Wireless Network Not Showing Up (when WEP)?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?cnhzaWQ=?=, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. Hi All,

    I was running D-link DI-624 wireless router. My desktop was connected to the
    net no problem (For years) using a D-Link AirPlus Extreme G DWL-G520 Adapter.
    My work laptop was able to connect as well. I had WEP enabled.

    Now, I've upgraded to the Dlink DI-634M so that my kids computers upstairs
    and at the other end of the house could get a better signal (supposedly).

    Anyway, w/o WEP enabled, my laptop and desktop can connect no problem.
    However, even though my desktop can connect, if I try to view available
    networks...nothing shows up. The advanced button is not even enabled. The
    only option is the cancel button.

    When I enable the WEP, I can find my network in the available networks and
    connect to it no problem with my laptop. However, my desktop now will not
    connect. And, again there is no available networks to find even though I'm
    broadcasting my networks name. The advanced button isn't enabled either so I
    can't even type in the network name.

    Why would I not be able to see or do anything at all except cancel, when I
    look at the 'available networks' on my desktop which is running win xp pro
    sp1???

    Thanks!

    P.S. The "Wireless Networks" tab is completely missing from my desktop
    'Wireless Network Connection Properties' window when I right click on the
    wireless tray icon. I was there with the previous router...but not this
    one?!?!?! And as mentioned, if WEP is not enabled...I can connect with the
    desktop. Also, I appear to be virus free with full scans using Microsoft's
    AntiSpyWare and LavaSofts Ad-Aware SE. I also can see in the hardware device
    manager that the wireless adapter in the desktop is functioning properly.

    =?Utf-8?B?cnhzaWQ=?=, Mar 27, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cnhzaWQ=?=

    Socrates Guest

    Hi - have you tried adding your network to the preferred networks list AND selecting windows to connect automatically?

    www.amw1.com/tips

    Socrates, Mar 28, 2006