    the computer in the other room, I have picked up a network from somewhere
    else in my neighborhood, but not from the computer in the next room. What
    should I do?

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=, Nov 5, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=

    __spc__ Guest

    "James" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have two computers connected to the internet through a router. I was
    > wanting to network the two so that I could share files. I have tried
    > everything. I set up a home wirless network, a small home netowrk, and
    > made
    > workgroups. However, my two computers still cannot share with each other.
    > On
    > the computer in the other room, I have picked up a network from somewhere
    > else in my neighborhood, but not from the computer in the next room. What
    > should I do?

    Firewalls?

    __spc__, Nov 6, 2005

  3. This computer has zone alarm, but I configured the ip range to be 192.168.0.0
    - 192.168.0.255. I got that range from another post in the newsgroup, but I'm
    using Linksys, so I'm gonna guess it was the wrong range.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=, Nov 6, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=

    Malke Guest

    James wrote:

    > This computer has zone alarm, but I configured the ip range to be
    > 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.255. I got that range from another post in the
    > newsgroup, but I'm using Linksys, so I'm gonna guess it was the wrong
    > range.

    It makes a lot more sense to examine your own equipment before taking
    settings from a newsgroup post. The Linksys default network is
    192.168.1.x so your range should be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. However,
    the router's IP address/subnet is configurable so you should *check*
    unless you know the settings weren't changed from default.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Nov 6, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=

    DanR Guest

    Turn OFF your computer firewalls and get things to work. Then if file sharing
    fails when you turn the firewall back on you know where to start
    troubleshooting.
    You are not in serious danger turning your local firewall off for a while if you
    are behind your router.

    DanR, Nov 6, 2005