlcnMy?=

    Lem Guest

    Barry wrote:
    > I have a similar issue with my Linksys Wireless G router, but I think it is
    > just my misunderstanding of how to set up the network. I set up the host PC
    > in Network Setup Wizard just fine, so it seems. But can't see it from the
    > laptop with Linksys wireless card. I get the internet from the host fine.
    > Do the workgroup names of each pc have to be different for the network to set
    > up correctly? It seems to me they would be the same, with the computer
    > name's each different though. Am I wrong?

    Barry,

    You would do better to start your own thread with a descriptive subject
    line and add a little more description of your problem.

    See http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    In general, workgroup name doesn't really matter, but if you are going
    to rely on it, all of the computers in your local network should have
    the same workgroup name. Each computer must have its own unique
    computer name.

    If your laptop can access the Internet through its wireless card, but
    can't see the other computer or access files/printers on the other
    computer, see this advice from MS-MVP Malke:

    <quote>

    This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
    Network Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable File &
    Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
    on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    Simple File Sharing enabled.

    resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    matters in your situation.

    Shared Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
    </quote>

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Feb 2, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?dmdlcnMy?=

    BruceM Guest

    To the original poster...........
    Technically it isn't a networked printer unless it has a Cat5 cable
    connection & it's own IP address.
    Really it is just a printer connected to one or the other computer & is
    shared ON THE NETWORK. (or by the computers connected to it)
    It's long time since I did it but try just chucking the shared printer icon
    into your shared folder.
    Should show up in "show network places" I think.
    First make sure you can share a file one way & then back the other way &
    then proceed from there.

    BruceM, Feb 3, 2007
  7. Well, after hours of searching for answers I have finally found the reason
    that I could not access shared files over what appeared to be a perfectly
    network setup...it is all because of a Vonage VOIP phone adapter that I have
    connected to my router. I visited Vonage's website support for routers and
    it stated that the router, a Linksys WRT54G, should be configured as internet
    connection type "PPPoE" with the MTU set to "1500". So I then called Linksys
    tech support to see how to change the configuration. They said that I need
    to un-bridge the modem first before making the change from DHCP to PPPoE
    configuration. I was too tired to do it now though, at midnight. It seems
    that it needs to have a static IP address rather than a dynamic one.
    --
    Barry Guidry

    =?Utf-8?B?QmFycnk=?=, Feb 10, 2007